26/08/17 *post 262* Toyotec's 'JENVEE'. The 6 speed era

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Toyotec, Dec 1, 2011.

1. m1keh Forum Member

Great thread Toyotec, goes to show how good planning can make an engine swap a simple weekend task.

Does the g-tech output plotted data in csv format?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Tame DIY enthusiast and Pastor of all kinds of valvage :p

3. Toyotec

Yes the versions I have do. So far my vehicle data base is ~ 350 tests and increasing.

4. m1keh Forum Member

Hmm think I might add a g-tech to my shopping list.....

5. Toyotec

Good little tool that, been using them since 1997. The latest creation "RR Fanatic" has GPS so great for track telemetry.

The curves generated from this device are great as a "'back to back' acceleration correlation and a plot profile precheck before hitting the rolls.

6. m1keh Forum Member

Yeah, I use seat rail accelerometers linked into ecu datalogging with inca etc at work, but when you are looking at the close end of 2k for the sensor and other bits to log the data with it is a little bit out of the range for DIY tuning. Sorry for going off topic....

7. Toyotec

Yes I have used similar or the same tools when working with driveablity lead calibrators in my 'real' life off here.
    For what is being studied, in this case and for most DIY work, the Gtech device does a very good job, if used properly when compared to OEM tools.

One day you should come along to a meet and I can take you out in the car to correlate the Gs I have demonstrated in the plot, with a real life reference.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  8. m1keh Forum Member

I'll make sure I get along to a meet one day soon.

9. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

What a beast this Mk2 is Edd !!!

Having been out in it today, all i can say is wow!

The way that engine revs and pulls away all the way up the rev range is so impressive :thumbup:

Great work Edd :)

10. Admin Guest

Would going out in it make you think twice about changing to 1.8T if you had been out in it before your engine swop? How does it compare to yours?

11. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Tbh, i dont regret doing the 1.8T conversion.

I do like the way the ABF can rev right round to over 7000rpm, where as my 1.8T with ko3s seem to drop off very quickly.

As Edd said today, my AGU could do with some mapping to get some more grunt out of it.

We are both using the same gearbox's - 020's from an 8v, so gearing is the same. But the abf revs like crazy, so the power is there constantly.

Edd sure knows how to make a quick ABF! :thumbup:

12. Toyotec

Glad you experienced the whole drive feel thing and released there much more than just peak numbers...:thumbup:
    More to come when the calibration is finished.
    Bring your car to the dyno day and we can get a baseline, which can be used to enhance the performance later on.

13. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Good read this thread, lots of detail.

I have to say I'm rather envious that you make it look so quick and easy! My ABF conversion still refuses to run right haha. Look forward to more updates.

14. Toyotec

Engine bay tidy 27-08-12

Since the last update more miles have been put on JORAN.
    It has been in attendance at the recent London meet and as a demo car, from time to time to show what mapped "fury" feels like lol

It was noticed on some demo drives, the Audi 80 16v spark plug leads were dropping off of the coil pack. I also was missing the crankcase ventilation valve.
    So when Neal_H advertised that he was breaking a MK3 16v, I was up by him in a jiffy!

The excess components from Ben S' manifold experiment were used the represent an OE plenum and standard runner manifold.
    This was achieved by using a standard plenum joined to standard runner lengths with tubes.
    [​IMG]

To make any baseline even more transparent, it was decided to pick up an untampered upper half manifold in my visit to Neal H as well.

Ben S old trusty manifold was removed as were the Audi 80 16v plug leads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers mate...:thumbup:

The components from Neal H were cleaned up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were then retrofitted to the JORAN.
    The engine was fired up and all was well.

The engine bay looks more presentable too.
    [​IMG]

:thumbup:

There is one small problem. Plug lead 1 could not follow the predefined route for the plug leads, unless the coil pack was moved closer. Will sort out in due time.

Thanks for looking...for now.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  15. Toyotec

Cheers.
    It is easy if you know how and you plan your way. Your conversion just needs someone to be there to quickly get rid of the 'hiccups' and you will be fine.

16. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I have been following this with interest. Am eagerly awaiting further updates :thumbup:

Just wondered, how does the G-Tech get the RPM value for the X axis ?

17. Toyotec

I am validating and building more components for updates, which will follow soon ;)

G-Tech "N" is captured via alternator noise. This concept was patented by Tesla.
    The noise from the alternator must then be sync'd with a trusted RPM source at two points at least 2500rpm apart.
    The X axis as no effect on the generated Gs but like with many chassis dynos, must be sync'd to engine speed accurately, to display in power plots and presentations, like the one above, correctly.
    The data from this tool is also used in checking real dyno data, for plot transparency, from the same vehicle.

18. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

That makes sense.

I can capture G on a Perfomance Box GPS @ 10Hz, but can`t sync that to engine RPM easily. I always wondered how the G-Tech did it. Now I know.

19. Toyotec

Testla also launched a new version and 10hz GPS is std!

20. Toyotec

The baseline is set, let the experiement begin! 170PS (168bhp)@5900rpm

Sunday, I had some additional work to catch up with at the Garage Streamline guys.

As I was there, it was decided to strap JORAN on the dyno with the ABF lump and see what was going on.

[​IMG]

After a bit of tweaking with the WOT performance, this resulted.

[​IMG]

A familiar profile of a MS tuned ABF engine ;)

For those of you who came out on demo runs with me in this car, you now know why the car felt the way it does :thumbup:
    As a comparison, chipped cars tend to achieve 145-150lbft max@4600 then drop to 135lbft at the top end, before tailing off.

There is a lot more work to do on this engine to improve this baseline at the top end and I will report out once complete.

After JORAN I had a drag racing 1.3 litre to complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [:D]

Boost control and a 1.5bar (gauge) MAP sensor stoped play. More to come from this.
    Revs like a banshee!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012