Budget tyres should be banned

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by PhatVR6, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

That's funny because I've ran them for years and NEVER had a problem with them.

My car's brilliant in the wet, and they are the best tyre out there if you do the sort of mileage I do and don't like shelling out 's on tyres all the time.

Worst tyres I ever had were Kwik-fit's own brand on a big ol' Passat GL5. No grip, wore fast.

Best cheap tyres I had were Kumho's (I think). They were surprisingly good considering they cost buttons...

2. Collie Forum Junkie

it always suprises me that people will spend loads of money making a car more powerful but will scrimp when it comes to the most important part of the car.

The only contact you have with the road is through 4 small patches of rubber on the road.

I have my golf which is shod with michelin always. and i have a shed for going to work, even that is shod with michelins. in fact the tyres cost more than the value of the car.

3. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

No its all about physics and you are exactly right.;)

4. MrDubmeister Forum Member

Northampton in a village in the middle of nowhere
    I use toyo T1r's on my 8v mk2 and tbh there a good tyre. The only down side is i find they wear a little on the fast side and when they hit a certain point they spin up very easy. But grip in dry is excellent and wet is just as good. :)

5. Seraph Banned

I meant the branding means nothing to those on the poverty line who simply want a barely legal car.

6. Claypole Forum Junkie

That was my thought as I drifted towards the pavement the other day, they are in good condition with loads of tread so I didn't rush out to replace them with F1's but for some reason the car just handles like crap on the P6000's. [xx(]

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

Yeah, i thought that as i did a one handed powerslide in the mr.2 the other day......tbh tho great tyre overall and it was my fault for being slightly OTT with my throttle application!:lol:

8. squibby Forum Member

It's your car, not the tyres. P6000's are one of the best budget all rounders on the market. which mark polo is it? if it's a mk2-3 it is inherently crap handling. Mk4 4 onwards are pretty average.

9. mark25 Forum Junkie

A lot of the problem is the temperature. A lot of tyre manufacturers have increased the summer grip on their tyres (to win tyre tests) at the expense of cold grip. This is why winter tyres are becoming much more popular, below 7oC they're better. The cold performance of newer types has fallen off nearly as much as the warm performance has improved, over old skool typres.

10. salsheikh Forum Member

i got cheapy silverline tyres and then some kumho's on the alloys halfrauds provided me and both were shiiiiite in the wet, i could take a roundabout at any more than 10mph. even now when its slightly misty in the morning i have to drive very carefully. good quality tyres are a must.

11. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I've noticed that if I wear one Nike trainer & one Hi-Tec trainer I end up running in circles & if it's raining I have to hop!
    I'm sorry but I think you're all being narrow minded, obviously there are some dodgy quality tyres around but to say anything that isn't a premium brand must be dangerous is nonesense, as independant tests prove.
    I clearly don't possess the superhuman driving skills that you all must have as TBH I can't tell any difference whatsoever between the Falkens that are now on my car & the Michelins that they replaced.

12. squibby Forum Member

Hey!!! i used to wear Hi-techs[:$]

Didn't dunlop used to make trainers?

13. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Yeah they were ok on a dry tennis court but I tried taking a corner at 3mph on a wet pavement & skidded into a lampost, wouldn't have happened with Nikes[:D]

14. AndrewF Forum Addict

Slight diffence between walking/running speed, and driving at upto 70mph...the potential consequences are quite a bit more severe.

Besides, i don't think anyone is necessarily claiming that a cheap tyre can never be any good.....just that it appears a rare occurance.

15. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I know that I keep on about it, but the Autoexpress test put budget brands 1st & 3rd, the other budget ones did not come out significantly worse than the premium brands.
    There has been a lot of anecdotal evidence on here saying that budget tyres are dangerous but I'd be more inclined to believe an independant test which actually measured stopping distances & cornering speeds.

16. G-Man Forum Junkie

Right i've been doing some tyre shopping and he's the prices I can get for my 195/45/15's fitted:

Budget/Steel/unbranded economy: 40
    BF Goodrich G Profiler: 48
    Uniroyal Rainsports: 52
    Eagle F1's: 58
    Toyo's: 60
    Michelin Exato Pilot 2: 77

Eagle F1's can be had for 58 which are supposidly test winners and recommended on a lot of forums but its 20 a corner extra for Michelin??

Only budget tyres i'd go for are the one's i know family and friends have used such as Wangkang and Wanli as they weren't amazing but you can do a lot worse for the money!

As for the shoes.....Dunlop made plimpsoles! :lol:[:$]

Hi-tec shoes: I had some silver-shadows until some fat teacher at shoe used them :lol:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  17. AndrewF Forum Addict

I'd go for the uni's out that lot.....though worth mentioning i've never tried eagles, was just so impressed by the uni's i'd go for known quantity (that was on a mk3 vr6 by the way, also use toyo's on my mr2 as only half decent tyres you can get for it)

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I haven't had a huge variety of tyres, but the F1's are the best tyre I've used by a massive margin. Especially in the wet.

19. Raider Forum Member

I ran Michelin Pilots cant remember which kind on My MK2 and they were shocking TBH... and worn really really quickly probably less than 7k miles out of them.

My Mercedes came with Pilot Primacys when I bought it and I could'nt really reccommend them any higher... Lasted ages plenty of grip stability etc and that car did nearly 80kmiles in 12 months probably 5-6 months on the Michelins. Swapped them with BF Goodrich profilers as I got a belting price due to working with Tyres and they were just as good as the Pilots they replaced but 35 cheaper each.

BF Goodrich was/is Michelin owned aswell.. I'll be going for Goodrich again when I get my rims refurbd for my MK2.

20. Mat-R Forum Member

Whenever I have this conversation with a pal of mine, he'll be quick to remind me of the "Street Turbos'" that he had on the back of his 1.6 Sierra. (a long time ago)
    You know that you're in trouble when the tyres are incapable of a simple hill start!