changing oil filter

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Guests, Oct 18, 2004.

1. coullstar Forum Member

Did mine last week. 16 for 5litre of Quantum silver and genuine filter.

With filter change I think is about 4l you need in total. The filter will probably be quite tight so you will need a filter wrench/strap.

Warm oil up first. Drain the sump first then take of the filter. There will still be oil in the filter so be careful when removing. As above smear a little round the filter seal, fill up filter with oil then put on hand tight. Then just fill her up. Give the oil a couple of minutes when filling up to settle in the sump as you dont want to put to much in.

2. Guests Banned

why does everyone use quantum silver.....

cheers people for the help btw! :clap:

3. ZapBranny Forum Member

Its easy mate, you'll be fine.

I drove the front wheels on to some thick pieces of wood to give me clearance to get underneath. for some reason I couldn't remove it from the top, I think I didn't have enough clearance for the chain wrench from above.

Oh, you can put a plastic bag around the filter once you have loosened it, then as soon as its free drop it straight into it, as they're full of oil and it has a tendency to go everywhere.

just make sure you don't round your sump plug off, don't do it back up to tight, and get a new copper washer for the plug, about 20p from VW.

I use Synta silver a) because its cheap 8-10 b) its what VW use in their services C) heard bad things about Castrol GTX etc [:s]

Edited by: ZapBranny

4. b'locks Forum Addict

Make sure you start the engine with no oil in it just to make sure it's all come out properly. ;)

5. oak8vgti Forum Member

hope you are taking the micheal with that last comment, if not DO NOT start the engine with no oil in it, just make sure its warmed up abit and you'll have no probs

6. prof Forum Addict

said B'locks

7. Guests Banned

ok i went to vw and got a filter...forgot the dam copper washer for the sump plug

ill get that when i go back for the wiper blanking plugs.

so you cant just change the filter you have to drain the engine oil first? will it urine out if i just undo the filter?

looks fairly straight forward since i looked under the bonnet.....could do with done of these filter spanners really....

i wouldnt mind doing an engine flush.....can anyone recomend something to use for it?

8. diggerbucket Forum Member

1. Run your engine til it's warm, makes the oil nice and runny.
    2. Place a shallow container beneath the sump plug to catch all the oil. Make sure it'll hold 5 litres. I always put some newspaper down too.
    3. Loosen sump plug with a spanner, it'll go by hand after a couple of turns. Keep your hand above it or you'll get covered in oil. Try not to drop the plug in the catch tray.
    4. While it's draining undo the filter. If you have one of those wrenches it'll come off no bother, otherwise hammer a big screwdriver right through it and twist. Have a plastic bag ready to catch the filter when it's undone, saves making too much mess.
    5. Smear the gasket on the new filter with oil and screw it on. Tighten it up as much as you can by hand, that'll be tight enough.
    6. Once its drained put the new sump plug back in with the new O-ring.
    7. Fill up with new oil, should hold 4 - 4.5 litres. DO NOT OVERFILL.
    8. Run the engine for a while to fill up the new filter.
    9. Let it settle and fill up to the max mark on the dipstick.

30 mins start to finish, although it'll probably take longer the first time! You can't really just change the filter, it'll pi[/i]ss everywhere.

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

LOW cars are an utter pain in the ring to change the oil on aswell [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x]

10. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Go to halfords and get one those oil containers.

Its sits on its side to let oil go in to, then plug the hole with the cap, and put back up like a gerry can and take down council to empty oil out......

Thats what i got recently...spot on....

11. Guests Banned

lol thats what i thought....i have a trolly jack and 2 axle stands.....should be ok

thanks again for your help.....might have a go tomorrow night or ill wait till the weekend....ill let you know how i get on

lmao at hammer and screwdriver through old filter.....hehe im so doing that :lol:

12. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

SPOT ON :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

13. Jeff Forum Junkie

its all been covered, but seeing as youre such a n00b at oil changes (I had to say it ;)) can i add that changing the oil is as important as the filter, and even after you drain the sump oil the old filter will still be full of oil, so be ready to tip that out into your catch tray after taking it off.

sticking a screwdriver through it will be messy for the above reasons.

14. Jeff Forum Junkie

p.s. I've never yet needed one of those wrench thingys or the screwdriver through the filter trick, and I'm no heavyweight or anything. just grab the filter and twist it off. its a bit like undoing a jam jar thats stuck.

15. oakgrūn Forum Member

It is easy to undo the filter, unless it has been tightened by a gorilla like mine had when I bought the car. Over-tightened oil filters are [:x]

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Don't make the classic mistake my mate is so fond of doing - pouring in his nice new clean Mobil 1 before he's replaced the sump plug...... :lol:

17. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

The first time I done an oil change I emptied the gearbox by mistake ;)

Whenever I need to go under the car now I go down my neighbours garage and get to use his pit!! Makes it a lot easier to do. ;)

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

I stopped using semi-synthetic on my 8v after getting a hole in the piston (after 130+k mind :lol: ) as we think it may have been getting past the rings when it was cold?

I just use 40/15? now i think? [:s] :lol: not sure as im a lazy bast & get pro's to do it instead while im having other things done.

19. Andy947 Forum Addict

Aye 15w/40 for the MK2 :)

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Prostitutes are not always good at working on cars. And as far as "having other things done" - watch out for ulcers on your member. Syphilis is more easily treatable these days than ever before.