Abf + Nos

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Matt82, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

anyone on here done this before? im not looking for top fuel dragster levels of power, maybe an 'easy' 20bhp or so.

will it be worth it considering the weight added? is it high maintenance (ie my car doesnt move during the week, would this be unsafe).

i have a new clutch, is the drive train in general up for a hike like this?

the car is fun at the moment. brakes and suspension have been worked on. i think id want the nos so that i could unleash that little bit extra fury on the occassional dual carriageway thrash.

or is it basically not worth it?

2. Lord0pants Forum Member

I'm not sure the Digifant management will enjoy the increased O2... It would be cheap and easy enough to install- and the only weighty bit would be the canister-dependant on size of course. Your insurance company might have a a few words to say also.
    I think it'll come down to how the ABF ECU entertains change- and it isn't exactly renowned for it's flexibility.
    I have an ABF on standard management in mine- I hope I'm wrong!- An extra 25hp or so would always be handy.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  3. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Probably would have been best posting in the Supercharged, Turbo Nitrous section but hey ho.

I don't see any reason why you can't run gas on your ABF. Pretty sure Brookster has experience with nitrous on these engines. You'd be absolutely fine with a 25hp shot from a basic kit. 50 would probably be ok but you may want to think about a basic progressive controller to take the edge of the hit for the sake of transsmission components (and wheel spin!!)

My 2.0L 8v is running over 200bhp on gas all on a stock bottom end, clutch and transmission using 75 bhp nitrous on a progressive controller. And the ABF 02A transmissions are generally a bit stronger than the 020 8v units.

Go for it!!

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

how much did yours cost?

isnt it the case that this stuff actually cools the intake temps too?

5. Daz... Forum Member

Personally I wouldn't be too keen on putting NOS on your car. What's the mileage on it, sure it's getting on for 160k now isn't it?

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yup, just a touch under 160k.

im not totally set on the idea, just want to see the pros and cons at the minute.

is there a bit con with the fact its for a lotta miles on it?

7. Daz... Forum Member

It's all the other parts connected I'd be wary about if the engine seems ok....gearbox, fuel pump etc..

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the engine seems quite peachy. i had a chase with a supposed high bhp VR6 on sunday (had to challenge him because of the tall claims), i was having to short shift before the top of 3rd and 4th cos i was about to going into the back of him.

all that, plus it returns over 30mpg all the time.

im more worried about the drivetrain or the engine taking itself off its mounts or something

has that happened before? or would i need tons more power to do t that

9. Daz... Forum Member

Never used NOS myself but my uncle has on a few cars and I knew a chap who used it in a Clio 16v and was advised against it in his FTO. Something about engine mounts for that one.

I guess it would be a safe bet to say you'd be wise to replace/upgrade anything that may be affected by it...which will be a lot of things!

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

sounds like this could be very complicated and costly. in short, im best off with a Audi TT 225 lump lol

11. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

and then you get audi tt fuel consumption all the time. no the best thing about nos as i see it, if its not switched on you get normal consumption and drivability.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i get the impression that the delivery can be abrupt and its an on going expense to refill. i see it as cheating a bit too lol [:D]

what about a mad max switchable type supercharger with fighter jet type covered trigger switch?

13. supercharged999 Forum Member

there is no such thing as cheating :o POWER IS POWER [:D]

i ran 25 shot on my Digifant , then went to 50 shot.

25 was nice an easy, just went though the gears a lot faster.believe it or not , nitrous can actually be good for your car.

when used it cleans out your greased up inlet manifold and cleans the head too.

problems arise when you go more than 50 shot and components cant cope.(esspecially if they are old/worn )

go for 25 shot :clap:

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i was thinking that. i dont want silly silly power (and i hope that i dont get the bug and start aiming for 200 lol)

how much would a 25 kit be, ish?

15. 444IN Forum Member

16. oak8vgti Forum Member

prob find the vr was taking things easy, what speed where you going from 3rd to 4th?

17. suttonval Forum Member

Ive had a go at a VR a few times in the past, one that lives round the corner from me, although they sound great, they dont do a lot until they hit much higher revs and speed. I can honestly say there was very little to nothing in it. Probably a different story on the motorway etc, but sprint racing and general driving he couldnt lose me.

A lot could also be to do with the condition of the cars in question aswell etc. A poorly maintained VR could be producing less bhp than a well maintained valver etc.

Still want a VR though, cant beat that V6 sound!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

to the top of 4th. we had arranged to go out for a chase, he was bragging a lot and i didnt beleive him

even a healthy VR is barely much quicker than mine. wouldnt fancy lining up against a well tuned one

19. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'd race you:lol:

On a private track of course.

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

is yours a poorly tuned one then?