Big, fat, stinking Mk3 Golfs

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by voteforpedro, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

one thing we have to appreciate (as always) is that some people have different preferences etc.

if you like diesel power delivery, get a 20vt, unless you do tons of work to them, they deliver like diesels.

like in the "whats your favourite golf" thread, everyone will say theirs because... they wouldnt have bought a mk3/4 if they really really prefered mk1/2s etc lol

the only one id swap mine for would be a caged and stripped mk2 (probably with a VR)

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

what, you mean 2.8 12v V6 engines that make 170bhp are not the way forward??

So do you reckon that VW has it sorted with this 1.4 twin charged idea then?

3. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

a 2.8 12v V6 that makes 170bhp realy isnt that impressive. i have a 1.8 with a turbo that gets well over 200bhp but still returns about 28-30mpg. the amount of fuel needed to feed the vr6 doesnt justify the amount of power it has imo.

and this nonsense about poor power delivery on a 20vt, my mk3 didnt even have power to deliver in the first place. my peak power is at 5300rpm and it pulls strong all the way up to it, how can that be a poor power delivery??

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

you only have to drive an S3 to realise how bland a 1.8T can be imo....

but then I drove a 225 TT that felt loads better? don't really get it, but if the S3 was my only experience then I wouldn't have a very good opinion of it at all

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

6. Dubmuffin Forum Member

:lol: you've declined to let us all know it actually weighs more than a MK3 then ;)? :lol:

7. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

With FWD cars, its all about set up for me.

I would rather have 220bhp with a decent torque curve and well set up car, than a 300bhp with no attention to chassis improvements.

I used to run a 260bhp fwd car and i spent cash on wheel alignment, corner weighting at the like and it felt so much more stable and rewarding to drive.

For serious power 4wd is the way forward.
    RWD is good for people who want to go sideways!
    Real drivers want 4wd.

For me i would not want a FWD VR6 would so prefer a 4 motion, ok so there is a weight penalty but so what? I would prefer something i can really "drive" rather than balls out power figures or for the sake of saying " i beat so and so up the strip"

If its good to drive thats the key thing for me.

*Just my viewpoint*

[:D]

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

only likely if he parks them both on the weighbridge at the same time. ;)

by the sound of elucidate's posts, he has weighed loads of them and they seem to come out at 1380kg haha

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

kind of agree with teddy ^^ but have you driven a V6 4motion?? four wheel drive is only good if it is done properly, which often it isn't and in a lot of cases FWD is as quick if not quicker.

RWD is not for going sideways unless your doing it wrong!!! F1 cars are RWD are they not? don't see them going sideways all that much

10. Aphex Forum Junkie

How much does your handbag weigh? :lol:

11. Admin Guest

I've only ever weighed a Audi, which according to internet, is lighter than a Mk4 Golf (believeable when you see them next to each other).

Teddy - If 4WD was the way forward, why is it that some of the best drivers cars, and also some of the fastest use RWD and not 4WD then?

Seperating the driven wheels from the steering wheels is a massive benefit, and something you dont get with anything except RWD.

Mind, again it depends on circumstances, for harsh roads/rally a 4WD will be faster every time, however on tarmac/race then there is no denying that RWD are faster.

12. Admin Guest

Exactly!

13. Dubmuffin Forum Member

lol, he told me! It either weighed the same or more as a MK3 :p so technically, more than the moon

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

4wd is for people who drive like coco the clown and need the extra safety to cover their incompetence, or if you have a car with horrendous power which 2wd just isnt going to put down to the ground.

fwd is just a plain compromise. i suppose its flaws can make it fun

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i think the problem with the weight of a mk3 is the space saver wheel!!! OMFG it is so heavy!!! no wonder its fat **** is reluctant to go round a corner!!! lol

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think its the hulking great turbo that weighs it down

17. AndrewF Forum Addict

Well, why don't you come down here and pick up all this mk2 junk thats in my garage and we'll go weigh both at same time?

18. AndrewF Forum Addict

Indeed.....my MR2 is very very hard to unstick.

For reference, F1 regulations don't allow 4wd.

Either way...real men drive RWD :lol:

Having said that, i have always enjoyed sport version pug 106's and 306's for the way you can steer them on the throttle so nicely.

19. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

306gti's lift off oversteer for fun!!!! i love them

20. ADriver01 Forum Member

Ah.. You see, I've never had the pleasure.