1977 Mk1 show/club car (13/4/08)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by H8SV8S, Dec 22, 2004.

1. H8SV8S Forum Member

Worked all day on the wiring and brake system today and made a lot of progress. Also had a heatshield fabbed up for the clutch cable and wiring as it runs along the bulkhead, then polished it up :)

Still have a lot to do, including tuning the computer, as it's currently mapped for a straight T4-fed Cordoba 16vT race car [|)]

Also working on the crankcase ventilation and recirculating the heater hoses back into the head (wasn't at all happy with how I bodged this for phase one!).

All the brakelines are run through, but I still need to make new fuel lines, as I need them to run up the passenger side of the engine bay instead.

I've been working on a battery tray for the car to mount under the passenger seat, but I broke the M6 tap today, so that put a stop on things [8(]

One of the major issues with a RHD 16vT in a small Mk1 bay is obviously controlling the heat, but it's hard to tell quite how things will turn out before the car has seen a decent drive.

Could harp on forever, but I don't have pics today, so I might aswell stop :lol:

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Do you have any more info on that fuel system?

3. H8SV8S Forum Member

It's just an 044 main pump off the surge tank there, and it's all fed by a Pierburg auxillary pump straight off the tank, with an in-line filter setup aswell.

The setup in the pic sits where the raintray used to be and the new fuel lines are relocated to the passenger side of the bay so they're on the opposite side to the turbo :)

I'm using Aeroquip Pushlock hose for the engine bay stuff and will use a combination of bent alloy hose and braid to get from the tank to the bay.

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

Why not locate in the boot ... is it not risky placing it in the `bay` ?

5. H8SV8S Forum Member

It's just tad bit riskier inside the open car than in a sealed engine bay, behind the firewall ;) It's where it is because it's the most servicable, safe position we could come up with :) More pics tomorrow

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks, look forward to those ...

7. MK3_GPP Forum Member

Another amazing MK1 rebuild :clap:

8. timbutjack Forum Member

so you still have the blue one, right?

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

10. H8SV8S Forum Member

Yep - bluey is very much in bits and awaiting another respray as soon as I can be bothered ;)

Most of the suspension parts on the new white car will go back onto the blue car, but I can't afford the pending DMS 40mm struts yet [|)] :p

Running late with the pics, but the next update should include some 16vT noises [:*:]

11. Aphex Forum Junkie

Excellent :thumbup:

12. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

oh

my

god

get the f' out mate.. lol you cant be doing a turbo abf and make it that nice, that just NOT fair!!

looks amazing mate..

what ecu are you running?

I'm just about to get my abf running on my eaton supercharger, should be getting around 280bhp, we'll have to have a drag ;)

I love that vdo boost gauge, any advice on sourcing one? I want one that says "boost" instead of turbo.

13. H8SV8S Forum Member

Haha :lol: I thought about a charger (actually prefer them to turbos) but there was bugger all space up front and I wasn't keen on putting one at the back of the engine - turbo was nice and easy :p

I'm using a VEMS v3.3 ECU, but can't comment on how good it is yet. I actually bought it with a plug and play kit so installing it was easy [:D] :lol:

I just bought my boost gauge from a local VDOSiemens distributor - can't be hard to find on there surely?

I'm getting the camera out today to snap some shots [:D]

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

Hurry up then :lol: ;)

15. mk1steve Forum Member

seconded:lol:

16. joe_bo Forum Member

wow i loved this car in its first guise from the moment i first saw it in golf + and it has kept me going all the time through my abf swap. Now it is just on another level all together. One word WOW

17. DOLLARS Forum Member

beautiful, the best build thread on the net.
    Thank you.

18. Carl Bear New Member

Just read through the whole thread and im amazed at the amount of work and time gone into it.
    I cant wait to start my project.

Love the car, cant wait to see this one finished.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

19. H8SV8S Forum Member

Finally got a chance to upload some pics :)

Most of the little vaccuum lines etc have been run, but still have to finish cutting the silicone down to size for the intercooler piping.

I'm using a Sard rising rate FPR, which is a very neat little thing:

[​IMG]

Welded on a -10 Speedflow bung to the rocker cover as a good breather setup is a must for a 16vT. I did buy a new Beetle oil cap breather, but it looked ugly and the placement is right above a cam lobe, so hardly ideal:

[​IMG]

Speedflow and Earls fittings are used throughout. Ceramic-coated stainless DP from BBM is in place too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also waiting on the overflow bottle to be made, but that isn't due until the 18th. The car is taking a lot longer than expected this time, as there's been so much time spent waiting for parts - getting stuck in properly around Christmas time didn't help the delay problems either!!

A lot more progress will be made again this coming week with pics to follow of course :)

20. joe_bo Forum Member

looks absolutely awesome, making me think twice about just having a standard abf :)