1st Engine Mods

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Marc9, Aug 20, 2006.

1. S1MMA Forum Member

Fair play, I'll give you that one ;) . They are unreliable compared to my MK3 8v (mine only failed once on me in 65,000 miles of my use, then only a burnt out coil) but then just hope you don't come across me on the road as I can show you what nearly 200bhp per tonne can do :o :lol: !

My 8v put out 57.5bhp per litre, my Fiat has 125bhp per litre. I know which I'm happier driving put it that way[:D] ! Not cheap to run it though..........

2. S1MMA Forum Member

I'd still waste that, I beat a MK1 with a tuned 2L 16v lump in it at a sprint this season. I was 1.5s quicker than it (comparing best times) on a small tight course, didnt even get out of 3rd gear to really open a can of whoop ass on it [:D] . Still, pretty quick comparitively, just not as quick as an unreliable Fiat. :lol:

3. Bundles Forum Junkie

Oh how i wish i still had me Grahame Goode stage 2 tuned cossie, lol. 360bhp at the back wheels is damn good fun, rev limiter in top gear fast but DAMN thirsty and not exactly a breeze to insure either (i was only 18 when i had it) It was only giving me 6mpg at knockhill!

BTW, for as unreliable as fiats are (or any italian car tbh) they are quick and damn good fun, I had a twaeked Punto turbo (in stomach acid yellow) which was faster than the chassis could handle and although not a fiat, but italian, a lancia Delta HF turbo (not an integrale sadley) which was probably the fastest point to point car I've driven on country roads after a few nice mods to it, killed that when a conrod parted company with the crank though :(

4. S1MMA Forum Member

with a history of cars like that the MK3 8v must be a bit of a step down surely? You not got plans to get into something a bit more exiting in future?

I'd love a Delta Integrale Evo 2 (although the HF turbo's are still damn good fun also) and always had a soft spot for RWD saph cossies, I was beaten by one not too long back in essex - must have been over 350bhp the way it took off (although I beat a mildly tuned one at the pod earlier this year, he was surprised to say the least!).

5. bowster12000 Forum Member

i dont care what anybody says about mk3, its defiantly the best looking model they ever made and it is definately a lot better built than them crap mk2 golfs which feel like your driving a old austin alegro. anyway down to modifying your mk3 8v, trust mate dont bother. its honestly not worth it. i spent quite a bit on my engine and its still not that great. just do what i am gonna do and drop turbo engine in there. put exhaust and filter on it if you want it to sound like its faster but otherwise do not bother, go for suspension mods instead, i got full koni coilovers front and rear strut braces and full polly bushes, it sticks like s h i t to a blanket. hope i was a help

6. S1MMA Forum Member

I'll tell you the best mod I ever did on my MK3 was, get some BBS Anniversary rims for it. On standard suspension, it made a huge difference to the handling (less sidewall, wider tyres - 215/40/16). Really enjoyed the handling after than, so it should be awesome with say the eibach/koni combo or similar on those rims.

I've still got the rims in my garage, don't really know what to do with them!

Looked pretty smart also:

[​IMG]

7. vwgolfgtimkii Forum Member

If you must get an induction kit mate, go for something like the Pipercross (lol tsc) Viper or BMC CDA, they are enclosed airboxes, made of carbon fibre with a fixed feed, these do work mate, but then again you gotta ask yourself the question, do i spend 300 quid on a posh induction kit, or get a decent set of shocks and springs, i know which i'd have.

On the other hand mate, if you just want a nice induction sound go ahead and drill your box / buy a normal induction kit, you wont notice the benifits / detriment anyways [:D]

8. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah right!

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

he doesnt care what anyone says... but he has a point [:D] i love my car for being ugly as sin, at least no one looks at it

10. wildwilliebaret Forum Member

me mk1 cab weighs 910, bhp about 115
    the mk1 tintops are much lighter tho

mk3s are definitely the best lookin car in the range apart from mk1 tintops, mk1 cabs, mk2s, and all the buses, oh and beetles and ive seen a couple of sweeeeeeet polos

best of luck finding your mk1 shell to drop your block into!

11. Bundles Forum Junkie

Tell me about it, but that's what having a kid at 21 does for you mate. After a long spell with things like Vectras, Cavaliers and a pug 406 I bought the mk3 as a stepping stone on the way back to quick cars after that relationship went sour, but i just don't have the interest in it now that i did back then, nor the money [8(]
    However, i do intend to get my hands on something pretty rapid, be it home made or bought, just as long as it doesn't have Subaru written on it, although i did test drive one a few months back [:$]

I dunno, I just fancy something that's quick but also fairly unique.

Theres a guy in aberdeen with a Delta Evo 2 Roland Holzer Edition (the very, very rare yellow one with the yellow centred five spokers) it's a stunning car and only something like 50 were built., but he's had the wheels painted all silver. THAT'S the Delta i would have :p

My Sierra was just the RWD version saph on an F plate with Koni coilovers,polly bushes, big brakes, the grahame goode stage 2 tune, chav style dump valve + other engine mods, but they were all done when i bought the car off the owner after it had been stolen/recovered (with no interior or wheels!) I loved the Sierra, but i couldn't afford to insure it for more than three months as i was only 18 at the time. I HATED the horrible square dashboard though, and the agicultural gearbox wasn't exactly a pleasure to use either. The RS in RS cosworth comes from "hanging the a.RS.e out" on them tbh, the don't exactly need much provocation so if you can't handle a drift, DEFINATELY don't buy a cosworth, lol. Personally i think owning a cossie should be on everyone list of things to do before you die :thumbup:

fitting them to my mk3 would be a GREAT thing to do with them tbh man! ;)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  12. Unknown Forum Junkie

have you ever driven an Allegro? I would seriously disupte this based on some limited experience; swerving around terrified, clinging onto cheap brown velour while the cam chains rattled & gearbox whined like hell had just opened up. Not a memory I cherish....

My Mk3 lump does fine in my Mk1, very happy. However its the Mk1 bits that are needing atttention but the more falls off the faster it is!

Also, check this

http://clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99854

13. S1MMA Forum Member

I killed myself to get those rims perfect, so much so that I'll probably never sell them. Wouldnt be worth it for all the effort and cash I put into them! Still the best mod I did for the car.

bling bling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

big one:

Click me

14. Bundles Forum Junkie

Tidy. Just seems a shame to have them sitting there doing nowt. :(

Maybe you should let someone else enjoy all your blood sweat and tears? no? lol.

15. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Bwwwahahahahah@ this topic.
    What is it they say about people who argue a lot are actually attracted to one another.;)

16. mexicorich Forum Member

Yes, 16V Mk3s are nice cars :-)

17. mexicorich Forum Member

Yes, 16V Mk3s are nice cars :-)
    But if you want to fly low, turbo Fiats are nice too!

18. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

oh no they're not :)

19. S1MMA Forum Member

you have to get the pleasantries out of the way before you can settle down to business chaps, always the way.

completely off topic still, but I probably wouldn't be happy with how much the rims are worth in the market compared to the time/cash I spent on them. Maybe I'll get a mk2 track car in the future and use them on that, who knows............. I doubt anyone would offer me an amount good enough to raise my eyebrows and consider getting rid of them.

20. Bundles Forum Junkie

50 quid, a mars bar and a half eaten jammie dodger.

Bet that raised your eyebrows, lol.