designadubs any good?

Discussion in 'Quality retailers & Supplies' started by fthaimike, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leigh_Collins Forum Member

please tell us why you are an x member ;)

2. Dizzie20vT Forum Member

hi Paul, remember me?

3. x designa dubs New Member

lol i left of my own accord................

4. x designa dubs New Member

yes i do in dead how are you long time no hear

5. x designa dubs New Member

dizzie did i leave after or before we finished your car

6. KidKoala Forum Member

Does that mean your not gonna tell us why? :lol:

7. x designa dubs New Member

just told you lol

i left honest ?

;)

8. Dizzie20vT Forum Member

you left just as I was about to drop my car off Paul. It was really annoying as you knew exactly what we'd talked on the phone about and it was purely down to you that I went with DD.

you told me you'd found an engine, but it was a 150 so you didn't get it. this was during the 3 month wait between my deposit and me dropping my car off. in the end I ended up with a 150 anyway. [:s]

9. x designa dubs New Member

lol you work it out

any way dizzy just wanted to know if i was there when you picked your car up i am sure i was there when it rolled out

i have some thing i want to say to red golf the one that now works there thats if my facts are right so i need to know please dizzy [:D]

10. x designa dubs New Member

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh yes

i gotya yeh thats right now i know you cool so i didnt do the work then cool

thank you all i wanted to know

11. Dizzie20vT Forum Member

I didn't think you were there. I didn't think I ever got to meet you Paul

12. x designa dubs New Member

no i remmeber talking to you on the phone.............

how is the car now?

13. red_golf Forum Member

I dont work there Paul... thought you knew that...

All ive said it what Matt has said about it so i dont know because i wasnt there...

14. x designa dubs New Member

and like i said i wanted to get my facts straight which i now have

and thats why i havent had a go and i thought you was training there for college

15. x designa dubs New Member

look just come on here to say i aint there any more i will never be there again

i did not leave cause i was ragging a customers car the grey car at no rice was bought and payed for thats why i was hammering it

no i was not sacked

I LEFT FOR REASONS I CANNOT AND WILL NOT SAY.........................

16. x designa dubs New Member

www.5vturbo.co.uk drifting in a silver supra

guess who was driving lol.........................

click drift movie........

17. Slugga New Member

A lot of people have been asking me about my designa dubs conversion so here is my (long) story.

I paid DD the reduced sum, for cash, of 1200 for a 2ltr 16v engine and 280mm front brake set up to be supplied and fitted.

I jumped at the chance of getting the conversion done for that price, which i'm sure you'll all agree, was a damn good deal (apart from those of you who do your own conversions, have dads or brothers who are mechanics etc etc)

On matt's advice, he said a 9a lump was the engine i wanted and i accepted his judgement. I gave him the green light. I wanted to reserve an engine he had and i had the money waiting. I had to wait just over 3 months until DD was ready for my car to go in. In fact, my car was in for the work inbetween Dizzies first and second engine. Yea, it bugged me having to wait so long but DD were busy and I understood that. No problems with that Im sure you'll all agree.

I had 'heard' a couple of stories up to that point about shoddy work. I spent a lot of time at the old workshop in popham services and i had a couple of concerns with cars stored outside being filthy and tools on the workshop floor in no order whatsoever but i put it down to the workshop being small, lots of cars coming in and out and that they were waiting to move to larger premises.

I helped them move to larger premises. Me, Matt and Nick spent one long day til 2am moving engines and stuff to the new workshop. I became mates with the DD staff. This is the reason, I believe, I got a good deal on my conversion; that coupled with the fact I was gonna help out with it. (I wanted to learn about converting my car)

What I didnt expect was a conversion quite like the one I got. It wasn't running right the day I picked it up. (about 2 weeks after it first went in)

Problems and concerns that I had included:
    -5th gear did not want to engage
    -clutch biting point way to high
    -no 16v clocks installed as we had agreed
    -wouldn't start on a turn or two like i'd expect,
    -the car idled erratically
    -my exhaust system was loose
    -tools left in engine bay
    -bolts missing/not tightened
    -ecu not fixed in place
    -wiring messy and bare wire exposed in places
    -bonnet wouldn't close properly as airbox/pipework sat too high
    -goodridge hoses I supplied were cable tied at a tight angle on one side of the car
    -lots of little things like slightly damaged connectors, untidy pipework, windscreen wiper stalk actions inverted (rear operated front and vice versa)

Now I paid a reduced price so I didnt expect any frills but I was a bit peeved to be told that I was comparing the gearbox to my brand new ford focus and that I couldn't drive properly which is why I couldnt engage 5th. :(

It's at this point that I swing my judgement slightly in DD's favour.

