2.0 9a????

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Demondave, Jan 14, 2004.

1. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Hi as for using KE , i have spent a lot of time playing with this and i can provide you with the wire colours and schematics of what to do from the Passat loom to connect up to your Mk1 loom. or any Mk2 This will give you the OBD1 connectors for VAG com also which is nice to have. Its not that hard as once the loom is sperated from the the other crap its mostly self contained with only 2 plugs and a earth strap.

[​IMG]

To keep it simple the i placed a relay for the pump next to the pump inside the car. ( saves having to worry about interfacing with your fusebox , and the ECU provides the safe fuel cut off if you have a accident etc
    But this would have to be interfaced with your alarm if you have CAT1 or something that cuts the fuel off.
    ( tho i did not bother )

Not sure if a mk1 pump will do the 6.3 bar PSI ( req for KE) but it does 5 bar all day so may do which is all a 16v pump does

If you had a 91 Mk2 the loom would plug in with 2/3 plugs

Get the whole car if its easy , but you only really need the engine & loom, so its possbile for them to just unbolt the subframe and delvery you the that lot , the loom unplugs from 2 black plugs but need seperating from lights and stuff.

I am currently writing a FAQ for this so watch this space

2. GTI

GTI Forum Member

i would very, very, very intrested to read your faq! i'm running k at the mo, but i want to go ke in the future.

afaik i need the loom, ecu, knock sensors (how many?), metering head, differential pressure regulator and dizzy. is there anything else?

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Good info here, I'm thinking about '9a'ing' my '91 16v early this year. :)

4. Demondave Forum Member

Hey does this mean I started a usefull thread for once...lol

Duff thats good if you do write the faq.

Mate at the scrappy reakons they got a 2,0 16v passat there at the mo, so Im going to pop up sat and have a look.!! Im still nopt sure about the loom yet, but I may change my mind once Ive taken the 1.8 out.!!

Well Done lads!! Keep the info comming
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

5. Demondave Forum Member

How noticeable will the power difference

6. GTI

GTI Forum Member

<--------------- this big ----------------->

7. Demondave Forum Member

sOUNDS GOOD TO ME, So as long as Ive got a decent head and some lairy cams should be good... [:D]

8. GTI

GTI Forum Member

with the kr cams you should be able to get 165bhp with little trouble, but the biggest difference is with torque.get used to staying in 5th all the time!

9. Demondave Forum Member

he he instead of 3rd ;) Would u use Kr cams or get some pipper or somthing???

Dave

10. GTI

GTI Forum Member

i'm using the kr cams 'cus it's best to get the head flowed before moving on to performance cams.

my advice would be to stick with the kr's for now and think about head work+cams when you've got used to the new engine with new ooomph :)

with cams and a flowed head you'd be getting close to 200bhp ifaik!!

11. Demondave Forum Member

I will flow the head before I put the car on the road mate!! As I dont use it as daily driver.. Got compnay car ;)

Dave

12. GTI

GTI Forum Member

ooooohhh!!!

mine is a weekend car too. i got a pair of adidas as my daily driver, lol!

13. Demondave Forum Member

lol....Trip the brakers on sat then... [:D]

14. Demondave Forum Member

15. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Plus throttle bodies!

16. Demondave Forum Member

I had thought about them, mabey at a later date! ;)

17. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

It will be much quicker , my mk2 16v with this lump and schricks will out drag m8 mates 190bhp VR6 at 80mph in 5th , so in a mk1 its gonna be mega fun. Torque is the name of the game with this engine conversion. It made more of a difference that i was expecting

Dave
    Get the loom that goes to all the bits around the engine bay and metering head and then you have all the bits if you want to use them at a later date, i am sure the scrappy will not change you any extra for all these bits if you having the engine etc anyway. Make sure you get the OBD cable loom its under the gearstick gator and is 3 plugs on a loom you have to pull that from arounf the clocks i think

The main loom chop it near to the bulkhead if you don`t have a 90 spec fusebox as you can`t use the plugs anyway

Here is the lump i bought with all the bits on it straight from the scrapyard with chopped loom

Pic of engine and loom etc

Edited by: dUff

18. Demondave Forum Member

How much did u pay for that then Duff???

Also have you fitted the engine now? If so how long did it take you to do!

Dave

19. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I paid 350 for it , i fitted it in about 4 days but that was with cleaning up and fitted new head gasket and stuff (just to have a look at the valves and the bores really) and that was with the help of a couple of mates.

The wiring took somewhat longer however as there is no info on the net thats in english, but i could redo some elses wiring in a afternoon now no bother, VAG com is very usefull to check things are working and i used a 1551 to set the timing in basic settings mode.

20. Demondave Forum Member

Ok cool (Fancy a trip to the isle of wight) he he

Well should Know wether this engine is anygood by sat, if not im sure Ill find one by the end of the month.