ABF loom connectors - location help needed

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by jmsheahan, Jun 3, 2012.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Ok cheers RJ, will pop out and get some more heatshrink and splice the lot together. Think the ciggy lighter area is taken up by my gauges but will look for a spare terminal somewhere.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the interior light is another place, look for red wires behind the fusebox. it should run to a spade connector there, you can splice in an extra spade wire to give you a plug for the vag-com port if that makes sence

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Bit nervous cutting wires but I'm sure it'll make sense when I look at it. Wiring ain't my fortay (incase you hadn't realised lol).

Hopefully if I wire this in and move that chip it should start!?

4. rubjonny

well if you move the chip it'll start as is most liekly, the immob box doesnt seem to fussed about the live wire as you can see the codes on it ok!

when you do the above what you can do instead of cutting wires, is strip 4mm or so of insulation off the wire without cutting it, then wrap the wire you want to splice in around the bared copper. add some solder then tape :thumbup:

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cool gotcha.

A quick look at toyotecs thread and he's placed the chip in the same place but higher up. Is that the correct place?

[​IMG]

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The placement has been working like that since the car was converted to an ABF engine years ago. Gad, Darren E and I have forgot it is even there!!

As you are aware that car is also a correlation car for dyno days.

You need to clear both the immobiliser and engine code before starting the engine.
    The engine controller is not OBD2 compatible as it was not exported to the north american territory, thus did not require the level of diagnostic monitoring.

7. rubjonny

toyotecs positioning is still closer to the reader coil than yours is, when i tape the chip i put it right on the front lip. if you still get signal too low you need another reader coil, as i say needs to be late polo/seat/golf as the earlier mk3 ones have a different plug on it

no need to clear the immobiliser codes before starting on an abf ;)

8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers chaps, I see. Just got supplies so about to head up for another crack at it.

I cleared the low signal code but not sure if it worked as was a trial version of Vagcom.

9. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Got to be getting on for the longest ABF swap in history now, still no joy [8(]

Spent 3 hours tinkering trying to get it to start today. Corrected the wiring as per above and pics:

Spiced the perm lives and ran them as two separate wires to these spare terminals on the fusebox. Got perm live on the immob box and the VagCom port now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moved the chip to various positions in (currently stuck like this) but it doesn't make any difference at all.

[​IMG]

Also spent ages trying to get VAGCOM to talk to it but for some reason it wouldn't today. When port testing I get the message 'Port Status: OK, Interface: Not Found' and 'No response from controller' if I try to scan the car despite matching the ports in Windows Device Manager. Will try again tomorrow if I can grab a lappy again.

I'm tempted to see if I can grab some more transponder loops down the scrappy tomorrow as I have the day off and see if that works although I don't really see how the Seat's could have broken? It worked fine in the Seat?

Again help is very much appreciated. This is becoming a joke now, pretty hacked off with it tonight.

10. rubjonny

they do just pack in, mine was ok for a few months then it would cut in the immobiliser once in every 5 or so starts, new one and its not done it again. was same code as you have signal too low.

the fact it cant talk to the immob box anymore could suggest its a wiring issue now rather than a chip problem, so get the vag-com back up and running then see what it says. have you tired scanning both the immob box and the ecu?

11. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Righto, I see cool. Yeah I've scanned the Immobiliser separately using the 'Select Control Module' option but couldn't see an option for straight scanning the ECU?

Spent another hour on it today. Armed with a different laptop I got VagCom working and communicating with the car again so that's promising :) I also grabbed another coil reader from the breakers to test. Upshot is changing the coil reader didn't make any difference. Neither did changing the Siemens immob box as I robbed that too (was just to test to see if it buzzed or anything, I know they are ECU specific).

Vagcom brought up the same fault codes when doing a full scan (Exactly the same comes up if I scan just 'engine' and 'immobilser' in the select control module mode):

[​IMG]

Seems to be the problem is still weak signal but moving the chip around various locations on the coil reader doesn't seem to change the outcome. I could take a gamble on buying a brand new coil reader from the dealers I guess, scrappy one could be duff too (unfortunately all the other mk3's/Polo's were early ones).

If everything is talking to each other again is it fair to say the wiring is all AOK or is there a chance this is still an issue?

Failing that are there companies out there that can defeat the immob partition of the ECU? Or buy a pre96 immob which is plug and play? Would save titting around with it in the future should it fail.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  12. rubjonny

its 01-engine, top left. just like it says in the auto scan report ;)
    you have pm!

edit: dont worry about the clicking, that must only happen on the early ones. the fact you can scan it means its powering up fine :)

the clicking is just a trick i tell people to use for finding out if the immobiliser box is switching on if you dont have diagnostics

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012