Big Red VR6' Track use update! Page 8 20/04/09

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RallyeVR6, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

FFS. Its another TSR 16v "Thing" :lol: Its only a set of brake discs for flying ****tards.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

It may only be a set of disks, but it allows you to run a caliper with a big piston and pads with a much larger surface area. [:D]

I like my Thing.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just help people then. :) Or don't bother posting it. Reminds me of the idiots with secret intercoolers for Mk1 20vs when it was just a Landy Defender Tds jobby.

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

You wouldn't catch Deako keeping secrets:lol: ;)

5. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

:thumbup:

I posted the pictures to prove that 288mm on a VW 4 stud is more than possible, and can fit under 15's with 5mm spacers. Whilst I do like the share-and-share-alike philosophy, its not my place to spill someone elses secrets after the time that person put in. If I did, I would regard that as a hit against my own integrity. Those that know the rascal that helped me put the disks on and are interested can contact him and get the info/disks for themselves.

I didn't develop this,so it isn't my place to tell everyone. If it was, I am sure there are plenty of people out there willing to testify that I am more than helpful with tips, ideas and parts:thumbup:

Well, if people can't be bothered to do there own research before starting a major project, thats up to them. And besides, I always thought it was a Merc Sprinter jobby.;) :lol:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Nick.

You are annoying.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Cheap jibe - that was a soon-to-be-revealed car purchase :thumbup:

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

F*ck 4 stud, 288's are **** anyway, I set fire to mine in 3 laps of donny.

9. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

to be fair...

If I had spent time working it out, then shared the info with a good mate, I'd be pretty annoyed if he told the world without checking with me first.

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

why??? were not all about to go to a show and compete for some prize? fair do's its not his info to give out, but i can't understand why his mate would care. The day's of 'one upmanship' modding are over arn't they?

especially as you can go buy a brembo/ap kit and have better brakes anyway.... (not taking anything away from 288's, it what wer'e using after all)

11. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Exactly.

Especially consdering that person helped me carry out the work in posts: 1, 17, 27, 60, 76, 91, 104 and 114 in this thread alone.....basically any time where I have had to take the car apart or put together has been with that persons considerable help or advice. The car would certainly not be in a position to be driven without that help.

It would be wise, with my track record, to not annoy him.:lol:

12. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I just wouldn't have a clue on what there off, i'm sure if i had ehough time i could flick though the LUCAS book of brakes all night and work them out!

I'd rather not, I also like to keep somethings close to my chest[:$] :lol:
    you don't chase mine, I won't chase yours !
    fair play there on, I also have to run 3mm spacers on my 280's with same wheels

13. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

Cracking build this one, nice to see that someone has finally proved that 288 brakes are possible in 4*100, well done. Car is looking and sounding awesome by the way, keep up the good work :thumbup: .

On a side note just to join in the banter about what the discs may be, im going to guess lotus elise s2, did some research into this previously myself and it was the only 4*100 disc in 288mm diameter i could find although i never got around to trying it out.

14. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I don`t understand the reluctance to share the info [:s]

I`ve shared all the mods/guides I used/made on my car so that hopefully someone else will benefit, thats what I like about this forum, people share the info they`ve found to benefit themselves and others.

What do you gain by keeping the car these are from to yourself ?

Doesn`t feel right to me.:thumbd:

15. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Tbh, not repeating myself over and over. I was asked not to tell anyone exactly what brakes I have on my car, so out of respect from him I didn't.

Pics now gone

288's on 4 Stud still on my car.

:thumbup:

I'm MORE than happy to share first hand information about my car, what I have done, how I have done it and why. Read through this thread and you will see.

I won't pass on second hand info, that I was specifically asked not to pass on.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  16. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Cheers Jimmy! Nice to know people arestillenjoying my thread [:D]

17. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I think this pic is a cracker!!
    [​IMG]

18. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Its not a bad pic that one is is Ian?

Full size pic can be found here:

http://www.3rd-dimension.com/Gallery/GetImage.aspx?ID=b9b75605-1e61-4706-85f2-8238fcb2d77a

It was taken by Phatass with his funky camera. He is also doing the CGTI Trackday Tour Photography stuff.

Incidently, the reason why I am so fair ahead in that pic is due to the MK4 messing up the start really badly, and he sort of gave up. There wasn't that much difference between the cars.

The last race we had he had me off the line, but I just managed to cross the line ahead, by about 0.1 of a sec or something.

19. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Done a couple of bits on the car again today with the help of Phatass. On a weeks holiday from work so trying to get a few important bits and pieces done before the Ring trip.

Removed the Ash tray and relocated the stereo in there and mounted some gauges (oil pressure and temp) in the gaps when the stereo came out. Sorry for the dodgy pic, but It looks ok I think.

[​IMG]

Fitting it can be found inPhat ass' thread as he has done the same thing with his:

Tomorrows job will be to (finally) secure the rad properly, and mount a 13 row oil cooler to keep a check on temps.

More pics to come tomorrow :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  20. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Been busy using the car in the manner it was built to be driven!

First there was the CGTI Ring trip:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there was Curby on the 5th September

Vids can be found here:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1778065#post1778065

I also had a track session at Silverstone on the 6th September. Vids to follow soon.

Really getting to grips with the car and its charateristics the more I drive it, and I can;t wait till the end of year track day to give it a day of death [:D]