Big Red VR6' Track use update! Page 8 20/04/09

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RallyeVR6, Apr 6, 2008.

1. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Well, finally I have sorted a car.

After confirming myself on the CGTI 'ring trip I kinda needed and car and engine to get me over there and while I was there have a bit of fun with.

After searching for a bit I was initally after a blue one but in the end I was offered the shell of this Red once the owner, who's a friend and fellow CGTI-er, was finished with it.

[​IMG]

This weekend he was finished with it. As I said, I only got he shell so no wheels brakes, interior or engine that was in it. But part of teh deal was to keep the engine wiring in there, which is a bit of a result really as the previous engine was an ODB2 VR6....!

So, as I was putting a VR6 in, a VR6 Subframe was sourced, fitted to that was a pair of Mk3 4 Stud wishbones, hubs with new Bearings, flanges and Ball joints in.

[​IMG]

Then the next job to do would be fit the Steering Rack to the subframe, connect the steering rack to it and bolt the subframe onto the car. This was done prett easily. Getting teh collumn on was a bit fiddley as it alwasy is, but I have had worse, and the subframe lined up nice and easily.

[​IMG]

Thats all the pictures that were taken at the time.

But other work that was done yesterday included fitting the rear suspension, converting the rear from 5 stud back to 4 stud and fitting the front cross member and putting it back onto some wheels. The car is pretty much ready to recieve the engine.

Oh, talking of which..... The engine.

Currently being built up by my engine builder is a brand new 2.8 ODB2 VR6, with Schrick 268 cams with a lightened and balanaced Flywheel. Should be good for 210bhp upwards I'd have thought. Putting the power to the wheels is a VR6 gearbox with a 3.9 final drive for added acceleration but lowered top speed. A Diff has been ordered but thy are on back order from the states, but will hopefully getting one soon!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

\o/

3. Dicky Retardo Forum Member

4. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread title change!!

:lol:

5. Dicky Retardo Forum Member

you know's it!;)

6. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

nice, looking forward to seeing this if i make the trip!

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It looks mean as ****!! Do you know what wheels your going to put on it?

8. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Well, My inspiration for the look I'm going for is this car:

[​IMG]

Simple, yet a classicly OEM+ look.

So a nice set of BBS or BBS lookie likeys would go down a treat. But I'd be on the look out or a decent set of track wheels too. Whether I would paint the BBS wheels black like in the first pic, colour code them with the body or leave the silver is yet to be decided however.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  9. Jonny777 Forum Member

I wish you'd been able to buy it as it was.

That looks positively jizz worthy.

Good luck with the project though dude. :thumbup:

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Good work Nick -

"powered by BIG RED"

[​IMG]

(that FOUL tasting chewing gum,that you know where normally has strewn around the place)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  11. VR6Will Forum Member

too true gary!!

its proper rank....but thats another thread!

how was the test drive nick? lol!

12. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

Loud and lairy by the sounds of it...

From a mile away... :)

13. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Fast. [:D]

Hope my engine will be close to that.

Really might need that diff......

Those brakes wouldn't go a miss either. But I think Norman might miss them......:lol:

14. VR6Will Forum Member

well, going on his past efforts in getting the car on the road, i cant see him needing them that soon!

swap them with some 239 solids, and im sure he wouldnt even notice the difference!

15. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Well, On Sunday I have a few obs to get done.

1 - Fornt Calipers fit and Bleed brake system - Job to be done by Bluebadger
    2 - Engine Bay, Tidy wiring, wrap with new loom tape as required, give it a good clean before engine goes in. - Job to be done By Rigs
    3 - Fit Engine and maybe even get it running - Job to be done by Me.

I'll try and get some pics done of it as we go.

16. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

I'll help when the rallye runs out of fuel again... :)

17. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Well, Sunday is over and time to check the jobs list written on Friday:

1 - Front Calipers fit and Bleed brake system - Job to be done by Bluebadger
    2 - Engine Bay, Tidy wiring, wrap with new loom tape as required, give it a good clean before engine goes in. - Job to be done By Rigs
    3 - Fit Engine and maybe even get it running - Job to be done by Me.

