2 or 4 winter/snow tyres - NOW FITTED 20/11/10

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by G-Man, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

How do you actually buy winter tyres in the UK, if nearly every garage doesn't sell them or can't get them in stock!!

[​IMG]

The only garage locally that has got some in, only has the Avon Ice tourings at 105.00 each. I think I'd rather stick with having summer tyres, 4Motion and ESP!

2. CorradoVR6-Turbo

CorradoVR6-Turbo Forum Member

have you tried www.mytyres.co.uk ive got my winter set from them with no problems.

3. coullstar Forum Member

You wouldnt say that if you tried them. Thats the combination I used last winter. I could floor it away from junction and the car would just go with no slip at all.

Youve missed the boat im afriad though, every man and their dog has been buying them up over the last month or so. Only certain brand and sizes left now ane the prices have been going up as well.

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yep! Local tyre place has budgets, but they look really really bad and the rubber isn't even soft, which apparently winter tyres are meant to be.

I got mine as my tyre fitter actually warned me supplies in the UK were geting hard to come by, so he ordered some in for me in advance :) It'll definately be hard now as people 'panic' to try and get some, thus putting the prices up!

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

6. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

:thumbup:

Just ordered some Toyo SnowProx. My 4Motion should have uber grip!

7. prof Forum Addict

235/60/16 can't find any winter tyres

except for stupid priced stuff like

Our price only 152.10

feck that, i'll just let the air out of them if i get stuck

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

Thought i'd share my thoughts on my tyres as I've just had the mother of all tests this evening.

Due to a car crash, all traffic was diverted but the main routes did involve single lanes...uhhhhh ohhhh!!!!

I saw local tesco's delivery van turn around as couldn't get up, then ahead was 5 cars lined up single file and a slope covered in thick ice. The smart car was just spinning around, but the idiots in front just stood and watched so I got out to give it a shove and it struggled but got there.

The BMW's, Polo and Zafria got up very slowly and sketchy with wheel spin often.

I was actually nervous but fired up the volvo, left traction control on and set off. Apart from the slight spin from engaging the clutch I was able to accelerate up to 40mph easily with some help from the traction control. The car climb the hill like it was dry, almost in a weird way and wish I filmed to show simply how amazing such tyres are.

My face was [:D][:D] as I couldn't belive it. So I tried the old 'emergency' stop as no car was infront or behind. Feck me I stopped on the pure ice within a few meters and the ABS didn't have to work much either.

My verdict...winter tyres have been a life changing experience for me, even on 17" rims and 45 profile. They're only budget's too so god only knows how the more expensive sold out brands are like! :)

Something costing 500 for a good set will easily pay itself as an insurance policy to get you out of a sticky situation and avoid stacking your car!

9. coullstar Forum Member

Im so glad so many people are getting converted to these. Its the braking thats the most important part i think, so long as the guy behind isnt too close and on normal tyres.

10. Andy947 Forum Addict

Hopefully getting 4 x 225/40/18's fitted to the A4 at the weekend, should make it quite good :)

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

A car behind me was on my tail earlier [:x] Funnily enough even at 10mph coming to a stop he had to steer his car to the left to avoid me :lol:

I'm a total convert and have been telling everyone how amazing such tyres are :thumbup:

I was disappointed with mine in the wet (compared to what i've read on the internet) but the Ice grip is magically and beyond belief.

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

^^^ :thumbup: but unfortunately we are at the mercy of the majority who just don`t THINK and PLAN AHEAD [8(]

My wife has had several moments with them this past week, fortunately they have run into the hedges instead ...

Had a knock on the door last Sunday (we live 400m off a never treated single track road) - guy asking for help as his Peugot 206 was beached. Got togged up, laid under his car and dug it out for him ... I politely suggested that he use the main treated road only 200m back the way he came ....... totally oblivious to the conditions & risks :o [:x]

13. Ess Three Forum Member

Mine are that size, and proving to be truly epic in this weather.
    Snow? What snow?

14. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

I lived in Germany for 3 years so legally had to fit them from November - March.

Only problem was i Had R32 at time and they were around a 1000 quid for 18`s. So i bought a old Disco and kept the R32 war for winter i did get driven occasionaly in the snow but even with 4 wheel drive was usless far to much power.

Works Astra`s Had them fitted and made a massive difference to stopping as un known to me untill i went there the best grip on snow is snow so the tyres were designed to trap it in there weird tread.

Trying to source some for wifes car at moment Mytyres were no use as wanted steel rims as well.

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

Ha, that is the plan, its more the missus when she's driving it though.

Although to be fair, the A4 gas been pretty good in the snwo, especially seeing as the 4 michelins that are on it only have about 3mm of tread left :lol: 4wd helps a lot, drifts nicely too [:$]

16. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

We're in North Wales visiting family at the moment and it has been a brilliant opportunity to test the Avon Ice Touring tyres. They're bloody brilliant. I'm totally converted now and glad we got a set.

I needed to drive my dad to Aberystwyth for a scan at the hospital. That was an hour's journey on very treacherous icy roads that would have been a nightmare with ordinary tyres. I can just glide up hills that other cars get stuck on and I can stop very easily even when going down an icy hill.

200 for the four tyres (195 65 15) from Camskill was well spent.

17. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Well I got 4 verdstein (sp) wintrack tyres with about 5mm of tread on them for 80quid on ebay[:D] Got them fitted to some bbs RZ's and put them on the passat, wasnt overly impressed lastnight but it was more ice than snow, gona try them now as its about 6" on snow here now with plenty more coming.

18. Andy947 Forum Addict

4 Cooper weathermasters fitted to the A4 now.

Absolultey superb, with the quattro aswell its pretty unbeatable.

The MK2 GTI on the otherhand is utterly garbage :lol:

19. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

There amazing, the handbrake cables where frozen at first but it still could drag the back end around up hills, so much grip! Got them unfrozen by putting the space heater under the car. Back end still comes out when you get cocky but its all fun, actually can't wait to drive home now,lol.

20. altern8 Forum Junkie

Whats a good road tyre to use in the snow? I cant get hold of any M+s ones?