Best Cam

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Admin, Dec 30, 2003.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Sounds like balls! I got 137lbs/ft & 135bhp @ Stealth a while back on my 2L with a S1 head. The 1800 is only 109lbs/ft standard FFS! A tuned 1800 with std head/ new cam is gonna be 120-125lbs/ft IMO

2. g60 pb Forum Member

Yeah thats what I thought.......he's got the print out with it on anyway, I'll have a look at it tonight :)

Its either a miracle cam, the Rolling Road is out of whack or theres something he's not letting on ;)
    Edited by: g60 pb

3. atkinss Forum Member

According to my VW manual the 1800 8v is 117lb/ft standard without a cat or 116lb/ft with a cat.

Cheers

4. smithy Forum Member

Yeah, I was a bit suspect about my torque figure as well, but thats what the graph says. It goes well for what it is anyway.

Personally, I dont think 2.0 8v's are all they are cracked up to be, all you get is a wider spread of torque on an engine that wont rev out properly, at least not without a big valve head/cam which tends cost a lot of money.

ChrisMC's setup shows that they can make very good power though when allowed to breathe correctly :)

5. chrismc Forum Junkie

Tis true..

A bit pap on standard sized valves, certainly BHP wise, despite all the flowing under the sun. Max power was at 5400..Loads of torque though!

Now peak power is up at 5700, but 20BHP more peak, & really gutsy from 2000 up. It is possible to shift the max power figure up a bit by retarding the cam timing slightly, but this will compromise torque low down..

Might do this for the high RPM work on the track at Mallory!! ;)