ABF's, subframes, manifolds and mk2's

Discussion in 'Engines' started by beaniegti, Sep 12, 2007.

1. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Sorry for another 2.0l into mk2 question but i coundn't find the answer anywhere.

I have an ABf to go into my late mk2 valver. I will be running it on k-jet so intend to just swap the blocks.

i know some suffer with the taller block causing the inlet to foul the bonnet so i intend to use a mk3 subframe rather than denting the bonnet (the mk2 one needs removing and blasting anyway)

Question is, which mk3 subframes are suitable? Will any of them work (even VR6??[:s] ) or will it need to be from a gti?

Also, could a seat one be used? Again, which are suitable.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I thought clearance was just a problem in Mk1's and the worst that happened in Mk2 was fouling of the throttle cable bracket, which can be sorted with a hammer/grinder.

If you want a spare Mk2 Subframe to paint up, I've got one you can have. I seem to remember you're somewhere near Banbury - is that right?

3. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

I think you're right about the throttle cable being the only part that touches but i still fancied going down the mk3 subframe route to avoid having to grind/dent the bonnet (even if it is only minor)

I was also thinking about ex manifolds and figured that going for a mk3 subframe might give me a bit more clearance around the bulkhead for a 4branch [:s]

Thanks for the offer on the subframe though, i'll hold out for now but may get back to you depending on what i decide. Oh, i'm actually from bournemouth way :)

4. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Think changing the subframes a bit more effort than the 5 mins it took with my dremel to trim mine down a bit.

Got no issues with it now.

5. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

:lol: I'm bloody sure its a lot more effort but i plan to take the mk2 stuff off anyway to blast and paint it so in reality, if the mk3 is a direct fit, it won't be any more hassle.

Thing is, i quite fancy a four branch on there so my thinking was that lowering the engine on a mk3 subframe might allow the use of a mk2 miltek manifold (haven't been able to find any mk3 manifolds and i don't know how they'dline up on a mk2) I could, no doubt be wrong-any ideas?

6. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Well If you was plaining to take it all off anyway to get it painted etc...that defo makes you seem less mental lol

Im not sure how much space those 4 branches take up, but looks like plenty where my manifold is. (Using original KR)

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

The other way to adjust the position of the engine slightly is by judicious use of spacer washers in the engine mounts - tilting the engine back another 5 or 10mm will help with clearance.

8. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Not 100% which route i'll end up taking with this but i could still do with knowing which of the mk3 or seat subframes are suitable just in case.

Anybody know?

9. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

bump for a bit of info on subframes

10. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

If your going to change to a mk3 subframe, why not get one with a VR6 still sitting in it lol

11. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

:lol:

now you mention it...........[:|]

12. squibby Forum Member

You may find the downpipe is either touching the bottom of the car or very close so as to bang. This is the other clearance problem to consider.

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Exhaust fouling when attempting ABF swaps does not occcur with STD VAG exhaust manifold KR, 9A or ABF, when used with either 8v or 16v dowm pipes or 16v or 8v engine mounts. I cannot say for those long 4 into 1 generic systems systems as I have never found a need to warrant that route.

14. damogti Forum Junkie

mine fowled the bulkhead so i made a spacer out of another manifold and used longer manifold studs. This is using an ABF manifold and MK2 8v downpipe.

15. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  16. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

cheers for the input guys.

Have to say i haven't a clue about changing over all the other associated arms and bits-i had assumed the mk2 stuff would bolt up....[:s]

As for the exhaust, if the standard one fits without touching then i'll probably stick with that.

DubDread, what did you do to the acc. cable?

17. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

its gotta bracket that slips behind the intake manifold rather than on top

18. squibby Forum Member

aaahh,
    I have been waiting for someone to say this. My mate did a VR6 conversion with a mk3 subframe and changed all the running gear to five-stud wheel mk3 bits. I wasn't sure if this was a neccesity.

Sounds like it is though

19. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

you dont have to change subframe the vr and abf have the same subframes ,and as far as i am aware both will fit on a KR subframe

but it you have got a whole mk3 donor car you may as well update and you get a wider track

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Some 4 branch manifolds hit the bulkheads, some do not its pot luck. There are no issues with bonnet clearance with the ABF using ABF management on a MK2 subframe, I've just finished putting one in a mates MK2 :)
    However I've heard using an ABF block with K-Jet managment can result in the throttle body touching the bonnet, but since I've not done this I can't say for sure.
    Toyotec: any comments?

Also I've heard it said the ABF on a MK3 subby sits lower than a MK2 subby, but no definitive quotes from people who have actually done it, just 'yeah some bloke down the pub said...' :lol:

Oh and no need to swap wishbones or anything else like that when fitting a MK3 subby, everything will bolt straight on. The only thing you need are MK3 engine mounts & brackets :thumbup: