Can you tow a car without tax, MOT, insurance?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by voteforpedro, Aug 3, 2007.

1. squibby Forum Member

Placing someone in unnecesary danger in this scenario. I would indeed have something to say if a copper pulled me over on the very few occasions I have towed just to check if we had TAX or MOT on the towed vehicle. I'm sure I would still be busted though.

2. squibby Forum Member

The fines probably cheaper. Besides we all pay car tax so it's not a case of 'you pay tax but I don't pay mine'.

I'm just suprised someone is asking the question in this thread (unless they are going to tow long distance.) It never even crossed my mind when I had to tow a friends SORNED vehicle from home to work. common sense has to be applied by the police at times and I'm sure they do it very well. But our forums native copper who said he always stops towed cars sounded like a chuffer in that post. His posts are usually really good and restores respect for coppers normally.

3. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

F***KING PARDON, how on earth to you come to that conclusion, if your car is not legal, why shouldn't you get stopped. What happens when the towed car is involved in accident where it hit some poor sods car.

Yes I won't go back on my earlier post, the reason why I stop them, is
    A. You will always get some idiot trying to chance their arm, thinking they are above the law.
    B. Road safety, think about that one, even an idiot should get that one.
    C. Also if you are going to draw attention to yourself expect to be stopped.

Do you think you are the exception to the rule, having tax, MOT, Insurance, driving licence is the law, get used to it, if you break it expect to be stopped, anyway don't **** any person, or profession you know nothing about, or have any rspect for.

This backed up going by some of you statements especially in responce to Paul's comments, who even though not a cop knows a lot more than you.

Common sense yes, that's why regardless the distance you are going to tow a car, it has to be legal, that my friend is COMMON SENSE. If a disqualified driver even drives 1 foot, he's guilty. As soon as you take a motor vehicle on the road it must be legal PERIOD, regardless of distance travelled.

Please again explain why you think I am a SPAZ, and a CHUFFER, for merely doing my job. Again I ain't going to resort to name calling, but I guess you know what I'm thinking.

Also can you please explain without the name calling where my previous post is different from any others.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  4. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I've tried to explain police "discretion" on another post, with little success.
    If the Police were to allow people to tow untaxed & MOT's vehicles on the road there will always be some muppett who takes the p**s & tows a total wreck with no brakes or steering which wipes out a bus full of kids.
    If they lat car A off because it only has one bald tyre they then have let off the driver of car B with two bald tyres. this would carry on until you arrive at a totally unroadworthy wreck killing a child, whose parents would, quite rightly, want to know why the Police allowed it on the road.
    The line has to be drawn somewhere.

5. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Exactly:clap: :clap:

All officers have descretion, some more than others, that is the main reason schemes like The Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme was introduced, one of the reasons being to be fairer to the motorist.

But the main laws regarding using a vehicle on the road ie driving licence, insurance, mot, and excise licence, won't and shouldn't be ignored, thus if you break any of these laws expect to be stopped and reported.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  6. inoakgreen Forum Member

its probably more cost effective hiring a trailer/tow car than face the consequences of what the police would do - you'd be at their descretion if you risked it!! and thats just it - YOUR RISKING IT!!! so if a copper pulls you, you've only yourself to blame!!!!

7. g60notter Forum Member

by a fat girl ?:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. squibby Forum Member

You can and will I'm sure continue to stop every car being towed that you see.

I can and will continue to tow cars I deem worthy on short trips when I have too.

If I get stopped while towing I will still be very annoyed and view you as a jobsworth. Get over it!

There, we both called names and had a swear. strong difference of opinion here. end of.

9. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Problem is that yours is wrong & Jetta's is the one that has the basis of law behind it.
    Sorry

10. paul_c Forum Member

Are you actually claiming to be some kind of car enthusiast, or are you merely a scrap merchant, towing worthless junk from one yard to another, on the edge of the law? Are you a licenced scrappie?

11. squibby Forum Member

Thinking of the situation I have had (or more likely chosen) to tow, probably common to many on the forum. Towing a car that has been sorned off the road for a few months that I have just bought back to base for repairs to get it back on the road. The lights and brakes work and I use a tow bar and hang a sign in the back.

12. Kroney Forum Member

SO the question is, what is the legal way of moving an untaxed car without MOT and possibly SORN from one place to another.

Cars get bought and sold without tax and MOT all the time. There must be a legal way of doing it.

13. paul_c Forum Member

A car needs tax and MoT to be on the public road on its own wheels. If you have trade plates, you can fit them in lieu of tax. There's a couple of exemptions for MoT too, for example driving to a pre-arranged MoT test.

So if you bought a car from a dealer, without MoT, you could borrow their trade plates and drive it directly to the garage which does the MoT.

The other legal ways involve a car transporter or trailer.

14. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Jobsworth, I think not, believe it or not that's the first time I've ever been called that, although had a lot worse, anyway do you know me personally, I think not, again quit the ****ging, it really is beneath you, as the saying goes sticks and stones.

Get over what then, you breaking the law, me stopping you, I really think you are the one who needs to get over it, as has been said before if you can't take the punishment, don't do the crime.

Why is it you people like yourself always moan about getting stopped when they are openly breaking the law, I really think you are the one who needs to get over it.

On another note, good accurate info Paul cheers, but don't you just hate it, when you give accurate info, and you still get persons refusing to accept it.

Anyway as has been said END OF>

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Just wondering, are there any actual guide lines on the net by the men in power if you are towing a car legaly?

16. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

I think you'd have to meet one proper power trip arsehole of a police officer to get anything more than a slapped wrist towing an illegal car a few miles...

17. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Give me a good lawful reason, why you shouldn't get done, for breaking laws like this, also bear in mind under the Sec 165 RTA 1988, if the vehicle has no insurance, it can and will get seized.

Oh by the way sticks and stones again.

18. paul_c Forum Member

Of course its really difficult, and brave, to insult the Police by typing things onto your keyboard on the internet. Apparently the Police are quite familiar with dirty criminals who aren't too keen on their taking action, possibly using force, violence etc against them. So your keyboard typing is really brave. I'd like to see what you do when you're stopped by the roadside after having quite clearly broken the law for something!!!!

19. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Let's try to put this in context.

A car with no MOT, two bald tyres & knackered fron shocks is being towed a mile, to a mate's garage for repair. PC Plod stops the car & the driver explains what is happening & assures the Officer that he will proceed with caution. PC Plod uses his discretion & allows the journey to continue. Half a mile later, it starts raining, the tow rope snaps & the car goes out of control, mounts the pavement & wipes out a baby in a pram.
    Forgetting all about the legal/disciplinary aspect how would YOU fell if you were the Police Officer that had used his discretion & allowed the journey to continue?

20. squibby Forum Member

That situation would be a very very poor use of discretion though...

for that I would probably jump off a bridge.