Big, fat, stinking Mk3 Golfs

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by voteforpedro, Jun 13, 2008.

1. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

I have still to drive a 1.8T that can match the power delivery of NA car, I have done the mapping on a few different versions of the ME7 1/2 meg and 1 meg ecu's and there is always a glitch some where in the map. It is just a very clinical power delivery....

If you just bench mark on power and torque then there is a definate advantage with the 1.8t but it has no sole, the NA engine with a good old fashioned throttle cable gets my vote..

It always feels like you are never fully in control when driving a car that has a DBW TB either in turbo form or NA.

2. Admin Guest

I've NEVER seen a VR produce 190Bhp without some money being thrown at it.

3. Admin Guest

The champion of the 1.8T engines, large ports, forged rods, forged pistons is the AGU. Which is throttle cable.

Does it have Mackerel?

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i was refering to the 20vt's diesel power delivery, hence youd not be launching one with 4k on the tacho. i got sheryl's to 60 in 6.3 by lauching at 2.4krpm

the rest of your post just reads as very confused.

ofcourse a 20vt has a higher specific output than a vr6, a lot of engines do

and as for abf vs 20vt, of course one is capable of more power, it has a turbo, that should be obvious, but a mk3 abf (basically standard) will match a mk4 golf with ko3s which has "212bhp"

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

clinical power delivery? id go as far as to say the delivery was pony.

20vt power deliveries (unless they have had lots of money thrown at them) deliver power like a diesel

hth

6. Admin Guest

I have a naturally aspirated car which has 2x (and another 21 more) the Bhp of your ABF rubbish.

It has almost flat torque curve, in fact its a line, not a curve.

However that power is not as usuable as the 20vt in a lot of siuations as the linear delivery of power in a N/A car means it needs to be running at high rpm and high speed to see top Bhp. So for example, on a tight track the turbo would be faster mostly, on a long track, the N/A would be faster.

A turbo gives power and torque at predetermined points as specified by the remapping.

Take my old Audi for example, even at lowest it had more torque than an ABF and at highest it has just under 300ft.lbs.
    It had more Bhp too and was a more agressive curve.

This all said, we could all argue until the cows come home but the fact remains, the 20vt is popular for a reason and its 100x more popular than the ABF ever was, and with different marques too! So what does that tell you?

7. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i want a vr turbo lol

8. prof Forum Addict

ABF in a light chassis is a nice fun thing to use, but needs a very different driving style to a turbo car.

9. Aphex Forum Junkie

I've always thought a well tuned abf/9a is perfect for a mk1/light car. Tuned 20vt seems to be a bit too much without spending alot of wonga on the rest of it.

10. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

I have one....

100% more fun than any 1.8T.......

11. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i have a 18T mk1 more fun than a lardy ass mk3 tbh

my mother inlaw has a auto mk3 told her ill set light to it one day to put it out its misery i find its like driving a big bowl of jelly

12. Admin Guest

VR6T states the obvious :-)

what made you choose Turbo over supercharging?

13. bens_cab Forum Junkie

turbo blows harder:lol: :lol:

vr6 charger sounds fun tho

14. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Sorry English is my second langauge...[:$]

15. Admin Guest

Well thats the thing, higher peak power from a Turbo but a totally different power delivery.

If you want it like its still a Naturally Aspirated car, but better, then supercharge it, but for instant high power, turbo it.

That said, had the VR6 been made right from the start it's have 300Bhp as standard and you wouldnt need to mess with it.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

again, not true. the power delivery does not have to totally change and it definately doesnt have to end up like a 20vt.

ive been in toyotec's turbod abf, ive seen the plots. it has a proper delivery just like any 16v, but just a helluva lot bigger, as youd expect due to the turbo.

but no, id not go down that route as its fwd at the end of the day so not worth it imo.

17. bens_cab Forum Junkie

18. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Take one lardy ar$e rallye throw away the hair dryer G60 and stick in a VRT and you a car that it should have been.... BTW my VRT Rallye is 1443 KG

The turbo option when i did the conversion gave more scope for big BHP figures..

I have to say the 1.8T can be made to deliver its power like the VRT if you map it that way, most generic maps you get from "revo, CC APR" are just bigger values of the original VAG mapping and its pants. You just need to have look at how many tables are in a standard 1/2 meg ME7 map to understand that there is a load of calculations being done to make the 1.8T tick... Moding them takes a load of skill and understanding of the interdependance between the measured values, not an easy task when you consider there over 600 software varations of the standard VAG 1.8T maps....

19. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

a 1.8T MK1 will always be a lot of fun, as for bringing an auto mk3 into it seems a bit pointless to me. Its like me saying I have an ABF MK3 - much more fun than a mk1, my mum has a 1.5 auto MK1 and its ****.... irrelivant!!! lol

hth

20. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i was just trying to say i dont think it matters weather it s avr6 or a auto mk3 they all pretty carp tbh in there standard state