1992 mk3 Golf Gti 8v engine into my mk2 caddy van

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by leodis2, Mar 6, 2019.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Ok cool now you have noted the codes, clear them and take it for a drive see if they come back, try to reproduce the issue also. With vagcom plugged in you can check the ECU measuring blocks to see sensor inputs in real time, when it's playing up watch the engine room it should go up while cranking. If not then look at dizzy and wiring to it :)

2. leodis2 Forum Member

HI there thanks for your reply i will clear them tomorrow and see if they return do you think there is a connection with the faults been air and exhaust gases many thanks H

3. rubjonny

lambda sensor code wouldnt cause this I wouldn't have thought, the ones that would more likely affect starting are the 2 for the AFM. but all these codes might be old and have nothing to do with the problem you're having at the moment, so lets see if they come back before worrying about them :)

4. leodis2 Forum Member

ok thanks again i have erased them now i have van up off wheels at the moment doing exhaust knocking and adjusting coilovers so i will give it a run when i can and then rescan it Thanks again H

5. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi. got the van back down on its wheels today after a fight with the exhaust... I cleared the codes, then took it for a run of about 3 miles. Lost power and backfired into life then ran ok for maybe a mile or so then lost power again ..no back fire then ran ok for about a mile, then lost power and cut out altogether and came to a stop!
    It started straight away and got it home with no further issues. The only time any light came on the dash was when it came to a total stop.
    I put it back on the code reader and no codes showing ??? totally bamboozled :(

6. rubjonny

Dis the rev counter go nuts or did it just cut to 0 every time? Any chance you can hear the fuel pump if it runs on for a bit after cutting out? How does the coilpack look, worth trying another if you have one sat about. Has it had a new ECU relay, those can go bad. What about the fuel pump itself, does your tank have the locking cradle for it to sit inside?

7. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. After my last post I went back to garage and started the van. It ticked over lovely for 5 mins then suddenly cut out and now will not start.
    Going back to your questions when it cut out completely the rev counter came down to zero slowly as the van came to a stop... I can hear the fuel pump priming and then coming to a stop on the relay. The coil pack is a brand new one ....I have ordered a new ecu relay (30) ... No the fuel pump does not have a locking cradle...( what I did with the tank was I removed the original sender unit and replaced it with a mk4 fuel pump/sender unit held in place with the locking nut)

I have done some tests and I am getting a good spark from the distributor/coil pack....also tested the hall sensor connector and got a good earth and 12v on the two outside pins.
    I was going to test the Maf sensor but as its not running now I am unable to do that..also my van will only run with the Maf sensor plugged in?

Thank H

8. leodis2 Forum Member

Right just disconnected the fuel line and put the line from the tank into a bottle ... No fuel! ..checked the fuse 18 and that is ok.
    Removed relay 80, and replaced it with a 18 relay, still no fuel!. so thinking it is a fuel pump problem...but its still priming but not pumping??

9. rubjonny

right then, pull the pump out and have a look :)

10. leodis2 Forum Member

Thanks..Will do. just wanted second opinion :thumbup:

11. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi. Just accessed the pump and removed the plug and tested it with a multimeter.
    On initial ignition i'm getting 12.2v then dropping to zero, then when cranking the engine its going up to 10.6v, does this appear correct? and if so I can assume its a faulty pump. Btw the pump was a second hand pump, I have a new one on order. Thanks H

12. rubjonny

sounds about right yep, if you disconnect the feed pipe from it and run to a bucket does it push any fuel out?

13. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi ..Yes I put a pipe into a bottle, the pump is priming but not pumping when cranking the engine.

Also the original fuel cap on the caddy was obviously for diesel fuel (not a vented cap).. Do I need a vented fuel cap to allow air into the tank now its a petrol engine? I wondered if I could be getting air locks. Thanks again for your help :thumbup:

14. rubjonny

99% sure thats not a problem. the cap is same for petrol and diesel mk2/mk3, and on the mk2 the tank is same for all models. the mk3 type tank is similar design so i cant see caddy being an issue apart from the lack of pump cradle which you've sorted

15. leodis2 Forum Member

Right cheers for that.. Just waiting for the new pump (thursday)

That will be almost every part that i have replaced with new...... What could possibly go wrong :lol:

16. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi.. Fitted new pump today. Took it for a run and all ok. Phew! ...Also changed the ECU relay as I bought one just in case that had gone .
    Thanks again for all your help. :thumbup:

17. rubjonny

awesome sauce :)

18. leodis2 Forum Member

can i just ask you about a front brake upgrade i just want to make them better without changeing master cyclinder or servo, i have 15inch ats cups

19. rubjonny

if you have 256mm at the moment then you can just bolt on 280mm from pre-96 mk3 gti, 16v or vr6 in scrappy. same stuff as cortrado & golf g60 but much easier to find :)

if 239mm then as above but you also need bearign carriers from mk2 16v or g60, same units can be found on larger engine caddy van, bigger engine non-gti mk3 golf and cabrio, polo saloon or estate (not hatch!!) plus seat ibiza, cordoba or toledo. mk3 cabrio seem to be easiest donor to find in scrappy these days

erreesse likes this.
  20. leodis2 Forum Member

ok thanks again thats my next task will start to look around for them H