big BHP 8v

Discussion in '8-valve' started by deepdishtj, Nov 6, 2008.

1. deepdishtj Forum Member

anyone out there with a high bhp n/a 8v? i have herd of one with 205bhp any one else no of any? 2e/pb etc.....

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

205? Where was that?

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Ian Carvell used to have 190bhp
    Chrismc's 8v was 155bhp
    VR6will had 180ish bhp from a x flow head
    fthaimike has quick 8v too

I hope mine will be up there some where when its done!

people have had more with N20 kits and / or blowers, but the above were all NA

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  4. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Ians was the biggest iv heard, but that was high CR internals, good amount of head work, lairy cams, webbers and blueprinted i think. Out of a digi like yours I wouldnt expect to ever get much more than 140bhp, think a guy on here called supercharged666 used to get about that figure with a good amount of work with road useable cams, mine did 135 at stealth once but then significantly less elsewere, huge torque figues thou.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

If you use a PB or 2E type 8v block and head casting, I'd say you'll get maybe 160bhp and similar lbft without significantly raising the compression ratio.

More is possible with an X-Flow head, higher compression, and throttle bodies or big carbs.

It really all depends on
    - how much can you afford to spend, and
    - what do you want to use the car for?

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

160bhp on digi injection? or would you need to change to a different fueling method?

7. deepdishtj Forum Member

it was at my work before i started there. it had massive throttle bodies a stupidly lary cam high comp ratio, solid lifters etc....the dogs danglies basicaly! wouldnty be too nice on the road tho i wouldnt of thought:lol:

8. deepdishtj Forum Member

i dont want to have an 8v with that much power! too costly and alot of work!
    was just seeing what power has been acheived before!
    goin down the abf route as i want 200+ bhp without goin down the turbo/scharger scenario! [:D]

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

chrismc's 8v was running original digi components im sure the AFM was modded and the chip altered but it was still a digi, the injectors were almost maxed as at the std fuel pressure they can flow enough for 39hp each which means chris was only 1 horse from maxing them!

I thought Ian C's 8v block was almost std... maybe not tho.

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I do remember Ian saying that his bottom end was almost standard then someone else saying that it was hardly standard??? not sure if ian was being slightly sarcastic? was a while ago now, was it a ex slick 50 engine (not sure iv got that right)?

Supose as far as digi injectors go putting g60 ones in would help the flow rate, chrismc's must of been one of the highest powered digis around!

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

mine was 160bhp 156flb at stealth but was a 2.1

I could have fitted a pack D instead of my C & fitted TB's, would have gotten more out of it but the more you strangle the more chance it has of going pop.

mine was a proven mechanicaly sound engine upto 123k before a rebuild so i preffered reliability over a bit more bhp.

12. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

And one missing from the above list...

My 1800 8v... 193hp, and no turbo or nitrous in sight.

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

An 1800 or 2ltr 8v with 145-155hp makes for a very handy road car. Dont chase the big headline bhp number, a strong power spread is much more important than "mines bigger than yours" peak numbers... and that goes for 16v engines too.

14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Tarmac 1870 rally engine

I have been running an 8V rally engine in my mk1 tarmac car for a few years now. Usual spec, nice head, group A cam etc, on 45DCOE's very sweet engine. 132hp at wheels last time checked. Just had a full rebuild and completed one rally (otterburn) 2 weeks ago.

Could be persuaded to part with the whole lump, as I've another engine on the stand nearing completion. Would make a fantastic fast road/trackday engine as it will pull 1500rpm in top, and comes on the cam at 4, peaking at 7. Still in car so could be tried.
    MPG not good mind.
    Absolutely no timewasters or dreamers.

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

sorry mr H[:$] how could i forget

16. paultownsend Forum Member

can we have any exact specs for these home brew 8v's?

17. deepdishtj Forum Member

its going to be a track car so i will be having the t*ts revved of it and given proper abuse. so im not worring about drivability

18. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

X flow head on ITB's would be good but alternatively PB head with bigger valves and some bike carbs the low budget way

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Has bike carbs been done reliably on here?

20. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

mike do you run your 2.1 on std fueling or have you got carbs? im just interested as ive bought a TSR 8v for my project and am just wandering what kind of power i should expect. its lightened balanced big valve head and 286 cam with weber 45's hopefully should be a nice road race engine?!