"A" vr6 Yank MK2

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by afbiker02, Apr 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Well I thought I would bring this thread back to life. I’ve had about a year driving the car around and there are a few issues I need to sort out. I finally ordered a new exhaust system from trackslag, to include the down pipe. While admiring the system in my hall wall I noticed that there is a place for a lamda sensor on the down pipe before both flexies. My current exhaust only has 1 lamda sensor and it’s where the 2 down pipe go into one. This might be why it smells of petrol all the time.
    exhaust 1.jpg exhaust 2.jpg exhaust 3.jpg
    I’m also having a few electrical issues that I need to sort out but I think it’s gonna require me pulling the loom out and going through it inside where I can unwrap it a see just what my friend did. Plus it’ll give me access to the front of the engine to sort my oil leaks. I’ll also try to keep this thread updated and ask my questions on here

Toyotec likes this.
  2. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

So I finally took the time to install my new trackslag exhaust but there was a hurdle I needed to get over plus I wanted to try and sort out a few electrical issues while I was at it. So I started by taking the dash apart.
    IMG_3819.jpeg IMG_3879.jpeg
    while I was there I pull the bonnet release handle off the car so out came the rivnuts and problem solved
    IMG_3694.jpeg IMG_3693.jpeg
    next I took the front end apart, rad off and rad support supported with a jack stand since I knew it was gonna take a few hours at least. IMG_2881.jpeg
    IMG_3859.jpeg
    I took the inlet off and started labeling wires as I disconnected them. Then out came the old exhaust and the new exhaust was installed but the down pipe needed to be trimmed and I also needed to have a single lambda sensor bung welded to the down pipe. The reason for this is my engine is from a US spec car and they only run a single pre-cat and a single post-cat lambda sensor, where the UK cars run 2 for each postion. I only found this out when I got my new down pipe and went to install it. So after the down pipe was modified to suit my car, I got it installed with two plugs for the UK sensors and a new lambda sensor installed. IMG_3868.jpeg
    Then while trying to change the oil pressure switch, I pulled out half the threads in the housing so a new second hand one was ordered and the car was left to sit like this for almost a week. IMG_2882.jpeg IMG_3861.jpeg
    I did take the time to fit the lower half of the mk5 rear bench but the upper half will have to wait until I can find someone to fabricate the brackets needed to mount it
    IMG_3697.jpeg
    And I just wanted to show off my battery box
    IMG_3061.jpeg
    While waiting for the oil filter housing I got the intake put back on and the dash back in and thought I should start it to make sure I plugged everything back in correctly. Turn the key, starter turns over but that’s it. I wasn’t getting power to the ecu. After finding the wire that powered the ecu and trying the live post on the back of the fuse box, I was still getting nothing. I then jumped the wire directly from the battery and with the help of my wife, the mk2 fired right up and then died when power was removed. So out can the dash again so I could search through all the wiring and try to find what I did wrong. After a few days of head scratching and asking questions on Facebook I found my issue. The plug to Pin “R” had a stray wire that was for the ecu power, I had found this wire realist and couldn’t figure out what it was for so I taped it up. After reconnecting those wires and jumping the battery, it fired right up…yay. The next day the oil filter housing was installed and I started putting it all back together. IMG_3954.jpeg My car has been without a steering wheel cowl since I’ve owned it but I was able to get one pretty cheap on eBay so it was time to install that too.
    IMG_3187.jpeg IMG_3188.jpeg IMG_3190.jpeg
    Then it was time to bleed the coolant and take it for a test drive. It’s only been 2 weeks but I missed driving this car
    IMG_3965.jpeg

Toyotec likes this.