1st Engine Mods

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Marc9, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Dono Forum Member

mk3's only look good in 3 door, shiney as hell, green red black or blue, with a 16v or a vr6.

mk1+s look there best even on an unwashed day.

2. silent minority ninja New Member

has everyone had a kiss an a cuddle yet? come on ladies lets all be friends!

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

PMSL @ this.

4. esso_sa Forum Member

Here is what I did on my 8v and what I modified and what I gained.
    Exhaust : CAT removed (replaced with pipe), installed sport (straight) rear muffler
    Engine : K&N 57i (made aluminium box arround it to avoid sucking the hot air in), chipped the ECU

Car is now running 16,4 sec on 1/4mile (measured on official drag race with Race America equipment) and the 0-100 is 8,4 sec (measured with G-Tech)
    Also raced against mk3 16v (raced to 150 km/h)and 16v was less then a lenght in front of me at the end of the race.

I think that this is a respectable gain for the money I spent. I wish I had a 16V, I would make a VR6 killer out of it in no time :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  5. garfayliu Forum Member

I hope that's 100kph...

6. esso_sa Forum Member

Yes speed is measured in km/h

@S1MMA, nice car ! Looks like mine :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. monza 16v Forum Member

:lol:

What a total f*ckwit

:lol:

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

nice to see you boys getting on well now.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

A mate of mine has a Fiat 20v Turbo Coupe, he keeps replacing brake discs, manifolds, and more, but by christ it shifts, and handles too!

Eats my 911 after 40mph, when the rear-engine-rear-drive traction isn't an advantage any more.

A N Y W A Y.... back to the original question...

Drill the airbox if you want a bit more rasp... and take the cat out if you want more power... especially if you know an MOT man who'll do you a favour.

Other than that, we're running a group buy on heads...I'd think that's your best way of getting more power from an 8v, but don't expect more than about 10bhp. Costs a lot more if you need to pay someone to do the work though, rather than DIY

and if you do those mods, you need to get it on a rolling road to get the best out of it....maybe up the fuel pressure a smidge too.

10. S1MMA Forum Member

Esso_Sa, nice looking anniversary you've got there, looks very much nearly the same as mine used to (although mine wasn't an Anni, just had some choice anniversary parts bolted to it!).

mikehorsb, they can go through brakes depending on how you use them. A couple of people (read: mad drivers) have been known to warp front discs in less than 3000 miles, although my front 3G discs have done more than 20,000 miles now including 2 sprints this year, with no problems (just have to let them cool off without the front pads binding). The manifold issue happens to some cars, not all, not happened to mine in 66,000 miles so keeping those fingers crossed. There's a few things to look out for on them similar to the above, but then if you want a reliable car thats as fast then you'll have to spank 10-12k on a nice example of an E36 M3 Evo, or 20k+ on a 993 911, and yet they still have problems and need to be kept on top of (vanos etc...).

I actually came across a 997 911 Carerra S at the lights in london, and got to see for myself the off the line traction of a rear engined rear drive car...... even though I didn't get the worlds best start it left me for **** (and would have done even if I did the best start ever)! Unfortunately (for me anyway) the 997 S also has 350bhp so I couldnt catch him. Getting blasted by a car that hits 60 in the mid 4s is amusing!

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

see the red trim on the mk3 up there... would that look good on my purple mk3?

12. MK2JETTAVR6 New Member

PMSL!!! Quality thread folks! Please note that my new sig isnt meant to be offensive, i just thought it was a hillarious reply!