ABF into MK2 checklist

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DuBAndy, Mar 17, 2013.

1. DuBAndy Forum Member

Hello,

I'm picking a ABF next week for my MK2. I'm taking the engine out myself so can make sure I get everything for the conversion.

I know it gets asked a lot but want to make sure I get everything...

My checklist:

Complete engine
    ECU
    Immobilizer box
    Key
    Transponder ring around the ignition switch
    Complete loom
    02A Box
    Cable shifter mech

Anything else I will need?

Cheers
    Andy

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

VAG-COM plug (which is where the electric window switches are) and leads to ciggy plug.
    I would get fuel pump, fuel lines and tank.
    Also get all relays. Must get ECU relay #30.
    Get battery and earth loom
    Maybe get front brakes too if yours are lesser than 256mm, so that will include hubs and carriers.

Hope that helps. Out of that list the must is VAG-COM and ECU relay as you have to change your old digi relay anyways.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  3. glove Forum Member

You will need the fuel thank shims for mounting, and the canister for the fuel vapors. If you ask me take and the instruments and install them in the MK2 dash, I have done it in my one and i like it. I hope that you are taking the complete wiring from the engine bay. And something else if you want check if the donor car have a MFA installed take the levers, and the according to it wiring, if not it can be done to work, yes it is possible every ECU have a MFA build in, it have to be connected.

4. DuBAndy Forum Member

Thanks yes of course the vag com connector. Wouldve forgot that.
    Why do I need the fuel tank?

5. DuBAndy Forum Member

Do you have any pics of the clocks installed in a mk2 dash?

6. Chrisrpal Events Team

MK3 fuel tank setup is better and neater than the MK2 digi plus bar pressure is better. The SEAT abf uses the digi mk2 fuel pump though. I kept mine standard but used MK2 16v fuel pump. I used mk2 clocks on mine with mk2 coil pack. Mk3 coil pack is poo, everyone will tell you that, they always break.

7. glove Forum Member

The fuel tank of MK3 is whit integrated pump in it and the opening for it is bigger then the MK2. The coil pack is not bad the problem which is coming with it is from lack of maintenance and changing the spark plugs, and there are tow types of coils big aluminium body
    [​IMG]
    and small
    [​IMG]
    The big one is more reliable than the small one, but still it is a taste of choice.

For the MK3 clocks in MK2 I will make you a picture tomorrow and post it, plain and with lights switched on.

8. Chrisrpal Events Team

I personally don’t like the mk3 clocks on the mk2 dash as you can’t see the fuel gauge and things alike properly as it doesn’t fit so snug around the MK2 dash. That’s my own opinion but I am sure a lot will disagree. I do however like the white dials on the MK3 clocks, well on the SEAT abf ones I have seen. You don’t need to run mk2 clocks with mk3 coil pack, you can wire the mk2 coil pack as per Rubjonnys faqs. If you do use mk3 coil pack you’ll have to mod Pin 1 with a wire to your dash to get rev counter working which is on plug G1 pin 12.

I guess it’s up to you if you use MK2 or MK3 clocks. If the MFA display is gone on the mk2 clocks then I’ll use MK3 clocks. If you use MK3 gearbox with mk2 clocks you can take out the sensor off the gearbox and put the red cog with Speedo cable into the hole that’ll get the mk2 Speedo counter working.

9. DuBAndy Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys! I have a spare Kjet fuel pump around if I need extra fuel pressure. I've seen the MK3 fuel tank with the fuel pump intergrated, it just looks like a lot of work to replace something that isn't broken (MK2 tank). How much fuel pressure does the ABF need? What does a digi put out?

Be interesting to see MK3 dials in a Mk2 dash. What about the loom for the dials? Surely you'd have to cut that around to fit it into a MK2 fusebox? Or run a MK3 fusebox??

10. Chrisrpal Events Team

From memory a standard digi MK2 fuel pump gives 3 bar, the abf gives 4 bar and the KR 16v 5 bar. The better fuel pressure the more power when you change the cams or upgrade the ECU. [:D]

I fitted a power chip same as Rubjonnys. Yet to get it on the rollers, anything above 150 HP is a bonus. lol

I would assume you'll need all the plugs from Mk3 dash to fuse box and wiper/ indicator stalks if you use MK3 clocks unless you splice into mk2 stalks, could be messy. I assume your exisitng wiring loom is CE2 not CE1?

11. DuBAndy Forum Member

Ah ok, So a standard ABF will be ok with the digi fuel pump for now? I think Kjet is 5bar so that will be good if I need to fit that at a later date.

What's this power chip? Somethnig that is soldered onto the ECU? Where is this sourced from?

Yes, sounds messy, I'm good with electrics but that sounds a lot of work. I have a CE1 fusebox so already have a lot of work to get it wired in, but there is a guide on here I found :thumbup:

12. Chrisrpal Events Team

Oh that does sound messy if you are CE1 loom. Not end of the world though ;)

The powerchip I got from this ebay seller below for 35. I made the guy a cheeky offer last year!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-G...rParts_SM&fits=Model:Golf&hash=item3f229b8db2

You need to find out ECU code. Mine was BE code. All I had to do was undo 4 screws, pull out ECU motherboard, unclip metal EMF box and pull ECU from ECU holder. Same as removal put all back with new chip, just earth yourself before touching ECU circuit and chip etc becuase of electrostatic. If nothing else with this chip it saves me on fuel as I had the cat deleted on installation on the abf in my MK2.

13. Chrisrpal Events Team

Oh and if you put transponder loop over ignition barrel and get a blank key like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-M...cessories_Safety_Security&hash=item2a1f1da065
    then you can swap over the chip from the MK3 key and put it into this key and get the blank key cut same as your ignition barrel. Now you got a chipped ECU that works rather than taping the chip to transponder loop like alot of people do on this conversion.

14. Chrisrpal Events Team

Yes the SEAT abf uses the MK2 golf pump. However if your pump isn't very good worth ugrading.

15. DuBAndy Forum Member

Brillant! Thanks for the link. So I take it that the chip doesn't have to be programmed?

16. DuBAndy Forum Member

That's pretty good, I nornally stay away from cheap "power chips" as they normally just increase the fuelling, but it sounds like this one has been mapped for a ABF & tried & tested so will definatly give it a go! Good info :thumbup: :)

17. Chrisrpal Events Team

Use your old chip from the abf key you get with ECU and fit that into new key as the key comes apart. Yes the new chip will need coding if you use the chip suppied by ebayer seller. You'll need VAG-COM for that. Volkswagen charge around 50 for this unless you know someone with a laptop that has VAG-COM installed with the lead locally to you. That's one job I need to do is get my spare key chip recoded as I only got one chip with my SEAT abf conversion.

18. Chrisrpal Events Team

Rubjonny had this chip installed into his MK2 and Toyotec did a rolling road on johns abf. It wasn't 171 bhp but had a good power increase. Email him if you want to know more information about his dyno report.

19. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The eproms increase torque slightly over std and make the car feel a bit more warmer than stock but not in the way a proper custom re cal does.

rubjonny achieved 149lbft@4600rpm and 166bhp@6200rpm with update eprom and 145lbft@4.3K and 160bhp@6.3K on OE ECU eprom

The exercise was conducted in this report Further ABF dyno development

Since then Ben's car in that article is currently calibrated to 174bhp@6200rpm and 161lbft@4500rpm ( 159lbft from 4000-5300rpm), way pokier than any chip can deliver!

20. Chrisrpal Events Team

Ben's using Megasquirt management to get those figures? Has he changed the cams also?