Electric Mirrors Mk3 - Mk2

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by zilpha, Sep 28, 2004.

1. zilpha Forum Member

Has anybody converted any Mk3 leccy mirrors to Mk2 ones, ie taken the inards out of the Mk3 mirror and put it in the MK2 housing etc?
    Edited by: zilpha

2. Drew21 Forum Member

I did this (and many others have too) using corrado parts. Also Passat parts work too.
    I suspect mk3 parts would work also but I am not sure

3. zilpha Forum Member

Cool, got any tips? Is it fairly easy? What about the wiring/looms is is plug and play or a nightmare [:s]

4. oak8vgti Forum Member

nah m8 its quiet easy to do as long as you have an understanding about electrics, have a look in faq electrics there is a wiring diagram there, thats what i used to do mine last weekend dead easy, where abouts r u, maybe if someones close they could help you out

5. zilpha Forum Member

i'm in sheffield. I've not bought the mirrors yet but there is a mk3 gti in my local scrap yard so I'll probably get them at the wend ;) PS you sent me those door card pics? [:s] not received them [:s]

6. vw scottie Forum Member

You might be better of getting some passat mirrors proply find them a lot cheaper (i was quoted 15 for loom and mirrors) and there`s plenty about

7. damogti Forum Junkie

Passat loom is the same as the MK2 loom except for the heating part so id use all Passat parts personally......

8. zilpha Forum Member

cheers lads, is the switch the same as the one on the golf? If not can I get one from GPC or VAG? Also just to clarify is it this model passat;)
    Edited by: zilpha

9. vw scottie Forum Member

that`s the passat you want and the mirror switch is the same as the golf one if that`s what you mean.Fitting the loom is a piece of pi$$. :)

10. zilpha Forum Member

cool, that's my weekend sorted then :lol: no doubt I'll get stuck though when I have to wire it up so be ready to answer my 20 questions [:$]

11. vw scottie Forum Member

When you take the loom out of the passat it`s easier to take the dash out because the loom runs along under front of the dash(it took me 3/4 hour to remove mirror and window looms) and take the plug`s out of the fuse box.This will help you when you come to fit it.If you get stuck i`ll try and answer you questions :) If your golf is post 90 it should be easy

12. oak8vgti Forum Member

just beaware that the wiring loom in the passat will be very sticky, dont ask me y but they are so if you have some latex gloves take them with you otherwise it will take an age gettin the stick pooe off your fingers, oh and passat switch is the same as a mk3 switch, i have a mk2 1 tho if anyone wants 1 pm me, if when you fit the loom you find that the mirrors are working arse about face then

1. make sure switch is positioned correctly
    2, if switch is on L and right mirror moves and vise versa, open the connector that plugs into the back of the switch and swap the blue and blue/black wire around.

all should work fine, honestly shouldnt take more than 2 hours at the most, oh and dont forget if you havent got heated mirror glass, then your'll need to tape the two extra wires up
    Edited by: oak8vgti

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The only difference to the switch is its square rather than wedge shaped. I'm 75% sure the MK3 loom and motors are different shapes and so wont fit the MK2 mirror housing, but the Corrado & Passat moters are definitely the same.

You can get the wiring out without taking the whole dash out, but you'll need to get the glovebox and dash surround out, as well as the trim under the steering wheel. Its a tw@ of a job though, and oak8vgti is correct, the wires will be very sticky :)

The switch is the same apart from the knob is square rather than wedge shaped as is the MK2 item. You'll also need the plastic trim to cover the adjuster hole on the passenger side, cheap from the dealer and GPC.

14. Drew21 Forum Member

I have a trim cover in the post from VW, it was 45p :p

I used corrado mirror units and a loom rubjohnny dug out of a passat (I think). Switch was from a passat (ebay), I had to do a lot of cleaning on this to get it to work.

Rather than faff with connections to the fuse box (my alarm doesn't like it when I move the fuse box) I just wired the three wires to the heated screen switch.
    ie the power supply went to the 30 terminal
    the earth to the 31 terminal
    and the heated mirror wire to the... um other (86) terminal (haven't got the heated glass sorted yet though)

15. zilpha Forum Member

cheers for the advise [:D] I just need to find a passat with leccy mirrors now :lol: , I know there is one in my local yard but not sure about mirrors [:s] glad to hear i don't have to remove the whole dash :lol: how does the bottom of the dash come away, similar to golf? [:s]

16. rubjonny

Yup just couple of screws. The mirror glass from a passat won't fit the MK2 housings though. Your old glass will fit, but it won't have the heating elements obviously!

They are expensive to buy, around 70 from GPC!! If you can get the mirror glass from the passat, perhaps you could 'persuade' the elements off using heat ;)
    Edited by: rubjonny

17. zilpha Forum Member

Once Ive got all the bits I will post some pictures and maybe someone can help me out with all the wiring issues Im gonna have [:$] ;)

18. rubjonny

Theres a handy wiring diagram in the electrics FAQ, but it should be eaiser for you if you get the full loom!

19. zilpha Forum Member

just one more question for the moment, how do you remove the the glass from the wing mirrors? coz I don't wanna start messin with them and then break the mirrors [:s] Im sure its a piece of pi$$ but just thought id ask [:$]

20. rubjonny

Its a bit of a fiddle, you adjust the glass as far down as possible and prise it off gently. It has a clip in each corner and you want to pop them off, easiest way I found was to use a thin screwdriver.