2 or 4 winter/snow tyres - NOW FITTED 20/11/10

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by G-Man, Oct 25, 2010.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Looking forward to the winter months and as I'm in a situation whereby if I can't turn up to work, I go un-paid :(

Currently pricing up some winter tyres on a spare set of alloys for the Volvo, and just wondering if its vital to have all 4 wheels with winter tyres?

Only asking as I know you only use snow chains on the driving wheels, but I don't want to get winter tyres for the front only to find myself sliding around like Bambi on ice, thus making the efforts useless.

How effective are winter tyres in snow, ice and slush? Yes they're improved but guessing they still have their limits?

Thoughts and opinions on people who've had winter tyres and used them please :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

how's the volvo going anyway? I'm still on the hunt for a diesel...

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

Very good thanks, cracking car and driving sensible on my daily commute on dual-carriageways gets me a consistent 52mpg over the full tank.

No problems so far except parts are very expensive to replace unfortunately but they are very comfy and well spec'd. Not an exciting drive but smooth indeed

4. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Good question, I was thinking about this too.

Last year I struggled to get out of my street, as there is a slight hill. I did it eventually, with the help of a spade. Once out of the street the rest of the journey was ok, but slow as you'd expect.

So I was thinking just a pair of snow tyre's on the front, so I don't get stuck as easily.

5. alexisblades99 Forum Member

All four wheels, no question. Fit two and you'll simply be able to build up more speed before inevitably sliding off the road when you reach the first corner. [8(]

[YOUTUBE]GlYEMH10Z4s[/YOUTUBE]

Fair play for getting sorted with some proper winter tyres. The deep tread, multiple sipes and soft rubber compound will see you right with a lot more grip than a summer compound tyre, however without metal studs you should still take it easy if there's ice on the roads. I fitted my studded tyres at the weekend, but a lot of people here just use plain rubber snow tyres. I find I can drive at normal speed without sliding around, but slow down just in case if there's traffic around. If they do break loose it'll happen suddenly.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

looks for "M+S" on the side wall, this means they are classified as mud and snow... basically more groves and channels per set area, BUT no real garantee they are any better than a good alround tyre.. so do your home work well and avoid the chineese ping pang ting tong brands! stick to the biggies like Kumho (Korean but very good!!) mitchis, contis, bridge stones etc, you pay a couple of quid more but its worth it!!! (I have seen testing of cheap tyres... its not always pretty)

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

Cheers for the above guys :) It was the exact video above that made me think 'stuff the awkward snow chains' and invest in some good winter tyres to cover my backside when the weather turns.

Found some Kumho with the M+S on the sidewall for a fairly good price, but always would rather spend extra for good snow tyres otherwise the whole exercise isn't worth it.

Found some cheap alloys for 100 for 4 and tyres are around 80 a corner fitted, so basically over time it'll pay for itself easily given the amount of unpaid days of work it'll save me.

8. HongKongDonkey Forum Member

I got a set of winter tyres last year and the difference was incredible. I went for 4 tyres and when they do let go in the worst conditions you can quickly catch it again. Saved me on at least 4 occasions. I had the outside lane of the motorway to myself as I was the only car that could handle the ungritted road. Never missed a day all winter and had temps of -17. My commute has about 20 miles of this.

[​IMG]

9. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

I run snow tyres on all my cars, the difference is incredable, also saves salt wrecking you best alloy wheels and summer tyres,

Last year I could get up hills that so called 4x4's were strugling with

10. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

oh and you want to fit snow tyres to both front and rear axles

I run colway snow tyres and paid I think 35 each for 195/65/15
    just a shame you cant get them now as colway went bust

11. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I'm definitely going to try out winter tyres this year. I bought a set of 15" Golf MK4 steelies off eBay a few weeks back, to fit onto our Toledo.

Have any of you guys used an online mobile tyre fitting company such as http://www.etyres.co.uk?

12. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

2 tyres on the front = skando flick city. Loads of fun at not a great speed.

4 tyres = belt and braces traction in the slippy stuff.

Either way they make a massive difference in the snow..

13. mark25 Forum Junkie

As said: Snow tyres make a massive difference, 4 are essential, unless you're trying to re-create capri handling that is.

14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I have run Dunlop Wintersport 3D's on my Bora for the last 3 winters - they transform the car and are miles better than regular tyres when the going gets cold and greasy - recommended not just for snow, but for 7C and below running. Fitted there is massive reduction of TCS light flashing coming out of roundabouts and they are mega for wet braking. When we had loads of snow last winter, I never got stuck once and in one comedy moment drove past a Shogun on a hill who was sliding all over the place (presumably on crap 4x4 tyres).

One of the best things I have ever bought for a road car. Going to get a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin 3's for my A4 Quat for this winter - that should be hilarious with 4x4 and winter tyres

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

Even with Mud + Snow rated tyres, what are the limits of the tyres for driving over fresh snow then?

Will they still plow through as only other concern is whilst I'll be happier venturing out in the snow, I don't want to get to a point halfway through a snow covered road my car get's stuck in the middle of no where :lol:

16. G-Man Forum Junkie

Impressed how these snow tyres do

[YOUTUBE]NC5G_DAM9g4[/YOUTUBE]

17. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Sorry about that, there's just something incredibly horny I find about cars sliding about. Particularly at roundabouts. I have to open my dirty old raincoat and show the driver my "equipment".[:$][:$]

18. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

I found ground clearanceof the car the only limiting factor
    I can drive in 8-10" of snow with no problem

19. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I can do you a set of studded tyres cheap;)

20. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I think ill have to look into this aswell this winter, is the weather likely to be as bad as last year thou?