Can you tow a car without tax, MOT, insurance?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by voteforpedro, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Yes maybe, but where would you draw the line?

2. squibby Forum Member

Hard to say without being a police man myself. Point taken. I think I would stop badly towed cars, you can tell these a mile off.

trailors have MOTs?

JettaTDi you are not a chuffer or spaz.

3. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Unfortunately though you have had exactly the same amount of formal training as a Police Officer regarding when to exercise discretion, NONE, it's a personal judgement call which they have to live with the consequences of on a daily basis.

4. paul_c Forum Member

Trailers don't need an MoT as such, but need to be roadworthy, and also if over 750kgs (or the unbraked tow weight of the car) need working overrun brakes, etc etc.

5. squibby Forum Member

You reckon the risk is higher towing a car without MOT then a trailor? Probably. I'm not talking cars with bald tyres and knackered shocks, I'm talking cars with an engine fault that have just sat around for ages because the owner couldn't sell. This is the situation I have found myself in on the couple of occasions I have towed. I have to admit I didn;t know it was illegal until I read this thread but I don't think it would have put me off for the short distances I did it. (naughty me)

6. paul_c Forum Member

Doesn't really help the OP, when people simply use this area to tell anecdotes of what they've done, what they've gotten away with by driving past police before, etc without really understanding or knowing the law, or why there are certain things in place in law. Based on a simple question, this thread has become a 3 page muddle! Club GTI at its best!

7. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I'm not saying that I wouldn't/haven't done it either. But if I were caught doing it I would accept the fact that I was in the wrong & certainly wouldn't **** off or criticise the Police like some other people on this forum.

8. inoakgreen Forum Member

i'm not a copper myself but i'd imagine if being 1, there'd be loads of laws like this that are, of course against the law, but also easily broken and are accepted/not accepted by individuals in society!!! few eg's litter dropping, parking on double yellow lines, swearing in public, smoking a joint etc.... all against the law but some coppers (they only human) may find some of these as unexceptable behaviour and nick you, or they may just turn warn you, or even just turn a blind eye!!!

however you have to realise that if its against the law, you break it and your at their descretion!!! some may let you go, but that wont mean they all will!!! they're not being kn*bs - your spinning the roulette wheel!!!

9. squibby Forum Member

This is in the general chit chat though and we are still on topic. I haven't **** off the police. The ones I have dealt with has used common sense everytime I have been stopped. I will take a sharp turn if I see any Police Murcielagos coming though if there is a next time