Bmw E30 M3 Throttle Bodies

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Brookster, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Cars, especially when they're not pure competition cars, tend to spend a lot of time at light throttle openings and need fine control at small openings.

Bike throttles tend to get opened more quickly, and are controlled by the hand rather than foot, which lends itself to easier fine tune control, even though the throttle itself opens at a sharper angle.

2. Admin Guest

The resting angle of bike itbs is greater so small openings let in more air than car specific itbs.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Agreed, and I think the rate of opening is faster as well.

4. Admin Guest

The cams for the accelerator cable are eccentric to increase small throttle inputs, nothing that cannot be dialled out with new cam or acceraltor cable position on pedal.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Come on Paul..200 GS bhp can't be that far away. The throttles will help big time, all else being equal :thumbup:

Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Ally coolant flange posted this morning, Paul

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Got a couple of sets of pulsar TB's spare. (rally car spares) Last set I sold for 100 quid, so you are right about them being cheap. Interesting thread, that manifold looks labour intensive, but nice job. Following this to its conclusion...

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Knowing Paul's usual approach, Jon, this'll be an exercise in home-brew, using 2nd hand bits low cost mods done himself or by skilled mates in sheds and garages, resulting in great bang for the bucks spent. Look forward to the results with interest!

9. TrackCab16v Forum Member

thanks mike :thumbup:

cheers eddie , :thumbup: the guy who is supplying me the illumination managment is a bit slow in coming forward with his part of the deal , tbh eddie so i am sure it will happen but it may take some time , so got a intermediate plan to keep things moving ,will give you a ring about it shortly
    my son kev has made good progress with his nissan throttle boddie set up too , very suprised how dam good they actually are.
    buy the way is ther any way of getting to streamline without hitting the zone ban thingy if i come up with a trailor ,as my van doesn,t comply with
    the london emmission zone .

hi jon
    spent all my spare xmas holiday time , porting , triming and fileing , then spent all my xmas present money from my kids on welding up all the holes that i cut every wher , but i am pleased with the way its coming to gether ,but it is taking a while .;)

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

i'm sure I'm not the only one wishing you well. BTW is your son interested in posting his progress?, I'm sure there would be some interested followers

11. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the answers to my question above guys , I didn't know that . My Gixer ones are on a standard circular"cam" , which isn't a cam at all when I think about it! lol! So it opens in a linear fashion . Also it's not a very powerful car , so small throttle openings wouldn't make it jump about . Good to know though for future reference , I had planned a bigger set on a 2.0 16v.

12. Admin Guest

If its the standard Gixer part then it will not be a circle if you look closely, it will alter rate at which the butterfly opens through the tp. Post a pic if you can.

13. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I cocked up , Assumption being the mother of all f**k ups... and looked closely , as directed.. nad you are right!

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

That's what forums are for - sharing the knowledge so we all end up knowing more [:D]

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

NN14 SR20DET throttles are well engineered yes. As you would expect, they are similar RB26DETT jobs which I calibrate regularly. I have access to components like that , however the 20v 4AGE ( 'silver'/'black' top) jobs were plentiful in certain parts of the world and in my case cost not a lot. In your case E30 jobs will do the trick, no problem. Should a significant impact on the torque shape of your current spec, to encourage cylinder filling and push it beyond 200bhp @ 7000 rpm at Garage Streamline.

Give me a call when you are ready and I can work out a test plan. May even arrange another 'clinic' day to get a few other baselines in. :thumbup:

16. TrackCab16v Forum Member

this is the arear ive been try ing to work on , efficent unobstructed cylinda fill , along with clear exhaust path outwards , spent a silly amount of time working on these arears , matching all componants and easing out air paths carefully,
    eddie , do you think the e30 injectors will flow sufficent , next step to work out what injectors , spray pattern ,
    climbing closer to efi , slowly buy surely.

don,t for get edd , k jet not being disconnected untill it cracks the 200 on streamlines dyno :thumbup:

think i am gona give myself a goal and get cab ready for feb , so should be with you shortly . cheers paul

17. TrackCab16v Forum Member

hi jon

if i can peel him off his girl and bribe him off the football pitch i will get him to sort some photoes out, in fairness he made the manifold him self and its turned out real well to

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

Bucket of cold water should do the trick ;) So is your lad also your tame Ally Welder? Handy if he is.

What's this footy nonsense. I thought you were all egg chasers down your way?!

19. TrackCab16v Forum Member

i dont think his mrs would be to happy if i don that to them at ther house lol lol lol .he plays footie in the local leage .

he,s got a real nice mk1 2l16v, mike ,,,.built and done the engine conversion him self , produced 190 odd brake on old tsr rollers in it hey day .

produced the manifold from 2 lazer cut flanges , bought straight off egay one side 16v other side nissan and some 50 mm mild steel tube , a heat and sqeeze in the vice to shape and lenth , i tack welded it and he then took it to a welder to be finished off , cleaned it up job done . :thumbup: