Another project I don't need

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Defiantly. This was one if the bigger things to do, so the other bits to do to the shell should come together quite quickly.

2. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Cleaned up the diagonal bar for the cage and got that installed.

[​IMG]

The next main task is to get the seat mounts installed. But I need to feel out where my preferred seating position is. So I have to fit the pedals and steering column. Had to move the bracket that bolts up to the steering column for it to fit. And then I thought I might as well modify the fuse box bracket to get it to fit while I was there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I started beating the firewall so the clutch master cylinder fits. Looks a lot neater in the flesh. Obviously I still need to patch up the other hole though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Tackled fitting the seats yesterday. Took longer than I expected, but that was mostly measuring 100 times to make sure I got them all spot on.
    But first I had to set up something to measure from, Luckily I had some angle iron long enough to sit across the sills

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut the bars to length and angled them so they sat level and at the height I measured.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bent the strengthening plates up and tacked it all in place so I could make sure they are the correct distance apart and parallel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Welded in place

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I did the passenger side. Decided to fit the passenger side lower down and further back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test fitted the seats, fitted perfectly. Very happy. Couldn't resist putting the trim and dials in too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And today started assembling the rear end so I can turn the car around to work on the engine bay and test fit the engine and measure a few things for charge pipes and exhaust etc. Then I can pull it all apart again to paint the interior and engine bay.

I also test fit the fuel stuff.

[​IMG]

beetie and Sirguydo like this.
  4. Hot Water Forum Member

Enjoying your build so much!

Lukeybabes likes this.
  5. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got the rear beam built up with new brake pipes and polo gti stub axle conversion yesterday. So the car is on four wheels now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turned the car around so I could work on the front end.

[​IMG]

But to do that I had to clean out under the car as thats where I was chucking all the sound deadening and brackets I was removing. I need to steel the bathroom scales so I can weigh it.

[​IMG]

And today I gave the car a quick clean off. Used some iron x to get rid of the metal that was no doubt imbedded in the paint from all the grinding and welding. It only reacted a little bit.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I started on the clutch master cylinder hole

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sirguydo and beetie like this.
  6. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Looks much better with a lick of paint

[​IMG]

Test fitted the brake servo and master cylinders after I cleaned a load of wax oil from the engine bay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decided to remove the security bolts from the steering column while it was out. Just incase I decide to lower it a bit. Welded some nuts too the top of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then this happened.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little bit of clearance on the standard brake master cylinder.

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist to chuck the front end on too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spacecowboy, Finite, beetie and 2 others like this.
  7. Hot Water Forum Member

Sooooo good!

Lukeybabes likes this.
  8. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks! just ordered a g60/vr6 corrado radiator, intercooler and pipework, a load of clips and grommets, and some stuff to make a downpipe. Not gonna pay 200 for a downpipe for this turbo when it probably wont stick around too often after I start driving it.

Pretty much done with the buying of parts now. Im sure there is a few little bits I'm forgetting for the wiring. Oh and I need some decent brake pads. Any recommendations for standard rear brakes and g60 fronts?

9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Luke the majority of track car users seem to just use standard pads at the back just to keep the car straight , no real stopping power from the back as all the weight on front axle when braking track hard :thumbup:
    Front wise Nige liked carbon Lorains I've got yellow stuff ones but not running your power .
    Sure you'll get many thoughts .
    Sparrow, jomanjo , gurds and Nige are track day guys then you've got the racers like mitlom .

Lukeybabes likes this.
  10. Lukeybabes Forum Member

11. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Did a little bit this evening. Weighed all the sound deadening and brackets I cut out. 25kg. Fair bit of weight. Will be interesting to see how much it weighs at the end of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also stripped the wiring of all that horrible wire covering and started to cut a few wires out that aren't needed.

[​IMG]

12. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got the Corrado VR6 radiator, intercooler and pipework in the week. So cracked on and mounted it all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to angle the radiator in order to fit the intercooler with room for the charge pipes. I will be braising and filling the hole in the cross member up when I take it off. Didn't want the engine getting sparks all over it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I cut the piping to fit. Only need to get one joint welded and I only used 2 of the pipes. Was expecting to use much more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut the coolant hoses to length. Looks like a factory fit! Luckily I hoarded all the hoses from the cars that I have broken and I had the perfect size and angled one for the top hose.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Added the connections for the recirculation and N75 valves. Cut them out of the old pipe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And lastly I modified the Ibiza master cylinder to fit the mk2. Cut the stump off and drilled 3mm down inside the shaft.

[​IMG]

13. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Very nice. I'm rather jealous! [:D]

Looking great so far, can't wait to see it finished!

14. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks! Not much left on the to do list now really.

15. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got the shifter mechanism and rear brake bias valve mounted. I know it looks a little flimsy, but it's solid. I can shake the whole car on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Funkmaster Forum Member

Ive just gone from page 1 to 7 and didnt realise there was no page 8!!!

I hope following this thread isnt going to be like waiting a week between new Walking Dead episodes :p

Oh yeah, hooked on this thread btw!

17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Good work. You don't need to drill the master cylinder out 3mm. You can grind the 'spud' down that's in the servo, just pull it out with some pliers.

Nige likes this.
  18. squint51 New Member

lots of inspiration from this!

19. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks! Well my last few posts have been pretty frequent. So hopefully it's not like that. Which reminds me I need to catch up on the walking dead. I'm sure it will be a disappointment though. Lol.

I thought It would be better to modify as little parts as possible. So since the master cylinder needed the stump cutting off anyway I might as well just drill it as well.

Thanks! Glad to hear it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  20. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Downpipe is made. The welds aren't the prettiest but its sealed and will do the job as intended. Might heat wrap it anyway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

afbiker02, Sirguydo and Savagesam like this.