'89 Golf Mk2 TDi Build Thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DN5, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It has hurt me too.
    You can upload direct I believe as you are paid.

2. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Oh right, how do I do that then? Wasn't aware of this!

3. Mk2NI New Member

Hiya lads, very first post on the forum so take it easy on me ???? love the mk2s love a good turf burner and it's always a combo I wanted to put together, any chance anyone could possibly put together a parts list and a loom conversion guide? Would be very much appreciated, there's not too many mk2s round Northern Ireland anymore and I've never seen a TDI swapped one yet so getting local help isn't really viable???? by the way rubjonny, the past few years I've seen you in pretty much every MK2 related post on any forum I've been on you must be a VW wizard with all the knowledge you have on these things it's almost scary one can can know so much, anyways enough rambling, looks to be a good build so far and health to enjoy when she's done!

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

probably best to start your own thread, but best bet is buy a running MK3 TDI donor then you'll have almost everything just need a front bracket from a g60/corrado/passat to go on the mk2 crossmember and find a way to mount the pedal actuator and either go hydro clutch or buy the seat conversion kit. or passat donor would be all there mounts wise plus pedal box almost a straight fit, just the fuel tank is no use. can use a mk2 carb tank and sender just make sure most of the fuel is drained out

5. Mk2NI New Member

Cheers rubjonny, corrados and especially g60s are like hen's teeth over here and nearly impossible to find, I'm assuming the Passat is just any of the Passat's that ran the same years a MK3 TDI golf? As I said local knowledge is thin round here as there aren't that many golfs left relatively but I'll take your advice start a new thread for it, thanks again

6. rubjonny

yeah so b3/4 passat TDI from the 90s will have basically the same lump as the MK3 TDI but its more mk2 based in the engine bay which helps on the mount side of things. The later oens will probably have the same crossmember as the corrado vr6 has so that would be handy, also the radiators these cars use are usually a straight fit in the mk2 as well so theres another brucie bonus. just a case of can you find one, and if you do can you bear to break it up as they're nice family barges and getting hard to find these days

7. DN5

Today I split the brake booster and master cylinder for painting.
    Inside the brake booster was a mix of what looks like dust and dirt mixed with brake fluid. Would this be just a leaking mc or something else?

8. rubjonny

Most likely, while its apart may as well put a new MC on there anyway as they aren't expensive

9. DN5

My thinking exactly RJ. The 22mm should be sufficient for 280mm brakes?
    I'll try cleaning the gunk out best I can and give it a paint :)

10. rubjonny

aye 22mm is what you need for the 280s :) try to get ATE make or genuine, if you're crafty on ebay can be found cheapy cheap :thumbup:

11. DN5

I have a genuine 22mm that's from the 1.9 tdi
    It's basically new so will slot that in there after paint :)
    Cheers

12. DN5

Hello!
    So today I've been running wiring in through the bulk head and towards the fuse box. For reasons I can't remember, I've left myself with 2 lots of yellow A1 & A2 plugs.

The mk2 light loom are complete apart from 1 wire (fat red fan control module I believe)
    Screenshot_20171003-172822.jpg

Screenshot_20171003-172825.jpg

As seen above I've just left a length for splicing I'm guessing.

The mk3 headlight plugs are like so...
    Screenshot_20171003-172831.jpg

Why I did this I can't quite remember!
    I am using the mk3 fan control module so can I just cut and splice the mk3 one onto the mk2 plugs?

I seem to have left some indicator stuff in there for some reason. Any ideas what I can do with these?

Memory is not the best note book!
    Thanks.

13. rubjonny

just depin the mk3 red wire and swap it to the mk2 plug :)

you dont need the mk3 indicator wires either, unless you plan to use mk3 clocks? if so follow whats left to the 2 or 3 pin plug and tap it into the mk2 harness somewhere, bin the rest. the thin yellow/blue is looks to be for the headlight range control plug, which you dont need

14. DN5

Ok thanks. I'll swap the red over to mk2 plugs but the plan is to use mk3 clocks for a time when I get it up and running.
    So...could I swap pins over on the plugs to use them and swap back to mk2 pins later on?

15. rubjonny

thing is the mk3 indicator wires go off to the round plug in the bay, on the mk2 they go straight to the indicators. for the mk3 clcoks wires its just the 2/3 pin plug with black/white and black/green wires you need to tap into the indicators somewhere, you dont even have to go to the headlight loom you could pull the stalk loom out and tap it there instead. then either swap another standard loom in later, or just leave the plug unused!

It may be handy for other things later, for example on my mk2 I'm using this plug for my mk4 central locking module so it can flash the indicators :thumbup:

16. DN5

Ok. I think I understand that! I'll get my wiring laid out in the cabin for the stalks and clocks etc and have a look see if I can figure it out.

17. DN5

I think I'm just confused as to where this 2/3 pin plug is?

18. rubjonny

factory theres a plug tapped into the indicator wires on the mk3 A plugs, 2 pin if early, 3 pin if late. the 3rd wire is the ecu mpg signal wire, its either separate on its own plug early, or in with the indicator plug late (early looms have engine and lighting looms separate, late its all 1 big lump)

clock side the mating plug(s) for it can be found hanging out the back of the clock plug :)

19. DN5

Ok :) get it now! Mine was late mk3 so all 1 lump. I'll grab the clock and stalk loom out and have a look see if I can sort it. I'll post a photo for confirmation. Thanks Jonny

20. DN5

So a quick update now I've managed to post some photos!

Screenshot_20171004-165428.jpg

Screenshot_20171004-165431.jpg

Screenshot_20171004-165439.jpg

Screenshot_20171004-165435.jpg

Screenshot_20171004-165445.jpg

Screenshot_20171004-165449.jpg

Screenshot_20171004-165452.jpg

Screenshot_20171004-165456.jpg Screenshot_20171004-165442.jpg