cam question

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mat, Aug 3, 2005.

1. MAT

mat Forum Member

going to put a new cam in my mk2 1.8 GL

just wondering if it is a interferecnce one or not

cos richgit is going on bout if u get the timing wrong the pistons might hit the valves.

is this true? and also can anyone talk me through getting all the timeing right and stuff. ive never done it before.

tah :)

2. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

you got a haynes?

just reset it all when you change the cam, thats what i did,

thought you had recently changed the cam belt? just the same as timing it up after that,

tim

3. t_r_d Forum Member

come on mat weve been through this once today already ;)

non interferance engine, line the crankshaft pulley groove with the intermediate shaft dot, and make sure the camshaft pulley dot is inline with the top face of the head(pointing towards front of the engine bay).

4. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

turn the disty to line them up ;)as you cant get to one of the pullys, i believe the reset point is about 10 past oclock, could be wrong?!

tim

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Depends on the cam I think, the std 8v GTI cam is non interferance definitly.
    But I've heard that really lairy cams can change that? Nothing to back that up with though so you can probably ignore that last bit :lol:

6. t_r_d Forum Member

i sold him my old gti cam today, so its non interferance.

7. MAT

mat Forum Member

ok its in, runs like a pooter but after bloody 8 hours its in, the car wouldnt start and it took ages to get the points lined up,

i played with the dizzy a bit to get it idling better cos it was just stalling, now i guess its a case of asjusting the weber a bit, just needed to get it working enough so i can get to work tommorow, hardly accelerates though!!! [:^(]

i get a bit of a tapping noice now though lol. anyone??

cheers

8. MAT

mat Forum Member

i also adjusted the dizzy and used a flasher unit to get the arrow marks lined up on the belt.

still runs like poo though lol. but im sure thats just the weber settings

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

8 hours :lol: [:$]

Shouldnt have made a vast difference so it wouldnt idle properly or required the dizzy moving TBH..

Did you fit new tappets?? Your problem wont be the Weber IMHO....more likely you've timed something up wrong.. ;)

10. MAT

mat Forum Member

all the timing marks are perfect, deffinetly,

when i started it and it wasnt idling properly i started adjust the weber before i even touched the dizzy. so now i have got the dizzy back roughly where it should be the weber is all over the place!!

no i didnt put new tappets in, sumone told me u adjust them so they touch the cams or sumthing to stop the clicking.

at 10 i decided lets just fukcing get it running so i can get to work tommorow, it drives ok but it doesnt accelerate properly, foot to the floor to get up a hill etc.

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

Wont be the weber, it'll run jus fine as it was with the new cam

The timing must be out justa tooth can make all the difference!

12. rubjonny

Make sure you lined the mark up on the back of the camshaft with the top of the head, not the rocker cover when the engine is at TDC @ piston1.

Easiest way to do it is to turn the engine over by hand with #1 sparky removed shining a torch down the hole till u see the piston appear at the top of its travel.

Then make sure the rotor arm is pointing to sthe notch on the dizzy (spark plug lead #1) This is the mistake I made, I forgot that the intermediate shaft can easily turn when you mess about with the timing belt. Mine ran like a sack of cack till I sorted it :)

13. MAT

mat Forum Member

ye i got the mark on the back of the cam shaft inline with the top of the head, then the flywheel one lined up, and all the other ones that haynes said around the cam belt.

will it be alright running it to work while it runs like cack, if i take it easy, or will i do damage? [:s]

14. rubjonny

Check the dizzt is pointing to sparkie wire #1 at TDC @ piston 1, cos some silly fecker might have put the dizzie on 180 degrees out ;)

15. chrismc Forum Junkie

Depends on what you have adjusted on the Weber? What do you mean it wasnt idling "properly"...Slow/Fast Lumpy???

The cam swap shouldnt require any big changes to the Weber or timing ;)

16. MAT

mat Forum Member

it was idling where if i didnt give it a bit of revs with the accelerator pedal it was stalling

17. rubjonny

Thats what I had when my dizzy was out by several teeth, but much worse it would only idle with me foot to the floor and still very rough.

18. MAT

mat Forum Member

right its running amazing now [:D] , I got it all timed and perfect today and the weber was out so needed adjusting along with the dizzy, took a bit of adjusting driving round town, adjusting driving back round again lol

dunno if its worth getting bigger jets to make it run even better?? ive been told by a few people its wise for the top end
    Edited by: mat

19. FABVR6 Forum Member

IT IS ONLY A 8V PMSL lol

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

And your point is? A Hillman Imp is only an 875cc 8v, and they were rather popular for tuning. Come to think of it, wasn't there some kind of car called a "Mini" or something? :clap: