8v vrs 16v

Discussion in 'Engines' started by ripskin, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ripskin Forum Member

Now first off I dont want to create any arguments about which is better blah blah blah.
    Ive had 3 8v gti's all digi's and love em. But am looking for a bit more power and acceleration and fun so ive been toying with the idea of buying a 16v mk2, or a 944 :p but insurance is too pricey on the 944 lol, anywho my question is;

do the 16v high specs transfer to real driving situations ie is the 16v that much quicker?!
    I have never driven a 16v mk2[:^(] so dont know.

I recently drove my friends fiesta rs1800 16v (yuk!) but the thing i did like about it was the 16v power band and drivability, feels like more of an animal. whereas my 8v is great but feels like im fighting to stay in the power range all the time and constantly changing gear.

Does anyone have a mk2 16v I can have a test drive??;) .....but seriously if your up for it i live in south east (guildfordish area)

I this is in the wrong post section please accept my apologies. Thanks fellas!

2. sinisterdexter Forum Member

If that's what you are looking for then go for a 16v. They deliver power, acceleration and fun in droves. In absolute terms the 16v isn't much faster than an 8v but it's more entertaining. A 16v delivers its power right up to the rev limiter in a constant surge whereas the standard 8v has given its best by 5.5/6krpm.

IMHO the 8v is a better daily driver as it's a more relaxed driving style and it's more economical, but if you want "something more" I doubt you will be disappointed with a valver.

I love mine ;)

3. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

you have to REV a valver especially 1.8 2.0 16v is better (much better) youe have to rag a 16v and it loves it:lol:

the 8v is more nippy but runs out of steam BUT has more tourque

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

*** popcorn, crunching... ***:lol:

5. Phil. Forum Junkie

My 8v has more torque than some valvers! ;) (You know who you are...)

6. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Waaaaaaahahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahaa!
    Hate this f okin argument!

But I still love kicking 8v ass!

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

8v good for the Missus to drop off children to school and go to work. 16v good for 6.5sec 60mph sprints, 143 mph top speed (where the law permits), cruising around town like a lamb, and allround blast to drive.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  8. fthaimike Forum Addict

That's a strange thing to say when they only rev to about 6?

9. Toyotec

[:s]

10. sinisterdexter Forum Member

PMSL I forgot about that. Just gotten so used to that extra 1000rpm ;)

What I was actually saying was by 5.5krpm a standard 8v has passed its peak torque (regardless of whether it has more torque than a valver) whereas a 16v will keep on revving until it hits the limiter. I rarely hit the limiter on my 8v, hit it all to often in the valver ;)

Dex :)

11. sinisterdexter Forum Member

Sorry mate, talking about standard motors. And absolute terms. In relative terms I'd say my valver felt much quicker, but it in the real world it isn't that much faster. It might feel faster because of the different engine output characteristics but the performance difference isn't as big as some people believe.

Valvers are great for people who have gotten bored of just 8 valves, but don't have time/inclination/facilities/money to mod or swap engines. Still miss my 8v for daily drives but for sheer entertainment I haven't looked back.

Dex :)

12. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

ok, lets just put this argument in a nutshell

16v's are better all round :)

:lol:

13. sinisterdexter Forum Member

You're right of course, I was just being charitable towards those of us with fewer valves ;)

Dex :lol:

14. ripskin Forum Member

Awesome! thats just the kind of mixed answer i was looking for :) lol @ "popcorn" comment.
    So I think i may keep one digi for the daily grind and maybe purchase a road rat :lol:
    Anyone got one for sale?!?!!?!? i dont mind kr or 2.0 abf, I hate looking at the potential pups on ebay and pistonheads.

Alsi isnt the k-jet system older than the digi?? surley K-jet is mechanical fuel injection rather than digi being electronic?? or am i talking bo**ocks??

15. Toyotec

A STD 8v valve hits torque peak @3-3.5K rpm and runs out of VEs at 5-5.5K
    A 16v has 2 peaks one small one at 3.5K then a larger one at 4-5k then rus out of VEs at mean 6300rpm.
    The sharp rise to peak torque of an 8v is what gives it its nippiness. Added to the fact that your average driver thinks "its wrong to rev you motor past 4000rpm" the 8v is great for such inclined drivers
    As the owner of both in various states of tune including std reference cars I do not need to guess regarding torque developement. and characteristics of both engines

16. Toyotec

You are right.
    K jet 8v cars were also a bit faster than digifant 2 cars

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

just do a search on here for 8v vs 16v for a quick end to the thread :lol:

18. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

i own both and done mods to both too, the 8v and 16v are at its best in the 2litre version, 2lt 8v loads of torque and some nice play too, but the 2lt 16v alot more torque and alot more play (completly changes the deliverance of power over the 1.8 16v ie better). if was changing a car from a standard 1.3 or mk1 its either forced air or 2litre 16v!
    people that have both cars or even had will agree, hope that helps you make a final decision

19. ripskin Forum Member

Thanks for info toyotec i think i would benifit from a valver. I didnt know k jet 8v's were quicker, i thought they used the same pb etc type head, or does it just breath better?

I had planned to convert my old-old 8v 3 door to 2.0 16v abf power but have since read conflicting views about lack of power from digi and about injection system mismatches going from normal 8v digi to abf digi and kinda got scared off. You seem sot be the guy to know as ive read your k jet conversion guide, any thoughts of going down the digifant route?? ta.

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Um 2lt 16v's do not normaly have loads more torque than a 2lt 8v.......but they do have more bhp