25k to spend, what to get?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Andy947, Oct 26, 2009.

1. thegave Forum Member

Are they badly made or what? Thought all German cars were meant to be built like rocks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Admin Guest

don't like sitting around, i think was teh gist from another thread on them.

3. Admin Guest

Reliability issues like that are few and far between on the Porsche forums (apart from the radiator/coolant issues which is with lots of use/stone chips).

It does seem to be a car that needs driving to be at its best.

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

golf gti with a body kit and badged a scirocco or

this

its a toughy, which way to go, which way to go :lol:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  5. Andy947 Forum Addict

The MK6 GTI is a very nice looking machine, in Tornado red!

Seriously tempting!

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You have already made your decision Andy. Stop playing with them! ;)

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

do they not make the toureg anymore? surely you can spend more and still have a vw? possibly 60k even? genuis :p

8. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

You don't seriously like the Caymen surely? wierd looking with a funny shaped rear, driven by affeminate men who spend too long doing their hair!

9. shortstack Forum Member

10. Ess Three Forum Member

RMS issues ar all too common - had 3 of them leak oil

Cam Chain Tensioner washers - had 4 of them leak oil

Radiators corrode on C4Ss due to the leaves and crud getting in the vents in the bumper (not the best idea) - had both of those corrode and leak

Sporte Exhaust box mechanism seized up - although that was probably my fault as I bypassed the electronics that made it go 'quiet'. [:$]

Air conditioning radiator changed as the leaking coolant had corroded that - caused by above.

Holed an Air Con radiator - stone - no fault there.

2 x Coil Packs failed and left me stranded - not much you can do there.

The seals may hav eleaked less if I'd used it more...fair enough.
    but thinks like corroding radiators? WTF? On a car of that cost?

Personally, I reckon I had the value of the extended warranty in 'free' work each year...and I wouldn't run one without the watertight warranty.

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

its a boxter (one of the best handling cars about) that isn't a convertible (dont look like a show off) and laps quicker than a bogo 911. I like it's looks, but would have one just for how they drive (only been a passenger but was enough to convince me how good it is)

You can get decent 3.4' for a smidgen over 26k :)

12. prof Forum Addict

if the rads are that bad then a finer mesh in the bumper ducts would probably sort it, or get them remade in bulletproof format by Pace or some race rad manufacturer

seals always leak if cars are stored.

Andy did you lose much in depreciation on the skyrocket?

13. Admin Guest

A lot of people do the mesh in front of the rads, 99% of cars in the 'ring car park have it, and a guy on the Porsche forums offers kits.

The RMS thing, according my mate who is an independant dealer is like M3 VANOS issues, i.e very rare but blown out of all proportion on the internet.
    He also says he doesnt know of anyone thats had it done more than once as long as its replaced by the upgraded part/next revision.

So I'd suggest your local dealers may to be blame there if its had the issue 3 times!!!

RIP-Mk3 - I agree with your Cayman sentiment, I think they are awesome.

14. Ess Three Forum Member

People are free to believe what they want...but a good mate of mine is a Porsche Tech, and I know how many RMS issues a small dealer has had...

The revised seal does however seem to cure it. Mine was fine after that...but had two before the revised 997 seal was fitted.

You could fit mesh to stop leaves entering your bumper...or you could remove the bumper to clear it out. But it's a 70k+ car...you shouldn't have to.

As for seals...sure, they dry out.
    But my 13 year olod 16v Mk3 did under 80 miles last year and doesn't leak any oil...and it gets used/started far less than the 911 did.
    So why can VW do it on a 18000 hatchback when Porsche can't on a 70,000+ sportscar?

I'm disapointed by the leaks/unreliability...but overall I loved the car. I would rather others who may be tempted go in with their eyes open though...

15. Admin Guest

The Tech I know said the same as you Glen, that no issues after the 997 seal is stuck in there.
    Mind, should that have to be done on a 70K car? No.

Same with the bumper/mesh. It should be done as a recall after the design error comes to light.

16. Andy947 Forum Addict

Lost about 3.5k on the inc the mods (map, springs and airbox) Can't really complain at that i don't think.

Plus with a private Sale and cash in my pocket i feel i'm now in a better position if i go for a Scirocco R or something as i've no trade in.

17. coullstar Forum Member

18. AndyRhino

AndyRhino Forum Junkie

600bhp and 4wd or 400bhp and rwd for my rado. if i got some spare cash id have a cossie or a mk1 golf too. maybe a porsche 944. or if it was just one car, probably an old school 911 turbo 1989. yum

19. thegave Forum Member

Must... Have... That Mk1

20. Admin Guest

pretty sure its been up for sale before,

a v6 turbo in a mk1 wouldn't be something i'd be after.

plus i'm put off by the its a 1.3 on the log book comment.