1st Engine Mods

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Marc9, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Bundles Forum Junkie

LMFAO! you are so far up your own **** only your toes are left showing man.

Sprint racing? hardly as in depth as the sidecar racing background i'm from now is it? Would you see a drilled airbox on a sidecar? 5hit no, but this is hardly a race car is it?

which part did you not understand? you DO NOT gain much from a drilled airbox, especially not 300bhp you tw*t. I AM NOT a boy racer and "the standard airbox doesn't draw in hot air"? wtf? it has a f*cking hot air feed from the exhaust manifold heat shield ffs!

Going on and saying things like "you go girl" and "ok mum"? dude, who exactly are you trying to impress? you really need to get a life, go get laid or something. Go find someone who cares about your willy waving and trying to be an internet forum hero.

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

from "my" experiance, i would not bother drilling my airbox again (in fact, i want to get new air box to replace my drilled one).

i am going to keep the standard wing intake and then convert the warm air intake to draw cold air. the engine is not likely to need much more air than that, and it wont make loads of noise either!

does anyone know what that trumpet in the top of the air box is meant to do?

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Hi mate

First post and you've started an argument already ! [8-}]

I think what they meant to say was... welcome to the forum, thanks for asking our advice but you may or may not achieve what yr looking for. The mods yr planning on doing will "if any" only give a small power increase (depending entirely on which combination of parts you use... everyone tried "every" combination ?), which unfortunately are likely to be absorbed by the weight that a MK3 carries. But then again, yr unlikely to be reading this now as you've probably jumped ship already to another forum.

Its not always like this.... :hug:

4. Marc9 New Member

lol thanx guys! yeah I appreciate all your advice so far but no need 2 argue! have tried drilling the airbox on other cars I've had and also a K&N induction kit and found that there wasn't much performance gain as you've said, just more noise

5. S1MMA Forum Member

Not wanting to continue this any more, I'll reply to this and leave it there.

The problem is not my understanding of what a drilled airbox does, it's your beliefs that you know more about engine tuning (with your drill) than either a major manufacturer, or any race team out there that extract more power from compromised road engines. Laughable really.

Decent advice has been given on how to really get more power out of this engine, it's best to work with the restrictive head, getting some uprated cams (etc... etc...) which when used in tandem with each other and other mods can actually make a limited difference (but at a rediculous price that's blatently not worth it).

Tell you what, do a few more "how to" guides on the advanced tuning of the MK3 8V lump, with your proven results (i.e. drilling holes in an airbox = faster car, everyone go do it, yay!), maybe next you can go for: "Turbo Zet - installation and setup guide, only for advanced users, at least 30bhp+ gained - cos it defo feels faster innit".

I think it's obvious for anyone to understand my points, and how your arguments lack credibility. All I am trying to do is to save people new to the scene from having false beliefs and expectations (we're talking about people spending their hard earned cash and time on what a c0ck smoker like you is advising), and it's fanboy monkeys like you who believe that (for example) if they get a thicker headgasket they will get 3.495 bhp that have created this false tuning market, with rip off artists selling resistors that both improve power output and f*ck up your engine in the process. There's sellers on ebay with 10,000 feedback selling crap and people buy it because of these recommendations.

So how about you take your head out of your own butt, wake up, smell the coffee, stop believing in all this crap and try to learn something from the peeps on here that actually know something. I'm no engine tuner, I'm no automotive engineer, I'm not the expert, but I can sure see some steaming hot bull**** when I read it, and thats why I'm making my points.

I can see you're not the sharpest tool in the box (that means you are a couple of beers short of a 6 pack, you're a few fries short of a Happy Meal, you don't know whether to scratch your watch or wind your balls, you have two brains; one is lost and the other is out looking for it, your mouth is in gear - brain is in neutral, capiche? (thats not french - incase you've gone looking for your french-to-retard dictionary)), but I'm sure you can get your head around this, at least I hope you can.

Cheers,

[:D] S1MMA [:D]

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

[:|]

in summary, drilled airbox bad [><]

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well i get the impression that it is breathing air from under my bonnet

drilled airbox = not as bad as an 'inudction kit'?

8. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

i dont think either is a bad thing, both are going to be noisier which younger members might like. it depends how either is done, i think no one would disagree that what you dont want in general is warm air being fed to the engine so some form of cold feed would be needed whichever.

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

erm you two does it really matter?

erm.. no lol... chill guys..

10. oakey Forum Member

Welcome matey.