First thing to do was Job number 2. Clean up the engine bay:

Job Completed by.......Me.

Push it outside with doner wheels on to allow it to Move:

[​IMG]

A bit of Karcher pressure washer degreeser and a pressure washer and it came up quite nicely:

[​IMG]

Also, the first of the Project advertising has crept into the picture. See if you can spot it. Its quite apt, and a bit subtle;) :lol:

[​IMG]

And then it was onto Job Number 1.

Completed by.......Me.

First things first needed to fit brake caliper carriers. Gave them a bit of a Clean and a bit of paint and bolted them on:

[​IMG]

Then it was onto fitting the calipers. Again a good clean down and then a spot of paint

[​IMG]

Fitting of Calipers:

[​IMG]

And Finally Job Number 3

Completed by.........Me

Found this small thing knocking about. [:D]

[​IMG]

Might not look much on the outside, but its nearly all brand new on the inside. Bored to 2.9, Pistons, Rings, Bearings, Chains guides etc etc. Block has been cleaned and painted but the rest is in need of some cleaning, polishing and painting. That will come later.....

Strapped up, lifted up and ready to go in...

[​IMG]

Went in nice and easy really no real issues. Had to do the old Chassis Mod from the crank wheel. Gave it a bit of primer and paint and it was time to throw the engine at the car. And here she is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once the engien was in and bolted to the car, the final two 90 degree turns of torquing of the head was required. Much easier to do that in the car than chase it round the floor!!

Exhaust Downpipe was fitted and bolted together, as were the drive shafts. While it was up in the air, teh back box was fitted to the car but need Exhuats rubbers for a perment finish.

It was then a case of starting to put the wiring that wraps itself around the engine in place and have a look at tiding teh wiring and holding in it place correctly. I have a feeling that at some piont I will end up opening up the whole loom and retaping in in the correct shape to get it perfect, but it'll do for now.

All in all a sucessful bit of work for the day.

Although somehow my hired help found other things to do One had some Rallye to mess about with, while the other took his gay Jetta front end off and refitted Golf headlights. Mind you, he did finally come and help and get the apprentices job......doing up the drive shafts. :lol: and did buy breakfast. The other helped get the caliper carries off the other car, and drive me to and from The Pharm. ;) :lol:

So now a weeks rest at my usual work and Next weekend should see a grand leap in the amount of work done/completed. I'm hopeing to have it finished by the end of the month, and tbh, theres not a great deal more required of it so fingers crossed.

Should be a bit of fun at the 'Ring trip in August :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  18. Seraph Banned

[​IMG]

Nice wheels + stance.

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice! No messing about one bit there Nick! Bought a week ago by the looks? And a VR already sat in it!

Did like those BBSs on it the first pic mind [:D] - wooh, looked Porsche racy tbh.

So where does the Rallye fit in - I'm confused! Is that Rig's now?

20. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

The BBS's that were on it I think were NormanCoals (who I got the car from) and were on there mainly I thinkbecause they looked quite feckin cool and to fit over the brakes that were on it. They do look very nice, but 17's on a Mk2 Vr6, it'll never go round corners you know ;) :lol:

Go my hands on the car on the 5th, as previous owner was finished with it as a shell and removed the engine for furture use elsewhere I believe. Left the wiring in for the engine I neeed to build.

Should be a nice quick build really. Engine now in, so its only the smaller bis left to work on.

The Rallye....Longish story.....

It was mine, it always was mine, it still feels like it is mine the amount of time I have had it, but technically, Rigs has put the money into it, and owns it. When we needed a new shell for the old Grandad Blue car (that was his) I also needed to move or get rid of the Rallye Shell I had on my drive way. The easy and simple route for everything was for Him to Have the Rallye Shell as the new project and I get to keep for my future project (I,E now this one) any of the bits we took off the old track car for my use. hence teh low FD gearbox 2WD ARB's and a few other bist and pieces.

As Chief Mechanic an spanner weilder, I also take on the mantle (and my life in my hands :lol: ) as chief Test driver. This (I hope) does mean I will get to borrow it and use it on track days etc but it is his. Unconfused?[:D] I hope so, cos I think I am confused now too....

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008