ABF's, subframes, manifolds and mk2's

Discussion in 'Engines' started by beaniegti, Sep 12, 2007.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Genius solution!

2. the race shop New Member

when you take the bracket off the subframe it is one piece, you have to cut the bridge piece off that connects the 2 sides together and make them 2 separate pieces then mount them backwards.the little nothces that are cut out around the base are for the bolt head to slide through it was i tight fit.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Good for an 8v RH Mount and/or if runninf 4 into 1 extractors/headers. Not 16v viscous filled mounts.

4. the race shop New Member

the subframe is the same ,all you have to do is get the 8v mount. i also have the poly insert in there to stiffen it up. some might not like the vibration but i have a soild front mount too . im used to it.

5. Toyotec

If you use a 02A gearbox and MK3 front bracket on your ABF Kjet conversion the engine it will foul the bonnet with the spark plug lead holder or idle by pass hose.. If you use a Corrado or even a modified 020 one it will not but may scuff the rear of bonnet with the throttle cable backet bending or repostioning normally solves this. ABFs with full EFi Digi 3/3.2 may hit bonnet with MK3 Golf throttle body purge canistor intake and this is with the "right mounts". Seat TBs/inlet do not assuming 8v/16v mounts and 020 gearbox. All engines combinations I have described have VW factory exhausts and have no issues as I have never seen the sense in over scavenging my engine with a generic 4 into 1 system for reduced torque but high revving engine on a road car with STD camsets.

6. the race shop New Member

what do you mean by overscaveging 4 into 1? the factory downpipes are crap. can you explain why i make 178-180 bhp with my abf with just a 4 into 1 and lightwieght crank pulley?. torque? this abf feels as good as my 235 bhp vr6 and i havent even built it yet

7. Toyotec

I have tested various exhausts systems and diameters on these engines cannot find a case for an ABF with a generic 4 into to 1 sytem that is not optimised to the cams, inlet system and torque charchater for the STD engine. I would perfer a custom 4 into 2 system with pre calulated pipe diameters and correct primary runner lengths as well as secondary lengths and the closest to this here is a supersprint system. This not mean that if one has high compression, cams and sidedrafts/itbs that a 4 into 1 system designed with the correct lengths and diameters would not work or that I expect that they would use the OEM manifold and downpipe with their torque peak at 6200rpm.
    But making a blanket statement that factory downpipes are crap needs redefining for which engine operating conditions, type of vehicle and application and of course owner/driver expectations.
    Yes STD ABFs are very torquey things with little or nothing added to them just proper optimising this is why your car may "feel" like a more powerful car. You would need to build the VR6 to prove this though lol!! But you cannot attribute this claimed 178-180bhp @????rpm peak to a mismatched 4 into 1 system without proper engine optimising and back to back testing.
    We drive torque.
    You can get 180bhp with only 120lbft if you rev this torque hard enough. So you peak BHP values say nothing about torque developement.
    This does not mean that what you said about the O/S engine mount brackets and their modification to lower the cambelt end of the tall block 16v motor should be discredited by those who do have a 4 into 1 system. It is another option if all else fails.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yeah, I'd share the view is a 4-branch gives little benefit on a standard motor, although Tim Stiles cites them as a big benefit on a modded motor, in his book.

Nice trick with the mount, btw...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  9. Toyotec

He does and I believe him.

10. damogti Forum Junkie

Nice mod, i like that!!! :clap:

Gonna have a look at doing similar with mine i think although my 16v rear is nearly new.... i wonder if there would be a way to mod that maybe in a similar way [:s]