Cheque book or Home made Show cars

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by altern8, Apr 15, 2004.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

:lol:
    Nothing really against chequebook /daddy's cars - plenty of them are nice. My point was about people claiming their cars are homebuilt when they've lowered it and stuck on some plastic bits, then bolted on some wheels. Take a look at Trendy Tramp's car - that's fucking homebuilt, more so than any other golf on the scene. I just think it's a joke when some kiddie with a 1.4 Mk3 has it painted and does a bit of work on it, then calls it a homebuilt car.

2. Dave J Forum Member

Nowt wrong with 8 valves!
    Mine has been in my garage being rebuilt for the last 6 months. It would have been easy to take it to a garage and say "fix my engine" but it would have cost a bloody fortune and doing it myself means a lot more attention to detail. I know (or was it hope) that it will be spot on when it is finished.

3. altern8 Forum Junkie

thats an awesome car with a lot of hard work put into it from what ive seen and read

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

When i think of a cheque book car i think of that Premier Purple thing last year. Or that black Audi based mk2 in the golf that had 24,000 spent on it at Dubsport!

"Make me a show winning car, i have 25,000 to spend and wanna win a 10 trophy. I don't care what it looks like"

Thats a cheque book car... and is total b0llocks IMO.

Now... would you class my car as cheque book!?

I bought the car with the 2.0 fitted by Autoteknic.
    Midland VW fitted my anti-rol bars and lightened flywheel.
    Some crappy bodyshop did my painting.

I fitted the clutch, gearbox, coilovers, brakes, bucket seats, camber, tracking, will fit the roll cage in 2 weeks.

So....?

5. Admin Guest

thats a pretty good summary of both worlds.

6. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Mine will be all done by me and a little (lot of) help from my mates (and a tyre fitter, and a powder coater).

Ones a welder and is going to supervise/teach me while i do the welding bits (mk3 seats, hole in back panel)

Another is a painter, we are going to prep it together and then he will paint it, i wouldnt even try.

And i'm going to slip them both a cheque for their efforts, proper cheque book car i tell thee!! :lol:

(i never fitted the vr in my last one but since then i have found this forum and now i would tackle the vr swap no probs, before i found the forum -no chance (i paid cash not cheque))
    Edited by: 1990

7. ViCk Forum Member

I've done everythin to my Mk1 appart from the engine (which is being re-done by 800g's). If the car does need work done for which I don't have the tools or knowledge to do by myself, then I will give it to a pro. So far the engine itself is a checkbook creation ! :lol:
    Edited by: ViCk

8. lowlife Forum Member

I fitted the clutch, gearbox, coilovers, brakes, bucket seats, camber, tracking, will fit the roll cage in 2 weeks.
    Tub wrote...?

I saw your Car at Midland VW having a new gearbox & Clutch...? I hope you didn't use your cheque book.

enough said.

9. OSV

OSV Forum Member

I still don't think we should continue to get hung up on creating division and conflict. We should celebrate the fact we own VWs and enjoy a vibrant show and club scene whether they are
    air or water cooled,
    8 or 16v
    1.8T or VR6
    standard or modded
    MK1s or new cars
    show cars or track cars

We all have different opinions, resources, skills and taste. Respect peoples right to own the car of their choice whatever their circumstances.

10. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Yes they have fitted me a clutch and a gearbox. When my old one blew and i needed one throwing in in a real hurry. The fully re-built one was installed by myself.. as was the clutch, and the sump all at the same time. Got pics of it in my garage if you really wanna see them! :clap:

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

i believe ya,hell you should be experienced with boxes and clutches after what youve gone through. [:D]

and agree with osvdub :clap:

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

And when Jody charges you 20 to fit it as you are buying the box off him who would say no!?

13. edition38 Forum Member

ok its like this !!!!!!! after reading what everybodys said ALL OF YR CARS ARE Cheque book CARS!!!!!!!!! apart from one or two, if u can panit ,fil weld ,reroof,transplant,chrome,sandblast, ect ect ect all ye self then its home grown but the frist time u pay for somebody to do anything i.e chorme then you have your cheque book out to pay them ??????????? me i always deaLl in cash :lol: :lol:

14. Guests Banned

At the end of the day gentlemen and Ladies does it really f**kin matter how we get our dubs sorted as long as we are happy at the end of the day . i am not gifted in the art of welding painting mechanicing etc etc so i choose to pay to get it done so as not to ruin my car as do most of us but i can stand back and apreciate a home grow car if its good as much as i can apreciate a chequebook car as it still takes the same skill just done by somebody else .enough said .........