25k to spend, what to get?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Andy947, Oct 26, 2009.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

If I were you i'd buy a car and stop showing off that you've got 25,000.

2. elucidate Forum Junkie

I don't think he is?

I see no picture with him bathing, Scrooge McDuck style in 25000 pound coins.

25K has to be bog standard, middle of the road new car money surely? It gives loads of secondhand options but not all that when looking at new.

You should try being on the American forums, its not uncommon for them to be spending 100K on a car.

3. prof Forum Addict

on lateral g they often spend 2-300k building a 68 camaro for SEMA. mind they also seem to have 4 jobs and live in a house that cost 47p, so it's relative

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

how come the basic price is higher from that post that the piston heads press release?

How much is a new S3? which is basically the same engine/drive train isn't it? or is quattro different to vw's 4 wheel drive system?

Either way - you would have to be mental to buy a golf at that price point imo

5. Andy947 Forum Addict

feck, 28k for the Rocco with the spec i want, now that's a dilema. . . .

6. develeski Forum Member

25k for a vw dub when you have options of 300+ bhp bmws, mercedes, porsches etc...makes it sound a little crazy but as a dubber i can understand why you want to stay vw. I have a m3 e46 as well as the vr turbo. the m3 drive is out of this world, aggressive, powerful, handles great, sat nav, polished 19" rims, electric everything...roof back in summer...great. paid 18k, as a idea on a 52plate last year.

If your going for a vdub, for looks, power, price and to have a account that still looks nice when you finished....mk4 R32 with a turbo setup gets me. 4wd, big brakes standard but can take cayenne 6 pots no prob, options of single or twin turbo. 400-500bhp so easily achieved, a golf that will outrun literally everything. Now thats a R...lol

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

A Turbo'd MK4 R32!!. . . . . and people claim that new cars depreciate, that'd lose every penny you put into it and more!

I'm wanting something to drive daily, not something that would be a complete money pit. . . Big modifed car is a no no. The MK2 will be the modified Toy.

8. Admin Guest

shame the new scirocco isn't 4wd

The golf is still top dog then.

9. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

mk5 gti edition 30

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

yeah with a remap if you must get a new (ish) vw

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

?????? Totally don't understand that principle. VW's 4WD system, for driving dynamics is pretty bland is it it? having driven a mk5 gti/r32 I much prefered the handling of the GTI. The 4WD system makes it seem heavy and clumsy. Unless this new system is more like the Audi RS4 etc with a more rear bias?

12. elucidate Forum Junkie

Does the RS4 have a rear biased haldex? As its the most understeery car ever.

13. Admin Guest

didn't find that in the few times i've been out in a R32. nicely sure footed and well delivered.

260bhp through the front wheels will be fun....

14. thegave Forum Member

According to the comments after the PistonHeads article, the split on the R is 90:10

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

apparantly audi moved it to a rear biased (or more rear biased than before) to try and compete with the M3. EVO magazine said it wasn't amazing but much better apparantly.

@ jon - 260 will be fine, espcially if you change to wang kang tyres :lol:

16. Admin Guest

stretched of course;) :lol:

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

isn't it FWD until it starts to lose grip, then sends power to the rears? quite a complex gearbox/diff plus extra weigh just to send 10% to the back? must be more than that

18. Andy947 Forum Addict

260bhp is no problem in a Modern FWD VW, i've just sold one. . . . ;)

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

IIRC, it`s 90/10 `normally`, but will switch power to rears when needed upto around 60/40.

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ I see, kind of like a C4S but the other way round and not as much fun :lol: