Engine Missing - MK2 GTI Digifant (PB)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by CharlieBus, May 9, 2014.

1. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Sadly? You'd be sad if you paid the VAG tax on it lol EuroCarParts or ECP ;) have Bosch under engine management switches for Mk2 8v, but I bought a second hand one off of ebay 7 from a breaker on the Isle of Wight coincidently. It came off of a 605 SRI.

It might be fine, but is it operating correctly with inlet vacuum and a free flowing return line to the tank. I don't really know how far off the pressure would have to be to cause a misfire. If I ever manage to get hold of a gauge I'll put the broken one back on to find out. It did manage to run well enough to squeak through an MOT with some stalling and adjustment, but it was running for most of the hour.

2. Marty's Dub Forum Member

3. CharlieBus Forum Member

Cheers - we have a Haynes Manual, although a Bentley one may be better, that may have to wait til we get some funds back up from buying all these parts to get no where lol. One day! [:s]

You guys are our rocks on this :thumbup: - and its nice to hear that things we are thinking are the same as you - even if its taken this long lol

Thanks for the offer of TCI Unit, by the time we have paid postage two ways, probably just as cheap to buy one - found a bilstein one for 35 or cheaper repro ones for 25 - would there be much difference?

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Nah, I bet I can post it to you for about 3, and I'm in Cowes the night of the 28th, though I suppose you could be a few miles even further south than that (or east, or west).

Finite: yeah I think VW wanted to charge me 80-something until they realised they couldn't/wouldn't get it.
    Forgot that ECP did them, good point.

5. CharlieBus Forum Member

Cool - At that price we had better PM you lol :)

Found a FPR on ECP - hope its not one of them at that price lol we have quite a collection of spares building up at the moment.

@ Finite - Apologies we didn't reply - with regards to the history of the engine, we brought the golf and drove it etc, drove like a dream, then broke it for the engine (sorry folks) about 2 years ago, the engine than sat in the shed until we put it into the crew cab, it had a very good VW Service History prior to us owning it, with a couple of years break.

Had about 80k on the clock and unmodified and molested. :)

With regards to the idle, this is pretty good now, has the odd moment.

6. Finite

Modern fuel sitting for that long can cause corrosion in the fuel system. I'm not sure how it was stored, but if you had no problem with the pump initially then the fpr should be ok as the pump will usually rust and seize first.

Hopefully it will be electrical, but it's strange that it was all working fine in the donor.

7. CharlieBus Forum Member

Hmm, it has gone through our minds, just doesn't make sense where its not a problem happening at the same time and all the time etc.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

put a drop of machine oil into the fpr vac nipple, can free em up if a bit sticky. I raided some out of my mums sewing machine box, still got it in my toolbox :lol:

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Spare TCI unit now on hand. Identical to this one (including ECP part number sticker on the box) but 8 quid cheaper. Very 'pattern part' appearance. Will test in my car at lunchtime.

Edit after testing: Well it works, but it's also kinda crap. The ramp features on either side of the connector plug have been moulded in the wrong way round, so you have to operate the loom connector's release mechanism to mate the connectors, but not when you want to unplug it, so it doesn't self-retain. :thumbd: How **** is that!
    Would be fine to run some tests with, I guess, but would need some bodgery to use permanently, to make sure it didn't vibrate loose. Anyone else had this trouble with an ECP pattern one?

Let me know if you'd like it for testing purposes. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  10. CharlieBus Forum Member

That's not such good news on the quality. :(

But yes got to be worth us trying before we shell out more hard earned for no benefit lol, will pm you.

Have tried the machine oil trick - no difference ;) Surprise surprise lol

11. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Solid state electronics. Doesn't really matter how it's badged, you can almost bet it was 'Made in China'.

12. CharlieBus Forum Member

Well fingers are crossed and touching wood but ........................................... nah, too frightened to say anything and tempt fate yet lol

13. CharlieBus Forum Member

Well its been a week lol and my fingers are beginning to hurt now, but long and short is we borrowed EZ Petes TCI Unit, and it has run as it should - finally - so much so that we are too frightened to remove it, and have brought it off him - thanks so much Pete. [:D]

And everyone else that has helped us! :) Hopefully we are on the road now for some trouble free motoring.

Everything we have changed has made a difference, the coil making maybe the biggest but this has finally cured it, all being well.

A quick list of the things we have changed off the top of our heads:

Coil,HT Leads, Blue Temp Sensor, Throttle Body, Pipes/Elbows etc (Fuel lines all new when conversion done), Electrics & Earths, Dizzy, Knock Sensor, Fuel Pump, Supply Pump, Timing Checked and Checked again, Machine Oil in FPR Nipple, Electrical Contacts Cleaned, Continuity Checks etc etc etc lol

Oh and the winner this time was rub_jonny - Thank you :thumbup:

Everyones help has been really appreciated - now to get it up the strip and see what it really can do lol

14. Finite

Sometimes people never post back with a conclusion so thanks for that. You'll be something of an expert on it now!

I think I'm going to check my coil today and see if it's still in spec.

15. CharlieBus Forum Member

After all the help we have received on here, only right to let people know the conclusion, especially when others are going through the same thing, we are only experts at doing what you guys have suggested lol

Marty's Dub likes this.
  16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

excellent glad to hear its all sorted! nightmare when things dont work right after all the hours you put in