I told Matt and Nick what needed doing and we spent the next few hours putting things right. Gear linkages had been connnected upside down apparently so they tinkered with that. goodridge hoses clamped tightly were apparently ok. etc etc.

At the end of the day, Matt was a mate, so I paid my money and I took my car home with the majority of the faults sorted and the promise of the 16v clocks to be fitted at a later date, the starting and idling problem to be cured at a later date and I obviously still had my 6 month gaurantee to sort out the teething problems.

I did get a set of 16v clocks but they were faulty - i gave up on that one and just used my 8v clocks instead. A lot of the little faults I learned to live with. After all, this was a second car for me to be used for track days so I could live with the odd broken bit here and there.

My overriding fault was the idling/starting problem that I took the car to DD with on pretty much a daily basis to get sorted for 3 or 4 months. They couldn't solve my problem so I ended up doing my own research with cgti members (cheers duff :) ) and spending lots of time on vortex and other forums.

With the info and research that I did, and my persistance in taking the car back for dd to make changes, it paid off in the end and the car eventually ran right, 5 months after I first picked the car up.

They were the most stressful 5 months of my life. My work suffered as I raced home to get my car and then get it over to DD to attempt another fix. I spent so much time there that my girlfriend got p***** off and my mates were getting tired of hearing me telling them that I couldn't meet them at the pub as i was getting my car sorted.

SUMMARY

-Was I happy with the price DD quoted?
    YES

-Was I happy with the quality of install?
    Mostly - I expected teething problems and to tidy a few bits n pieces up myself because of the price

Was I happy with the performance of the car?
    When it ran ok, it was fappin' fast!

Was i happy with the after sales service?
    I ended up feeling like I was being a pain and felt guilty keep asking them to look at my car. I didnt expect to have to do research myself. When i presented facts, they eventually took this on board and my persistance paid off - they did sort my car out in the end and it ran well. I suppose that is the main thing.

Would I use their services again?
    I would never pay another garage to work on my dubs apart from things like exhausts, tracking etc. I now feel that I would prefer to attempt work on my car myself.

Would I recomend their services to others?
    I would recomend that other people take on board comments that others have made, see some of their conversions up close that they have done on previous customers cars, speak with DD about what they want and exactly what they will get, agree everything in writing, and then make your own mind up.

Im sure that both the haters and lovers will have something to say about this but this is my first hand, un-biased experience. If you wanna talk to me, come find me at a meet or a show :)

I will respond here to intelligent questions or points raised. I am not getting involved in any slanging matches or witch hunts whatsover.

18. veedubber Forum Member

The sad thing is, we the ex customers that have had conversions done there aren't just making cr@p up to try and ruin a business for the sake of it. It also isnt a recent problem, i was one of the first ever customers probably over 3 yrs ago now.

If the work done to our cars was done to a good standard, this 10 page thread wouldn't off appeared and been filled in the way it has.

I know what i got, i know what my independant reports i got done on my car say. I'm quite happy for people to think i'm a liar because i know the full truth, and the people involved know the truth aswell. They just choose not to accept it openingly as its damaging to there livelyhood.

19. bully Forum Member

Its amazing how many people have had problems, i thought maybe i was the only one.

I have also had independent reports done, doesnt make pleasent reading.

And just to make a point i didnt fit the air filter,(for those who know me, would realise i wouldnt knwo how to). After all the reason we use companies like DD and others, is because we are not capable. I put my trust in them and also 5500, and i ended up with the mess you see in my pics.
    It just shows that DD do read these threads because whne my thread was started ages ago i had private messages sent to me by DDs friends asking me what i thought of DD. Also one of them was trying to blame the bad wiring on the guy doing my respray.needless to say i knew who they were, as they were the ones who recommended DD to me in the 1st place.

My car was deemed such a fire hazard that i missed Inters last year, even REVO when they looked at it said it was a disgrace.

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Well i have been at gareth's (Dubusiness) in S.Wales sorting some stuff out on my mk1 over the last week & he mentioned about reading over this thread & like others havesaid that they weretaking some of it with a pinch of salt until..........

A customer came in with a mk2 DD 20vt conversion & gareth was quite shocked at some of the finished or unfinished jobs on the car, i'll see him tomorrow to get some more facts about it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.