Bye Bye CGTI. . .

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by GT-Dub, Jan 11, 2005.

1. GT-Dub Forum Member

I suppose it boils down to if you really do hate a car for its looks which i am probably to long in the tooth for and left that behind in the early/mid 90's.

Badges and stereo types mean nothing to me as i am not that petty tbh, i built the car because of the per fun factor is far greater and the nova is an ideal base project for a good track and all round car, although i respect any car that is built to a suitable standard with performance in mind with subtle sleeper quality's.

I suppose that defines a petrolhead from the general car make forum hatred that unfortunatly is around at the moment (and that isnt a biased comment as any forum has the same problems, its just something that is unfortunatley getting more common as people are judged on what they drive more so than ever)

I better leave it at that, and let gt-dub have his username back :lol:

Cheers

Dan

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

who gives a solid gold fuck if this guy wants a nova? [:s]

we aint gonna stop people buying em and turning em into what they want!

weather that be a chavved up pile a shit or a subtle t/bodied xe conversion.

ive been watching the vaux/opel forums a while now(looking for a manta) and i have noticed that they seem to be going for the smooth subtle look more and more.
    :clap:

i used to have a nova,first car ;) :lol:
    theres just a chav stigma with them...
    dont personally think there the best looking motor but as said,you could go for one and have good/cheap/reliable power in a pretty nimble shell. :)

neil (drinking after a shit day btw [:x] )

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

also another thing ive noticed...

when ever i go to watch club rallying,theres plenty quick nova's,corsa's etc but never a mk1!?!

wtf is that all about??? [:s]

4. b'locks Forum Addict

Respect to the Nova in the snow - THE best looking (and with the engine to match) Nova I have ever seen. :thumbup:

Funny how the ignorant mk2 posse have suddenly gone quiet.... :lol:

5. broken-halfshaf Forum Member

Thats just down the road from me :lol:

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Shut up you !:lol:

I actually don't mind a subtly modded Nova, my cousin's boss had one of the 1st 1800 8v Novas that looked just like an early SR built by Carquip back in the 80s, my brother had a GTE that went pretty well.

It's just these chavved up sheds I can't stand! [:x]

That'll be Infinitys car [:D]
    Edited by: G_V_K

7. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

i wanted a nova as a first car( till i found the light and come here ) novas like this
    [​IMG]
    look wicked IMHO the speedline rims set the whole car off.
    if i were to ever own a nova it would have to look like that, keep it looking standard is always the best way to go
    Edited by: wbr

8. GVK

We had a similar looking Nova GSI in at work a couple of weeks back, the owner had tried drilling a broken spark plug out [xx(] We put a new head on it... Had the 16" Speedline wheels on but it was that fecking low, if you turned in the lock and hit a bump it bent the wing [8(] :lol: :lol:
    Edited by: G_V_K

9. b'locks Forum Addict

:lol: :p ;)

10. GVK

Ahh f*ck it, I should'nt have edited gaylord from that sentence :lol: ;) :lol:

11. b'locks Forum Addict

12. keithrobinson New Member

Cheers for that!

Its just finishing a 2 year rebuild, awaiting some coilovers, strut brace, then MOT, Tax & Insurance. Ready for this season's shows and track days. Engine is roughly 110bhp (awaiting RR session) (standard 69bhp)

Been into golf's for years, and prefer to Read VW mag's to any other, as i find them better produced with less chav car's. A mate of mine has a gorgeous 8v GTI Mk2, in gunmetal! Lovely cars!

13. hayesey Forum Junkie

Fair play Gaz, I can see why you're doing it. As some others said you'll struggle to get a cheaper to run rally car.

I've got nothing against a nicely done Nova, they have a very bad reputation but to be honest I think that will fade in the next few years. I don't see many of them about any more as they don't age too well & it's getting to the point where they need too much work doing for your average chav. It's far easier for them to get a mid-1990s Corsa or Saxo nowadays.

14. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

awwwwwwwwwwww............

inter-forum group hug! :hug: :lol:

15. Red_TN Forum Member

No i didnt :p :p I was having a civil converation with keith [:D] [:D] As i know what people do with these, as we have about 3 on the site running some serious power!! And only 1 has a huge bodykit on and shopping trolley handle [:x] but has 300bhp to back it up!

16. GT-Dub Forum Member

Well cheer's for the input Guy's n Gal's... In honesty i'm yet to see a mk1 or even a mk2 golf Run within the Road rally crew's and come out on top.

I've been a member of a certain nova website for some years, Since I was about 18 in fact, and know half the people pretty well.

I'm sure the Nova will be prove its self over time but
    I personally can't wait to get it, and get back into road rallies.
    Stuff the image and stereotype I'm sure half the Chav's will wonder why my nova has a cage, seats and big floppy mud flaps along with a set of Huge Front fog light's.

Edited by: GT-Dub

17. Red_TN Forum Member

Im sure the chavs will move over even more to corsaks now as they are so cheap, and maybe even leave the nova alone abit more.

Then again..... :lol: :lol:

18. Chris H Forum Junkie

:thumbup:

19. superden Forum Addict

[:D] :clap: :thumbup:

20. DarrenW Forum Junkie

That blue Nova is very tasty... At the end of the day, they're a good looking car IMO. Neat proportions and nice arches (quattro-esque!).

I don't know why you don't get the same amount of parts for Mk1s and 2s (Riley?), the back of the Motorsport News is full every week of companies selling rally bits for Novas/Corsas. I guess because there used to be a one-make challenge for them or something? Same as for the 205GTI... The Golf is always a poor relation when it comes to motorsport. I've seen more than a few tasty Mk1 and Mk2 Golfs out road rallying though.

Round here no-one has Novas anymore, they're all driving Saxos and Puntos for some reason... I doubt the Nova will ever shake off it's boy-racer image, but the stage-rally boys don't care about that - they just want a car you can get lots of bits for, is a good base for a rally car and is cheap. Sounds fair enough to me!

[​IMG]