Engine Missing - MK2 GTI Digifant (PB)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by CharlieBus, May 9, 2014.

1. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Check the fuel pressure regulator. Mine went rapidly last year when the system was re-pressurised so only had some of those symptoms, but it was certainly overfueling in the midrange. There was also fuel in the vacuum line once it had really gone.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. CharlieBus Forum Member

Cheers mate will have a look, its so frustrating. It drives lovely at 2500rpm. lol Just need it to drive like that all the time and not stink of fuel.

3. CharlieBus Forum Member

How do you check the fuel pressure regulator please folks?

Also our Haynes Manual doesn't cover a Digifant Model - it only covers K Jet :( - does anyone know of a decent manual that does?

Thanks

4. Finite

There is some info in Haynes Chapter 12 supplement section 346>348, but USA Bentley manual is better. I'll send you some info in a PM

CharlieBus likes this.
  5. CharlieBus Forum Member

And the prize goes to EZ_Pete :thumbup: :clap:

Thank you to you all - everyone of you that has replied have helped us no end - tonight not only does it sound like a Golf, it drives like one too, touch wood!

Special thanks to The_Teller, EZ_Pete, RubJonny and Marty's Dub - we owe you guys a beer or two! :thumbup:

Checked the coil resistancy today and the primary circuit was low, promptly ordered a new coil and had it sent over on the hovercraft - this is the other side of the Island to where we live so swapped it over in their car park lol and had a drive home we definitely weren't expecting - first time I have ever been put back in my seat in a Bay.

Will keep you all updated :p

Marty's Dub, EZ_Pete and Collie like this.
  6. CharlieBus Forum Member

:( It's not a happy bunny when cold, misfiring until warm and then is fine. It also seems to still be overfuelling, and not just when it misses.

Needs to do about 3 miles before it settles down from cold if that helps :o

Get one problem solved and it causes another lol - got to laugh

Coil definitely made a huge difference to pulling power, and drives spot on once warm apart from the overfuelling but that isn't all the time to annoy us more.

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Cam timing and ignition timing checked?

8. Finite

Since you mention cold running issues as well as over fuelling it is behaving pretty much as mine did last year. With the wrong fuel pressure the injectors pump in too much fuel and initial cold enrichment will add to this. Eventually I needed to open the throttle to start it which should be completely unnecessary and when it was missing it sounded like it was pulsing.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a look at the vac line to the FPR, it should go on the nipple closest to the inlet. also give the nipple a good poke with a pin or whatever make sure its not all clogged with rubbish. the nipple closest to the rubber boot and the one on the back both need blocking off.

a drop of machine oil in the fpr nipple can help free up if its a bit sticky, dont ask me why it works but apparently it does :lol:

also you may need to reset all the basic settings now your coil is fixed, ignition timing first then idle and co

10. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I see that you bought a new temp sensor, did you check the wiring to it?

11. Marty's Dub Forum Member

12. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

13. CharlieBus Forum Member

We did :) and have thought timing ourselves - going to have a check through the latest list of things to look at lol and go from there, will report back - thanks everyone (Again [:D])

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just to add to the linkys, be sure to do the timign first before you mess with base idle and co :)

when i originaly wrote it I just kinda did a brain dump, and now i cant swap the 2 sections over as I cant edit the post :lol:

15. Marty's Dub Forum Member

My sincerest apologies! What was I doing looking there anyway! :o

16. CharlieBus Forum Member

Daft question - how do you check the cam timing?

EDIT: Sussed it now on it like a tramp on a sandwich daylight permitting!

And we should of read the links properly lol

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  17. Finite

The knock sensor part number is wrong on that thread too it's 054905377 A not 054905377 G which has a different colour plug and more importantly 205mm less wire.

18. CharlieBus Forum Member

Well we figured out why the Golf Manuals didn't make sense for timing, lol, we used a T25 flywheel and clutch so markings different. The timing was out slightly, so going to sort that, but ran out of daylight today, would like to say its the timing being slightly out that is our latest problem, however knowing our luck its not. lol Will keep smiling, and just take one thing at a time. One day we will get there. Thanks everyone as always. :) Especially The_Teller who has helped us no end via texts :thumbup: You have been an absolute star! :)

19. CharlieBus Forum Member

Is there much diference in knock sensors? I had asumed they were all the same[:s] Had best check we have the right one. would it make much odds if its the wrong one?

20. Finite

The only difference between those two knock sensors above is the wire length and the colour of the plastic plug.

I think these are the marks for a static timing check, kind of hard to see on the lower cover until I took it off cleaned and laid some paint in there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other ones should be in the manual, front inner camshaft sprocket to belt cover top edge/cam cover (mine doesn't have an OT/TDC mark on the outer, but the arrow and letters are there on the plastic). Pull the cap off of the distributor and turn the crank until it points to TDC/ No. 1

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014