Been R32 shopping today!

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Golfgirl, Mar 19, 2004.

1. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Oh yeah - I've got the standard stereo (6 CD dash changer, 8 speakers, etc) and it's very good indeed.
    Unless you are into mega bass then it doesn't need an upgrade and won't make any difference in price when you sell it.
    Drive them both too - They can actually differ a bit partly becuase they are bit special.
    The engine sounds so damn good anyway - Start it up and see if you can hide that grin!

2. Rob.gti Forum Member

The difference with yours and mine mate, is they are not BLUE! For some reason the Blue has a premium price tag. We have browsed the VW websites and Traders and unless your mad enough to buy a car like this from a private seller, then the Dealers are the only place to go IMO.

The price is about right for the car details and for the colour. The "stonechips" are not as bad as as they are being made out to be, probably usual for 10000 mile car, and they definitely dont need to respray the whole bumper.

Its just a chioce Claire has got to make. There are silver ones going for 20000, but she dont want silver... you know what women are like ;)

3. alexc Forum Member

Don't under-estimate your motor Gary, with a bit more tuning you won't be far off.

David H managed to stay level with our Black Westside R32 upto 140mph on the way back from Belgium last year.

Getting back to the subject at hand, go for it Claire, I've driven a few R32s and really rate them as a production car, but a few modest tweaks should liven things up a bit more! ;)
    Edited by: alexc

4. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Rob - Didn't realise colour made so much difference!
    I know that white cars are worth less but paying well over a grand more for blue seems a lot.
    You had an fun blasts in yours yet?
    Had plenty of grin inducing moments in mine now!

5. Golfgirl Forum Member

It's standard 3 dr Diamond Black apart from a S/S exhaust, lowered suspension and K&N. It also has a passenger airbag as an option. They initially offered me 2,600 which I obviously declined! They then got in touch with Andy Chappel at Volkswizard who offered me 2800, and with some more bartering we settled on 3k. However, the mods I was going to take off (lights, grille) have to stay on. The car is worth more than 3k in my opinion, but I think it's a bloomin good price for an 8 year old trade-in with 103k miles. Parker's price for a trade in is 2635 based on 80k miles.

6. Golfgirl Forum Member

Nah, unfortunately not - as much as I'd love to take it and give a good thrashing and drive it like it should be driven, we've already booked Gary's car on the ferry. Maybe next year ;) It would be nice to travel in luxury, but we'll be going in Gary's boneshaker instead :lol:

7. Golfgirl Forum Member

I'm spending my payrise before I get it [:s]

8. Golfgirl Forum Member

I've already pushed them as far as I can with regards to a good deal TBH. I don't want to overdo it. I very much doubt I'll get tax out of them, but I might try for some fuel. I need to tax the Mk 3 at the end of this month anyway so it's not like I'm losing out.

With regards to selling it privately, it has been in several Classifieds for 3 weeks now. I would prefer to sell it myself if I could so that I could put down a slightly bigger deposit, but I doubt I'll sell it by Tuesday now [:^(]
    Edited by: Golfgirl

9. Golfgirl Forum Member

I've been looking on Autotrader and most of the dealers that are selling them in there are VW dealers anyway. I am a bit dubious about getting one from an independent dealer, and I'm certainly not taking out a 20k loan to get a private one. There's more comeback if there's a problem if I buy from a VW dealer, plus the dealer I've been seeing have really been as helpful as they can and done their best to get me a good deal. Knowing that I'm an enthusiast they are not going to rip me off, because it will just get passed down to you lot and they will suffer in the long run.

10. Golfgirl Forum Member

The stereo wasn't on my list of "must haves" but finding out it had been upgraded was a bonus. I'm glad you say the standard stereo is ok, because someone on the mkivs forum said it was pants!

At the moment I'm swaying towards the 03 model, but I'm going to wait til Tuesday and drive the other one like you say and inspect them both over really well.
    Edited by: Golfgirl

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Boneshaker? - You're ok as you've got some seat padding already built in [:D]

:lol: - Not to mention the tyres cost 130 each (225/40x18) it'll need 4 tyres after a weekend at the 'ring ;)
    Edited by: G_V_K

12. Golfgirl Forum Member

I managed to keep up with Rob in his R32 on the way back from the dealers yesterday. I had to put in a lot more effort and couldn't take the roundabouts quite as well, but I just about kept up!

I have no intentions of tweaking it. Not only will it void the warranty but the insurance and running costs are enough as it is! It is powerful enough and looks ok as it is!

13. GVK

14. Rob.gti Forum Member

LOL. I have already told you I was waiting for you most of the time. You wanna a rematch and me drive properly? I dont think you will be typing that again :p :lol:

15. Golfgirl Forum Member

I will when I've bought mine ;)

16. Rob.gti Forum Member

That I dont mind[:D]

17. MarkGolf Forum Member

3k for your car!!!

Is that IT??

Surely it's worth more than that?

Private sale??

18. GVK

[duncan norvelle]Chase me:lol:[/duncan norvelle]

19. GVK

It is worth more than that but all Claires had interest from is kids who can't get it insured ;)

20. AndrewF Forum Addict

whose duncan norvelle?