Big Red VR6' Track use update! Page 8 20/04/09

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RallyeVR6, Apr 6, 2008.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, understand now - well I guess you've built it together, and remember the Rallye shell had been doing nothing.

On Big Red, I think I've seen it before, but last seen with white ET20 Compos on it?

2. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

I'm confused...

I was in a particularly unproductive mood yesterday so adopted more of a managerial role - i.e. I wondered around looking lost and achieved very little... due in part to the afforementioned rallye catching car flu again.

At this rate BIG RED will beat it on to the tarmac! :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  3. NormanCoal Forum Member

Correct, but it did go through puberty and onto other wheels since you saw it last.....

4. 90GTIMK2 Forum Member

What kind of wheels n brakedisc do u get from? cause i definitly like them and pm'd me thanks cheers

5. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Hey!! [:x]

Thats my day job your mocking there.

:lol:

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

7. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Well, a very busy and very productive weekend from down on The Pharm.

We forgot to take a camera down with us on Saturday but basically I started off from where we finished last week. Engine had been finished and not much else, so I went from

This:
    [​IMG]

To:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine was all 100% together and turned over, and she fired up first time and idled ok and got upto temp quite well. However, it turned out to only on 5 cylinders. Hmmm poo. No exhaust was on it and the noise from it was hiding the fact that it wasn't on 6.

Soon figured out that cylinder 3 wasn't firing. Took the plug out and it looked brand new and wasn't wet from fuel etc. Looks like the injector had gone down. A quick check of the diagnostic and fault code on Cylinder 3 was injector short or open to ground. Checked the big plug on side of the head and it seemed ok. Well, we thought, either I have a wiring issue or the injector was FUBAR'd. So, off comes the inlet manifold and............oh bugger. Looks like I fogot to plug Cylinder 3 in. [:$] :lol: That'll be why its not firing then.

Put it all back together and she fires up and singing on 6. Lovely job![:D]

While the ramp was being used we couldn't do the exhaust and brakes etc, so Saturday evening we rolled it outside for better light and started work on the seats

[​IMG]

After a quick chat with a mate, I soon sourced some rather nice looking Mk4 GTI seats that would go in with only a bit of work.

[​IMG]

First the seat runners needed to be modded and moved in a bit. The width of the runners are wider on a Mk4 than on a mk2 so off they cam to be rewelded on further along. They will fit in the seat runners on the floorplan so now the front mounting piont was required.

Mr Grinder needed to come out and cut the front bracket off the cross member on the floor:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Then bracket was made that mounted up to the seat

[​IMG][/IMG]

Drill a couple of holes in it:

[​IMG]

and then after feeding the happy welding pixie on a mixture of coke, Chocolate, dohnuts and rice cripsy cakes, the braket was welded on:

[​IMG]

A bit of primer and red paint was added and:

[​IMG]

Then cut the carpets to fit round bracket.

[​IMG]

And that was the end of Saturday.

Sunday morning, Repeat on the other side, fit the seats and you have something that looks like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Add to my Mk4 Seats and my faux wood mk4 shifter, I have a Mk4 steering wheel on. Need the centre bit though.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Interior is near as damn it done, and the ramp free and easy the car went onto the ramp.

We then bred the blakes and Crutch. Or something along those lines. Brakes now working, but a little spongey will need a rebleed next week and clutch feels very nice.[:D]

A new set of wheels were put on. Something it will run with for a bit and fit over the 280mm brakes and it was onto the exhaust.

The Exhaust was the old unit I had on Rigs' old mk2. I know its not that loud for track days and the Vr6 sounds very nice through it. I needed to again awaken the happy welding pixie to make me the Cat bypass pipe and it was all mounted up.

Started the car and up and had it running. And it sounds loverly [:D]

I think the best way to describe it is via a Youtube vid. For a new engine it does get rev'd a bit [:$] but then it will see a race car hard run in to make sure its ready for the abuse I give it from the off :lol:

[YOUTUBE]YveFzmYqbOw[/YOUTUBE]

And there we just about have it.

A few bits to do. Front bumper needs to go on properly, Accelerater cable needs to go on, Headlight wiring needs sorting, a couple of ARB links to go on, Harnesses to go in and the Throttle body needs to be changed as its sticking a 4.8% throttle every now and then.

Once thats done I'll be driving her home, and onto the ring in August. Some pics of how we left it today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very close to being road worthy, and I am very happy with the results so far!

;) [:D]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I'll say it before some other clever little fecker does.

Your bumper is wonky Nick!!

Good work, hope it serves you well mate :))

Sounds evil.

9. GVK

Are you going to build a cold air feed for it, cone under the bumper jobbie?

10. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

yeah, bumper is only being held on by 2 bolts and its not clipped in on the side. Easy fix that should only take a few minutes to sort.

I'm very happy with it at the moment. Spitting flames and everything :p

Need to get it to a track day and then onto the ring I fancy!

It does sound evil [}:)] can't wait to hear it once run in and under full load.

Not sure at the moment. I am being talked into maybe running a corrado Airbox tbh. The Install looks more stock then which isa bit tempting.

I also has a good look around at the sort of thing youhave and that too has crossed my mind however, its a tad pricey, especially when I want/will need a diff. Would rather pay for a diff and suffer the heat soak for bit I think.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  11. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

looking good , sounds sweet too

12. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Forum Member

Sweet sound to my ears.

Also liking what you've done/doing to the interior. You dont mention the handbrake, a mk4 golf handbrake will bolt on in the same place as a mk2 one. Looks brill.

13. GVK

Nick, Could make one up using silicon tubing?

14. turbotommy Forum Member

Great work!!!!
    Why do i feel sad my 1.8t will NEVER sound anything like as good as that????

15. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I could do G, bit I hae having random Pipe knocking about the engine bay. Its usually right in the way of me trying to work on stuff. :lol:

Its ones of those things I'll look into more once its ready and on the road and driveable I think.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  16. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

OOooooh eeeeeeexcellent.

Drive she home next weekend then! [:D]

17. GVK

Shame that :p

They make make a mk2 'front heavy' they may not have a lot of power per litre, but by 'eck... they do sound great,the 12v VR6. :clap:

18. prof Forum Addict

that sounds amazing :thumbup:

19. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I love the sound of a VR6[:D]

Im guessing you need a MK3.5 cabriolet spline for the steering wheel unless you put a MK4 rack on it?[:s]

20. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

You'd have thought the spline would be dfferent to mk2 one wouldn't you. Tbh, I didn't think it would fit properly when I tried it, but on it went with no slack or anything. [:s] [:D] That's, as fair as I am aware, standard column and steering rack.

The sound of an angry VR6 it the best sounding 6 cylinder or less engine ever produced inho. I can't get enough of it tbh. And in a mk2 it makes for such an effortless cruiser with standard gearbox and in my biased opinion an awesome sprinter or track car with a lowered final drive.