ABF 8 injector set-up

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Ess Three, May 31, 2010.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

unless the front panel and the airbox were the same thing....wonder how much 'flexibility' in the system would be required to allow for engine rock......

2. prof Forum Addict

rob, i've sold all my ABF stuff now, but I did consider the bellows mouldings that HGVs use on their airbox chimneys to allow some airbox articulation with engine rock, must be some useful bits/mouldings in truck breakers that could be modified

R8s run with an airbox and remote filter, and I imagine the filters are top quality and available from the stealers

[​IMG]

3. Ess Three Forum Member

A few updates:

I wanted to keep the standard Cam Position Sensor, but run on coilpacks, so made up a new 'cover' for the ABF dizzy, grabbed a Zetec coil pack bracket from the local scrappy, and set to with some sheet steel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted to the spare head:

[​IMG]

I grabbed some early Zetec plug leads whilst plundering the scrappy, and made some new HT leads using Zetec coil pack ends on Beru 16v HT leads:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I needed more connections to the engine than was fitted to the engine loom plug (T28 I think?) so I grabbed a similar multi-plug (from the front headlight look of a Mk3 I think) from the local scrappy, ordered a couple of new mounting brackets from VW and set to with the TIG and grinder:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've started work on the fuel lines too...so thats next.
    Until next time...:thumbup:

4. m1keh Forum Member

Looking at mounting injectors in the airbox lid, unless you are running sequential injection your going to risk the fuel being sucked off into other cylinders. Your setup has less likelihood of this, although sequential injection would still be beneficial when running them like you are planning too. I guess the emerald should support this, although confusingly it hs 6 injector drivers and surely you'd need 8 for running your dual setup?

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

the zetec coil packs fit the standard 16v leads

6. Ess Three Forum Member

They fit the later style coil packs..but the leads are all too long.
    I wanted them neat - hence, making them to suit. :thumbup:

7. Ess Three Forum Member

From what I understand, mounting the injector nozzle at least in line with the outermost point of the bellmouth negates the scavenging.

Emerald does indeed have 6 configurable injector drivers, 4 used sequentially, 2 sharing the load of the outers in batch fire mode, once above 4500 RPM it's such a small difference between sequential and batch that things should be fine.
    Inners will remain sequentially fired using the cam position sensor reference, whilst the phased in outers will be batch only, using the crank sensor reference.

Karl at Emerald assures me the ECU is configured for it, and I've built the loom for it...so here's hoping!

8. m1keh Forum Member

Sounds like it'll be ok then.

9. Ess Three Forum Member

I hope so...
    I've already had to re-jig once, to run the inners sequentially (I wasn't going to bother initially) but Karl convinced me to re-jig to run the inners sequentially and the outers in batch.

I'll know soon enough...

10. m1keh Forum Member

Sequential is definately the way forward for close injectors from what i've seen, helps with mixing, sortve the same effect as with running the second set of injectors but for lower rpms.

11. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

why was this suggested?

12. Ess Three Forum Member

Purely for better emissions at idle, as I still run a catalyst.
    No difference for power, it seems, for the spec of the engine.

Outers will be fine fired in batch...batch vs sequential at 4500 RPM and over on a mild engine will have no obvious differences.

13. Ess Three Forum Member

Since Bill has come up with a solution to allow the fitting of curved spacers, I had a play about today with some recently aquired 40mm trumpets (thanks Rob!):

[​IMG]

These give much better space round the outer injectors...and I can keep the total induction length up by spacing further back towards the head. Which is good! [:D]

Wiring loom pretty much complete for outer injectors:

[​IMG]

The injector discs are still quite far into the bellmouths...if I can now get a taller filter on (curving down allows more clearance before hitting the bonnet) I may be able to pull the outer injectors forwards a bit - possibly even as far as level with the edge of the bellmouth/trumpet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have completed the additional wiring loom required for any wiring not pre-existing in the Digifant 3.2 set-up (coil pack wiring, outer injector drivers etc):

[​IMG]

Next up, fit the Badger5 curved adaptors, test fit, tweak the injector position, see if I can get a filter on/off...and tidy the loose ends up.

14. prof Forum Addict

can't wait

15. Ess Three Forum Member

Don't hold your breath prof...I've been at this 2 years already! :lol:

16. coullstar Forum Member

Impressive stuff. Would be good to hear this when finished.

17. etang789 New Member

Whats the benefit of going with 8 injectors? wont the fuel rail and injectors in the way of the optimum airflow?

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

19. Ess Three Forum Member

Righty oh...just a few updates:

Badger Bills curved adaptors in place:
    [​IMG]

Nice pieces of kit those...they do the job perfectly! :thumbup:

(I know they aren't bolted together correctly..I was trying to see how I'd actually bolt all this lot together in the engine bay)

Tidied up the wiring to the outer injectors:
    [​IMG]

A few quick pics of test fitting things together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It actually fits in the engine bay!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, the dome filter will fit...the backplate clears the alternator and filter clears the bonnet line - which is good.

The dipstick site even better with the adaptors fitted.

I'll need to chamfer the head water connection to angle the hose downwards slightly, to clear the filter backplate...not too big a job.

Sadly, it now hits the air conditioning pipework (bottom right of those last two pics)...so I'll have to bend/move/re-bracket that to give me the inch or so clearance I need. Or rip the air con out.

No chance of a larger dome filter though...and it's so tight I'll have to be careful how I fit everything to actually get it all together.

Progress though...albeit sloooooow progress.

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Coming together :thumbup:

Quite intricate with all the wiring for the outer 4. Can you do a close up pic?