car conversations at work

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Matt82, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

where you just cant be arsed to chip in

an RX8 is either an RX7 or RX6. it costs 20grand. the engine will fail and have to be replaced at 60k. its a 1.3 piston engine thats like a 2.6 so its really fast. a replacement engine will be at least 3k

2. Admin Guest

what more could you add to that?:lol:

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just shout w@nkel really loud.

4. foRSter New Member

I wonder how they imagine a 1.3 can be like a 2.6?

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I'm particularly fond of the ones where a colleague is talking something about cars to someone near you; then the 'scrappage scheme' comes into it, and they turn to you with a light bulb above their genuis heads and say "Have you heard about that, Pete? You've got a really old car...."

No, I've been living in a cave for the last however-many months, and hadn't heard about it, cheers, you've done me a huge favour!

******s. :lol:

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

People expect us to ditch out really old cars... bet you they'll out last the new ones anyway.

7. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Truth be told they do not understand us and because we have lovely classics (which they perhaps could not afford to maintain or don't know how) I got the comment a few weeks ago from Little Man aka jumped up stupid come from nowhere director. "Susan, now is the time to GET RID of TGHAT Volvo". "Why?" "Because you could buy a newer car".

"Why would I want a newer car, this 2001 has not done 50,000 miles yet". Haha, he leases his AWWWdi and I think hides his booster cushion when he vacates it. Sour grapes.

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

I just get fed up of evertone telling me how fast their turbo diesels are...zzz

9. alexisblades99 Forum Member

is that a volvo in your sig? i thought it was a gordon keeble..
    funny how most people think any old car is going to break down every time you take it out on the road. i don't chuckle when i drive past stranded 55 plates (tempting fate) but i'm tempted to. six mk2's in the last ten years, i've broken down twice (lift pump and fanbelt).

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

agreed. I had a girl at my old work, who drove a brand new leased 3 series poverty spec and she used to call my vectra a saab. (odd insult as a saab is a better brand but anyhow) I got a nail through a brand new tyre and was a bit peeved at having to fork out another 70 straight away. She did this really dragotory laugh as her bmw tyres were 300 each.....

I emailed her asking how much she pays a month, then I did a quick search and looked at what you could buy with the money she was going to spend over three years. Sent a team email with a link saying this is what you could have had (1yr old BMW 320 Convertible) and you've ended up with a poverty spec rep mobile and think your clever getting stung for 300 a tyre?

followed by -

general concensus was that she got owned big time :lol:

11. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Car banter...

A mate asked me when I was going to scrap my old banger for a new car via the scrappage scheme. He said I was stupid to be driving a car thats old. (a car that goes up in value each year)

He's got a contract hire poverty spec audi a5 pays nearly for 650 quid a month!! Thats well over half his wage! Now he's complaining that hes skint each month.

What he did not realise is that the scrappage scheme did not save him 2000. They made that back on interest and he's now screwed for the next 3 years.

Soon as I sat inside his A5 I said ''Its missing the wow factor for 650 a month''

Im the stupid one right? :lol:

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

General concensus was also that you do not know when an apostrophe is necessary. I'm drunk and it STILL made my eyes bleed.

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ before the 'scrapage' scheme, the car companies were giving discounts of over 2k anyway to try and get sales moving!!! the only good deals are the super mini's where they were normally say 9k, and they take off the government 2k and a further discount meaning you pay something like 6.5k..... good deal if you want an underpowered shopping trolly.

If I was to lease, it would be used not new.

14. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

sorr'y

15. alexisblades99 Forum Member

grammar fail!

16. Lee H New Member

Don't even get me started.

Did you know the Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 is one of the fastest cars on the road? Let alone incredibly reliable, where as a 55 plate Skoda with a 130pd with a remap is going to cost more to run and be slower than a 1.8glx Ford Mondeo with two tone paint and a body kit?

17. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Funnily enough, I did :lol:

Used to get no end of stick for my 'old shed' when I worked in a pub, until I started giving a couple of people lifts home at night. Having **** themselves at the tarmac rippling power they soon piped down :lol:

18. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Like Jolfa one of my colleagues was always referring to my Golf as an "old shed" I gave him a lift in it one night & as we approached a roundabout (turning right from a dual carriageway onto m/way) he asked "why do you drive this heap when you have a new Avensis?" I smiled & said "because I can't do this in my Avensis" before entering the r-a-b at 40 & exiting it about 60 before hitting 90ish up the sliproad.

I think he was convinced:lol:

Disclaimer-This was at 3am on a Monday morning on a well light dry road & no other traffic before I get lectured about speeding & if I had been caught it would have been my fault & I would have accepted it[:$]

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Disclaimer not required... :lol:

I had a very similar situation with a work collegue.

Forever slating my `old heap...nice looking, but still an old heap`...

Different story when he wanted picked up to go to a work`s golf outing!

110+, arrived at the bottom of the slip road, back off, lights green, flick left onto the roundabout, apex, and off onto the dual carriageway.

I looked over and he was [strikethrough]white as a sheet[/strikethrough] (he`s black actually) clearly cr*pping himself.

`Bet your brand new 1.4 Clio doesn`t do that, eh?`

Respect for the `old heap` duly applied... :lol:

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

todays one

how much would it cost to add powersteering to a car. after loads of gabbering someone says "ask matt"

my answer "less than it would cost you to see your own car and buy one with powersteering"

this is on an old mini

"what you really want to do it put an integra engine in there. some dc5 power, no i mean dc2. thats a 200bhp engine. costs about 2350 for the engine and then a few hundred for someone to install it. then youd have a rocket"