Electric Mirrors Mk3 - Mk2

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by zilpha, Sep 28, 2004.

1. zilpha Forum Member

Got some heated leccy mirrors last night which are off a J Reg Mk2 [:D] (courtesy of Steve B) No VW Loom though [:^(] but got a home made one instead :p Anyway, what I need now is pictures of a 90 MK2 fuse box coz Ive got three wires which need to be connected! (main power(red) earth(brown) and the heated bit (green and white) which goes to the heated rear switch I think? [:s] ) Apparently there are several spade connectors on the box, I just need to know whats what! [:$] [:s]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

power goes into one of the spare sets of spade connectors on the back of the fusebox. Theres a group on the left and on the right, one for live the other for ignition live, get a multimeter or a test lamp!

Earth just goes on the 'claw' above the fusebox, its a group of spades with some brown wires plugged into it, there should be a couple spare at least.

The green/white wire on a 90 spec MK2 should go to a spare plug hanging out the back of the fusebox which goes live when the heated rear screen switch is pressed. This isn't present on the early VWs, but should be there on all CE2 cars!

3. zilpha Forum Member

cheers me dears [:^:] I'll get sorted at the weekend ;)

4. zilpha Forum Member

just one more question, how does the fuse box come out (I presume I will have to take it out to get to these spades!?) [:s]

5. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

How do you get the glass of to replace the inners.

Is it possible to make heated mirrors just by buying the glass.

6. zilpha Forum Member

Look further up this post and it tells you [:D] I asked a very similar question ;) I think you might be able to use the heated elements off a passat mirror, providing you can get them off that is ;)

7. rubjonny

Ok, take the drivers side dash undertray out, (a load of screws) then you should see the fusebox in all its glory Remove the plastic trim that sits underneath if it's there

Next there is a white 'clothespeg' on the left side, pull it to the left slightly then towards you. Then it should just unclip.

Now you just lift the fusebox up, and pull it towards you, then it should be free to drop downwards. Once you have it here you should be able to see the spade connectors I was banging on about clearly!

If you get stuck let me know and I'll take some photos for you

8. zilpha Forum Member

thanks matey[:D]

9. Steve B Forum Junkie

hows it going zilpha any luck mate ?

sounds like your lucky with the 90 spec fuse box, as the earlier ones dont have the white and green wire clip but yours will

should be very straigh forward mate

remember what i said about the spade conectors, if there are some fuses missing from the front of ure fuse box i think it means that some of the spade connectors might not be fused so there will be no power

so if they dont work, either fit a fuse into the empty slots one by one until you find which one it is giving the mirrors there own fuse (which could be handy) or attach it to one of the others for less hassle

your alarm looked like it was covering up the earth attachments on the fuse box side so might be a pain to get at you probably wont be able to see it anyway just put your hand up there and feel about you will know when you have found it

also because the earth on the passanger mirror does not join on to the earth on the drivers side you are going to have to wire that up seperately or the mirror wont work

you can do this two ways you can run a wire from one earth to the other earth on the drivers side attach them together and earth them both at the smae point (this is how the VW loom is set up)

or you can just find a sutable earth on the passanger side and earth both the earths seperately

it should work fine both ways

if you do have any problems i can meet you somewhere inbetween shefield and bradford and ill fit em for you for nothing

but you should be able to do em yourslef so have a go

let me know how you get on mate

cheers [:D]

10. Steve B Forum Junkie

orry if thats a bit unclear i know what im on about, which doesnt help you much anyway ill clarify if your not sure

11. zilpha Forum Member

Ive not had chance to have a look yet coz Ive been working and the weathers been so $hit! Im gonna spend Saturday doing it (hopefully not all of it! :lol: ) I'll try my best to do it myself but if I do fail I might take you up on your offer [:$] ;) PS Love that Mk3 dash, looks sweet:clap: Also checkout this Jetta ;) it looks the business[8D]
    Edited by: zilpha

12. Steve B Forum Junkie

btw mate i you have a problem when you fit them if you still have my number give me a ring ill see what i can do for you over the phone

13. Steve B Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

sweet nice and old school id do that if i had the time to keep my car mint

but im hoping it will look something like this when done

(bad photoshop)

[​IMG]
    Edited by: Steve B

14. Steve B Forum Junkie

have to admit you car is sweet as mate a reallynice base car, and i think them blue recaros might be out of a g60 limited not sure tho either way there sweet aswell lol!

15. zilpha Forum Member

Got me mirrors in but only the drivers side works [:^(] I can hear the passangers side switching but it won't move! There is defintlty power there so Im thinkin maybe the switch is f***ed.

The heated elements are working I think! Linked them straight to the switch because I wasn't sure which plug they connect too. (is it the one with the question mark next to it as this is the only spare plug I could find)

[​IMG]

Currently the mirrors are on perminent live as I couldn't find egintion live [:s] both spades marked 1 and 2 are perminent live! Any ideas?

[​IMG]

PS Anybody got a spare switch I could buy off em'? ;)

Edited by: zilpha

16. rubjonny

I don't think power is getting to the motors on the passenger side, the click you can hear is the solonoid, both sides click whenever you press up/down on the knob regardless of what position it's in.

I think that wire is for your dash lighting, I would take it off and check as I don't think the dash light fuse would be able to handle the extra load! Do you have a multimeter?

I think there should be some spades on the other side that are ignition live, but it don't realy matter anyway if the mirrors work with the ignition off!

Whereabouts are you mate, anywhere near Bracknell?

17. zilpha Forum Member

Do you mean the plug with the question mark against it? If so I never connected it anyway as I wasn't 100% what it was. I ended up splicing the green and white wire coming out of the heated rear window switch instead?! [:s]

Anyway, youre right about the solenoid as I took the mirror glass off and I can see it move up and down when switched. Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter so I can't test if any voltage is getting to the motor [:^(] I might be able to get hold of one, but not while the wend [:^(]

Also is it ok for it to stay on permanent live?

PS Unfortunately Im up North in Sheffield miles away from you.
    [8(]

18. vw scottie Forum Member

[/QUOTE]Also is it ok for it to stay on permanent live?[/QUOTE]

It should be ok

19. zilpha Forum Member

[:s] you don't sound to sure [:s] :lol: If I could find where igition live was I would swap it, but I couldn't find any spare spades. From looking at both pictures do you know where it is? [:$] [:$]

20. rubjonny

It will be fine, the only problem I can see is if either a motor or solonoid got stuck, thus drawing current even with the key out but I doubt that would ever happen.

You have a problem with either the black or blue wire, or possibly the switch, how did you wire the black wire up, it should be connected to the other mirror and the switch?