'89 Golf Mk2 TDi Build Thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DN5, Apr 11, 2016.

1. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Unable to load photos at the moment but while placing together the front crossmember and rad support I came across a problem.
    Crossmember is Passat b4 and rad support is mk2.
    Before I had the Passat crossmember powder coated I cut off the little lugs that hold the pas pipe in place from the mk3 piece and welded them onto the passat piece. Now when trying to fit the rad support on top, it just won't go as the pas pipe is in the way. Anyone know of a way around this? Or is it going to be custom pipe from pas reservoir to pas pump? :(
    should have checked first I guess....

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

on the OEM MK2 golf PAS setup its just a long rubber hose, so no big deal. but what pas line do you have? if mk3 you could try the passat/toledo version if you can find one

3. DN5

I see. It's so hard to remember what all 7 of the original mk2s I've had looked like when I have something else in front of me! I think though that I may just be ok now after i scrapped the Passat rad support (Just cut the tube bits off the end that the bolts mount through) and use the mk2 piece as it sits above the crossmember and it's angled slightly.

Means I'm back to using mk2 rad and fans which is what I want :)

Would you know if the mk3 radiator 3 pin switch will fit in the mk2 radiator?

Cheers.

4. rubjonny

yep sure will, I've a mk4 one to go into my new rad when version 2 of my car loom gets done :lol:

5. DN5

Always an upgrade to be done eh!
    Next puzzle - does anyone have a photo of how the fuel tank straps fit? I'm more after what attachments hold the straps in place as I think I'm missing some.

I have 1 slightly curved piece with 2 lugs on one side and a hole for the bolt. Looks to fit under spare wheel well or just next to it. What holds the straps up near the beam? Just bolts?

6. rubjonny

theres like a double clamp, which sounds liek the piece you have. the rest bolt straight to the floorpan. need 5 M8x30 bolts :)

top tip when refitting, get the double clamp fitted loosely with a few threads before you start. then you can lift the tank and hook the middle clamp into it, which then leaves you 2 hands free to hold the tank and get the other side bolted up. put the other 2 straps in, dont fully tighten any of the bolts yet. get up top, wiggle the tank till it sits as nice as you can get it in the filler flap hole, then nip all the bolts up :thumbup:

7. DN5

Actually just crawled back under and seems I've got everything :)
    5 x bolts, 1x bracket and 3 x straps

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  8. DN5

That is a good tip! I'm at it alone so great advice. Only help I've had and that I'm going to get was putting the glass in. No idea why I thought I could do that alone lol

9. rubjonny

it is doable by yourself, but it means a lot of getting in and out of the car :lol:

10. DN5

It was like that trying to feed the wiring down the chassis legs and through the bulk head lol

Unsure why all of a sudden I can't post photos but hoping to get it sorted asap.

On the passenger side light loom I have 2 unknown wires hanging there - brown and grey/black
    They aren't the front bumper side repeaters as I have those sorted. Maybe something to do with side repeaters though?

And on drivers side light loom - brown and red/white.
    Would like to tie the loose ends up now while there is the space.

Thought maybe pass side could be ambient temp sensor?

11. rubjonny

grey/black one is the sidelight plug, red./white one is outside air temp sensor for mfa yep :)

12. DN5

You know what I didn't even think about side light! Not sure why though lol
    I've a feeling I'll have to run some wiring for those on one side at least. :(

Cheers John.

13. rubjonny

the other side is brown and grey/red for the sidelight if it helps :)

14. DN5

I'm missing the pass side ambient temp wires then by the sounds of things. Something I can run back to the dash though at this stage so not a problem.

Just done a water test now all the glass is in. Went pretty well. Only leaks were from the front doors and seemed to be running down past the exterior window scraper and into the door itself. Pooling at the bottom. I take it nothing should pass that exterior scraper?

:( :(

15. rubjonny

yeah on the mk3 the ambient sensor is on the driver side, with a different plug on it. no big deal put the right plug on or use a golf g60 type sensor (mk3 sensor is incorrect rating) and fix it on the driver side somewhere. alternatively if you have an old mk2 gti loom can depin the sensor wires and swap them to the mk3 loom if you prefer, or extend the mk3 wires to passenger side. whatever works best for ya :thumbup:

the outer scraper was never designed to be watertight, hence the vapour barriers behind the door card. it shouldnt pool in the bottom though there are drain holes to let the water out

16. DN5

That's the two down drivers side leg
    Screenshot_20171019-195004.jpg

And these down the passenger leg
    Screenshot_20171019-195015.jpg Screenshot_20171019-195022.jpg

I think the wires down pass leg with red joints at the end are indicator.
    The others I'm hoping are side light.

17. DN5

On the water front i just need to source some polythene then and cut some shapes to fit the doors:)

18. rubjonny

yep outside temp. so as above extend and put the plug on for driver side, or put it on the passenger side, or pull the wires out a mk2 loom and swap.

as you say black/white and brown is front indicator, grey/black and brown sidelight :)

19. DN5

Nice one, cheers John.
    I'm still working on a long list of questions while I'm steadily building it back up.
    Another one [:D] I'm using AHU Harness and ecu. I have mk2 GTI clocks hooked upto speedo cable and a converter for the tacho and mk2 cruise stalk. Can I now just activate cruise via VCDS? Oh and i will have mk4 brake switch, clutch switch already there from mk3.

Hope so :)

20. rubjonny

Yep you should be good to go now, just make sure the VSS feed from W/1 is hooked up to the ecu :)