Now look what you have started :lol:.

It is a fair first question as we all ask it when we get our first GTi. Here is my advice (and it is only advice) I am no expert - infact I know nothing:lol: . But I asked the very same question with my my MK4 & Mk2.

You will always get different opinions - and that is exactly what forums are about, sharing knowledge and experience. Also go find a decent independant VW specilist in your area, get to know them and ask them for their opinion also (if you find a decent one they will tell you what and what not to spend money on).

This is now the important thing....take all the advice, and make your own decision, it is your car and your pride&joy. Modding is a personal thing - imo I ask around then make a decision and go for it - this is the only real way to learn.

Good luck mate on your first mods and next time ask a easier question like - "How can we make World peace" :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. G60. Forum Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: this is why i luv the forum!!!

12. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

:clap:

I gained a proven 4hp (back to back on the same rolling road, same day) many years ago on my MK1 1800 8v by drilling the air box and feeding cold air to it from the edge of the front spoiler "BUT"... What works for one model may not work on another.

13. S1MMA Forum Member

If you have a cold air feed and if the box is sectioned off from the rest of the engine bay then it's not impossible to see a mild improvement as above. Although simply drilling holes in the side of an airbox will not give any improvement on the model (MK3 8v GTI) in question.

You can buy front bumper air intakes (think they go where the foglights go) for MK3s. This (cold air feed fed to the filter) coupled with some sort of boxed filter could see a few hp increase. BUT - how much will that cost (front bumper air scoop, induction kit with box section, tubing to cold air feed?) Work out if it's worth it for say a 4hp increase. If you can do it on the cheap with your own home made bits then knock yourself out.

14. Carbs4ever Forum Member

who cares anyway...

drill it

dont drill it

get a scrappy one to try it out..

15. wildwilliebaret Forum Member

mr hillclimber, i agree it worked on my mk1 1800 too,
    but on a mk3 which as stated uses the same box as a vr6 best cheap tunin/mod option is losing the weight,

cheapest mod for a mk3 are 1, go on a diet, 2 never take your mates out in it, 3 get a 6 stone girlfriend

lose the weight mate, then drill/dont drill your box
    if you can reduce or improve the air intake route, then you will have improved throttle response, whether its worth it on a mk3 is the question

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

how much do you think the mk3 weighs?

17. garfayliu Forum Member

mk3 golf weighs between 1050kg and 1200kg I think... 16V has a kerb weight of 1115Kg. All off the top of my head, parkers.co.uk will reveal all.

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

exactly my recollection too. hardly a lard monster, contrary to common beleif

19. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

tis when you view it in the context of the marks 1 and 2 and their relative power to weight ratios.
    Or something.

20. Bundles Forum Junkie

It's now been proven that it CAN make a difference, not that it does. I've got the bumper vents, got the cold air feed (recycled hoover hose) now get a grip and drop it.

You're one cock short of a man, you f*cking woman, otherwise you wouldn't need to go on and on with the childish insults just to make yourself feel big and think you're impressing people. You do things your way, I'll do them mine and we'll leave it at that.

IMO, start with the cheapest mods you can, then if it's still not enough to make you happy, go for head work, cams, throttle bodies etc but this COULD make your car less relaible if not done 100% right, if you want an unreliable car, buy a fiat, if you want a fast mk3 buy a 16v or a VR6. 8v's are a cheap thrills car imo, hence why i bought one.

On topic, compared to mk1's and Mk2's, Mk3's are heavey, iirc the Mk1's varied between 680kg and 810kg, according to haynes (it must be true, it's in colour, lol) the Mk2 Scirocco weighs between 740kg and 890kg. I got my old one weighed at 790kg on the weighbridge at knockhill years back and it was only 3bhp short of the 115bhp the mk3 8v makes. Giving the Scirocco a power to weight of 0.142bhp per kilo (128.8bhp per ton, 1ton = 907.18kg), and the mk3 8v a power to weight of only 0.110bhp per kilo (99.3bhp per ton).

Similair power, MASSIVE difference in the power to weight ratios though, plus not only would it go faster, it would also corner faster and brake better as well as get better fuel economy.

Dman, I'm gutted the 8v doesn't even make 100bhp/ton tbh, but mind you, with the spare wheel removed (sprey foam jobbie) and the bits cut out of my airbox...DOH! towbar!!!

Now, if i were to buy a mk1 and put a mk3 engine into it.....................;)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006