Big Red VR6' Track use update! Page 8 20/04/09

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RallyeVR6, Apr 6, 2008.

1. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Well, That came back bloody Quick!

About to go take it for a test drive. I may be some time........;) :lol:

Is it though?

Has anyone really built a track VR6T and proved/disproved that theory or is it an assumed view?

Tbh, that was part of the reason I was doing it and have done it with the Rallye. Its not been done to my knowledge, bar that "Red Devil" mk3 thing and with the speeded up video's that are always shown, but I'm not 100% convinced by it, even though it flies by alot of exotic vehicles.

I am pretty confident that with the correct parts in the right places strengthen it (rod bolts, head studs good fueling etc) running it on fairly low boost (8 - 10psi) it would produce 300 - 350bhp be as reliable as you can expect a hard driven track car to be and be devastatingly quick.

But that will be for another day.........

Gary's car got 217bhp, with the same Chip, same profile cams but is a 2.8 on ODB2, so hopefully it will eek out a few more BHp with a slightly larger capacity.

But then my engine still only has done 4000 miles, so its still brand new and fairly tight. I'd expect it to release a few more bhp with use.

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Are you back from the test drive yet? How was it??

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Almost makes me tempted to plan a VR6 for this Ibiza instead. [:D]

4. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Well, tbh.....

Night and Day difference. [:D]

Now, obviously I went from a Lower comp engine, back to standard compression when I re did the HG so I expected there to be an improvement, but honestly, it feels like there is a 30 - 40 bhp difference between what it was at the start of the week and how it is now. But even against how it was this time last year (standard chip, standard comp) from memory it feels like a completely different engine to the one that took me (almost) to the Ring.

Theres power in 4th gear from 1000Rpm, starts freely nicely at 3k is really going at 4k with what feels like another kick at about 5k and pulls hard all the way to just before 7k. By which time I was scared and running out of [STRIKETHROUGH]road[/STRIKETHROUGH] runway:lol: Rev limiter is set, apparently, at 7200. There just feels like theres masses of torque through the whole rev range and it just sounds on song as soon as you jump on the pedal right up to it screaming at 7k. First impression was that the idle was smooth and steady even with the tweaked cams. Theres no smell of fuel ofover fueling etc and no knock that I could pick up on.

If I made claims of power it would PHP (Pub Horse power), but it certainly feels as quick if not quicker than Rigs' old Granddad Blue VR6 that iirc, had figures of 209bhp. With the spacer gasket in I was level to another VR that had ~180 bhp - so there at a guess would be a 30bhp difference - if I'm accurate with my guessing.

With the Diff in the car, 2nd gear coming of roundabouts is amazing, bordering on Savage. I thought these things understeer;) but honestly, I can plant my foot on the floor, and have to hold on for life as I'm dragged through the rest of the corner before pointing the wheels at the exit and I've ****ed off down the road. :lol: I've only felt similar in a turbo'd car, so the first time it happened it took me by surprise. [:$]

But enough of me prattling on like a school girl.

The bottom line is I now have a VR6 that goes as well as, if not better, than I ever remember them doing and I defiantly now have a car worthy of lapping the 'Ring :thumbup: Pleased as punch tbh and glad I decided to un-turbo prep it (for now). Just need to find a RR day and get some figures to my fun.

Its gonna be a Summer of NA fun.

I'm taking it for a long distance drive this evening, so I'll report back on fuel use on sensible driving as when being drive hard, its a bit thirsty and I was to afraid to look

Do it:lol:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  5. 1990

I'm loving the PHP figure.

Who are C2 then and is the chip a generic VR one or did they tweak it because of your cams?

6. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Obviously I have to be careful I don't come across as adverting C2, or daddy Mod will spank me. Or worse, Trev will pick me up on my grammar and speelling(sic).;) :lol:

But basically, from what I understand, they are a company that was mainly US based but have branched out over here with a UK team running it this side of the pond, predominantly with their FI products - They're who I have used to help with the Rallye Turbo project and been very impressed with the results using standard ECU's etc. Through our conversations I've known about them doing NA stuff as well so were an obvious choice for me. Especially after seeing GVK (as mentioned above) get very good figures on their stuff back in the summer.

As for if it was tweaked for my setting, when telling them about the car and my engine specs (odb2 2.9 with cams etc) it was explained that as its an air mass based system it doesn't matter too much what the spec is. As the ECU is seeing more air going in at a given rpm consequently the ECU knows more fuel is added.
    As I understand it, they have spent time perfecting the fueling and ignition within the ECU so that it is tailored towards pure power when you want it to be that way, while keeping it smooth and easy to use as an everyday car, whilst it still being an ECU upgrade chip that can be used on pretty much any engine regardless of Mods (or not) to improve power output

The drivability of it seems to be highlighted by the fact that driving to Didcot in oxford and back (92 odd mile) I did an average of 32mph in Friday Rush hour, while returning 29.8mpg indicated on the clocks - How accurate that is I don't know. Need to test that really. But at the times I wasn't in traffic, I wasn't hanging around, but then it wasn't flat foot gear changes everytime either.:lol:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Agree with Nick ramblings about the C2 chip, another good thing about it is, if in the future you decide to go Turbo, the ECU is already socketed so you just buy the relevant C2 VR6 turbo software to match whatever injectors you're looking at using.

One thing Nick hasn't mentioned is the C2 software eradicates the factory 155mph speed limiter in the VR6 ecu, not that you'd ever need it of course... Oh and if you have probs with the factory immobilser, C2 can bypass that also...

8. 1990

Dod you ever fit a mk4 back seat? Do you have a back seat at all?

9. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I never had any rear seats to fit nor have a i looked to find any. I have 3 piont harnesses in the car, with the anchor piont being the rear seat belt buckle mounting piont so even if I had them, that would make them pretty useless.

The car has been built many for Track use, but have got a bit carried away with blinging it up a bit when its not working/theres no track action coming up. Am hoping to use it more on track over the next couple of years now that I hope I have hopefully got a bit of realiability with it.

10. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I have bigger brakes. Woo

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  11. 1990

They look like 288mm 4 stud discs to me

12. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Certainly is. Don't see many of them ;) [:D]

13. GVK

Whats the crack then Nick?? Are they welded/ re-drilled ?

14. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

You` can`t just leave us guessing like this !! Tell us more. Please ?

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So got to be a 4-stud VAG rarity or off another 4x100 car?

16. GVK

I was thinking Vauxhall but I think the 288mm discs are 5 stud on those too.

17. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

No welding has gone into the disks. Just bought from an autofactors. You can kep guessing though, but its not vauxhall [:D]

tbh it took someone alot of time research and and a bit of money finding the disks, so at the moment its not my place to say what it is. Just that I have 288's on a 4stud :p

I like being annoying at times.:lol:

18. 1990

Rover.

19. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

20. gunit-84 Forum Member

early BMW? renault 21? fiat??

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009