25k to spend, what to get?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Andy947, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Claypole Forum Junkie

An "exciting" VW that you could buy, that they sell/make would be a start. :lol:

2. Admin Guest

well have a look around for one that you do like?

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

4. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

you drove a laguna for like a year! ;)

5. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

6. altern8 Forum Junkie

that top audi is superb

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

6 months. 2 of which i still owned a Cordoba SX 2.0 16v and Gemma also owned a VW Polo. The Laguna was just to run into the ground for the daily commute.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  8. Ess Three Forum Member

Not so Andy...I sold mine for a handful of thousand more than your figure...and it was the very last of the 996s and doubtful there was a higher spec, lower mileage, better condition C4S in the UK.
    So 25k gets you a good one...
    30ish gets you something really special.

And from experience, think of a very big number that would hurt to pay annually to maintain and run a 911...and double it.

It was great while it lasted...but spending 4000 PA to have a car in tip-top condition, sitting the the garage (leaking fluids...) for the 1000 miles a year I was using it...was a bitter pill to swallow.

Been there and done it. Not sure I will be rushing back anytime soon.

I have the vRS and cash from the C4S burning a hole in my pocket...and very little I actually want to spend it on...Boo!
    Good luck...:thumbup:

9. Admin Guest

Erm, and you wouldn't see many many other better cars than a FWD Hatchback VW on a daily basis then no?
    Unless we are talking the Aberdeen Jonses' where its not good unless its on an 09 plate, even its an 09 Toyota, its good because its new.

My car park today:

[​IMG]

Hmmm, yes, the left one is defintely better looking/better drive/nicer car [:s][:s]

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

..... then it depends if you want to maintain your best dressed drive or not ?

If not then 5% of that sum would do you

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Plenty of 996s for under or around 15 grand these days, or a Boxster 3.2 S for about 8k

12. coullstar Forum Member

Dont think Andy is like that but my god youve hit the nail on the head for so many people in Aberdeen there.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  13. Ess Three Forum Member

You need to have a new Audi to be up there with the Jonses'...
    Even better...two.
    Preferably with a double garage...in which you put neither Audi.
    Suburban top dog status assured.

Back to Andy's dilema...there really is a poor choice of car that interests me at the moment either. Lots of choice...but little that I avtually want to put my money into and own.

14. Andy947 Forum Addict

haha, i've got the standard issue Aberdeen Audi on the Drive, but thats technically not mine :lol:

Didn't know you'd sold the Porsche Glen, but your comment about the running cost is the killer. The scirocco didn't cost me a penny other than fuel in the last year.

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

Correct me if i'm wrong but thats not a 996, and if i can buy that for 25k then tell me where to sign . . . .

16. Admin Guest

Yeah its a 997. Although 25K would get you a high mileage model.

I was just walking by and saw that, didnt see a Scirocco and 996 [:D]

17. Ess Three Forum Member

Yeah, it went back in september.
    It needed the small amount of 4000 spending before 1st December...and except the flog to GTI International (1000 miles) I was doing 600-800 miles of proper driving in it, and driving about in a Fabia vRS everyday which is a bit...cheap, and boring, shall we say.

So I made some enquiries, got some good offers...and sold it on.

I loved it...everyone who has an interest in them should do it at least once as it was in a different league to drive, involvement wise...
    But the reliability was bl**dy awful, the extended warranty a must...and the final straw was it breaking down on the way to GTI International this year.

I let anyone who wanted a go take it up the 1/4 mile this year (I'd not have done that before) and let some of the lads take it out for a blast on the backroads (3rd party, on their own insurance...playing with Richie's R32!) so I think deep down I knew it's days were numbered.

About a year ago I'd have got 23k for it!
    Now, it's gone up to early 30ks...but for a FSH, Porsche Warranty, 16000 miles, immaculate and with 17k worth of desirable options on...still a bargain at that!

But it's gone...and I'm looking for something 'nice' to use everyday.
    I have the memories...and the in car video footage!

Whoever bought it has got a bargain...and a seriously impressive (yet utterly impractical) car.

18. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Seeing it being given death up the strip at Inters, then blasting past me on the M74 are pretty good memories for me... :lol:

19. Ess Three Forum Member

[:$]
    Guilty as charged...

One of the lads drove it for the first time up the 1/4...then back to Lutterworth. Before, he couldn't see what the fuss was all about. Now he understands. And wants a GT3.

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

andy - what type of car do you want?? You don't go anywhere really so do you want a sports car, something practical for the weekends away? etc etc. Even at 20k you have so much choice its untrue.

Narrow it down and we'll suggest stuff (porsche do lots of different cars :lol:)