ABF's, subframes, manifolds and mk2's

Discussion in 'Engines' started by beaniegti, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mk1Matt Forum Member

The only thing that touches the bonnet on my conversion is the throttle cable hook. Mine's an ABF on K-Jet, using the original mk2 subframe. I'm also using the ABF manifold and the KR downpipe, with loads of clearance on the bulkhead.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

^^ Ditto. You can bend this to lessen the stop effects of chaffing the rear bonnet rib.

3. damogti Forum Junkie

Ive had problems with my ABF making contact with the bonnet. It has made a nice dent in one of the support bars going across. My ABF is using a MK2 subframe and standard management [:|]

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

we also fitted a solid front mount, maybe that stops the engine tilting back so much under load? The only other thing was we fitted a late 16v/G60 rear engine mount, maybe that makes it sit a bit lower?

5. damogti Forum Junkie

I fitted a new 16v rear mount last year and it made no difference [:s]

how high is the front mount?? Im using a MK2 solid GTD/Auto front mount at the minute and to me the engine looks very lopsided and tilting towards the front of the engine bay...... I have a solid to put on but a bit lothed to do it if it wont change the position of the engine and stiffen it up....

6. rubjonny

Erm AFAIK it was same as the one we took off, its a BBM motorsport jobby. Got me stumped, only other things I can think of:
    1. Do you have a gen VAG bonnet
    2. Do you have the early or late ABF inlet/tbody setup? They changed the design for the SEAT ibiza slightly so it fits round the master cylinder area better, since the Ibiza was based on the MK2. Maybe they reduced the height a touch as well? We have a late 96 engine so its the same as the SEAT one.

7. damogti Forum Junkie

I have a '96 Golf ABF with the later inlet etc..... bonnet is original and genuine vag afaik....

i have just purchased a flowed SEAT Cordoba inlet however so i'll compare the two inlets and see if there is any difference.... The i cant see the cordoba and ibiza having different inlets and i'd guess the cordoba has a smaller engine being based on a polo saloon....

8. rubjonny

I'm not exactly sure what they changed, may have just been the shape of the rubber boot! I know at least there are 2 airbox, ISV & breather setups on the MK3 after looking at tons of ABF pics trying to figure out where everything went on our conversion :lol:

If the inlet & tbody is the same I'm out of ideas why it hits on some and not others [:s]

9. the race shop New Member

here is what you do. take the rear mount off the subframe.turn it around backwards.it has dowl pins in it but it will still bolt up.redrill the mounting hole down 2cm and back 2cm. my engine fits perfect now and is level and not jacked up on one side.

10. the race shop New Member

11. damogti Forum Junkie

^^^^ Wish mine sat level like that!!

How does turning the mount round change the height??? [:[]

12. the race shop New Member

i didnt relize some of you are running a diff style mount. my car was an 8v with the round style mount in the rear. it looks like you can still do it ,you just have to get a 8v round style mount. i used the poly insert in it too.the reason you turn it around is to get the space needed to drill the hole. what happed to my pic??

13. rubjonny

Oh I think I know what you mean, drill a new hole in the bracket that bolts to the subframe?

14. the race shop New Member

yes. so that all you have to do is bolt it back up to the subfame and use the new hole down lower and back more. the one that uses the large bolt that slides all the way through. hard to explain. maybe i can get a pic but i see it didnt last long on here

15. damogti Forum Junkie

I've just recently replaced my original 8v rear mount with a 16v item.... i take it this doesnt work with a 16v mount? [:[]

16. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

it would be good to see pics of your mount as i am trying to sort the abf high issue in my mk2

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

If you put the rear mount on the wrong way it'll rub on the driveshaft at certain suspension/steering angles.

18. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

jeez...

i never had any of these problems with height and touching the bonnet, my abf has always sat in the engine bay fine, never touched anything, any problem i have is the 4branch..

Before i put two gaskets on for the charger, i ran a 4branch for just under a year, it ended up breaking and blowing really bad... Im running a bbm solid from, and 16v g60 rears..

19. the race shop New Member

the round engine mount stays the same, you have to turn the bracket around that mounts to the subframe and then cut it up so it doesnt bind. its hard to explain but it is pretty easy to do. now my 4 branch sits right in the middle between the rack and bulkhead and never rubs either and i have the big race 4 branch.look in this pic and you can see where the old welded nut is still on there. thats where the old bolt used to thread into, now i just used a nut on the other side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

that looks worth a try before i swap to a mk3 subframe[xx(]