Engine Missing - MK2 GTI Digifant (PB)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by CharlieBus, May 9, 2014.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah yeah the T25 flywheel probably has difference advance marking, what you'll need is a more expensive timing light with an advance dial on it, set it to 6 degrees and use the crank/flywheel TDC marker :)

2. Marty's Dub Forum Member

According to Etka 054 905 377 A Is for a Pre 90 PB It has a 740mm lead with a green plug
    054 905 377 G is for a Post 90 PB It has a 535mm lead with blue plug. As Finite says more lead for the 054 905 377 A and honestly at least with more wire you are not stretching things. You can always coil and tie too much wire.

3. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

That explains it then the sensor socket must be much closer on 90 spec loom. I'll have to check how far 535mm would get on mine when I can get at it again.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  4. CharlieBus Forum Member

Right its really starting to do our heads in now, re set timing - now it doesn't matter whether its hot or cold, it misses whenever it wants, some times it drives lovely, others like a badun, wondering if something is breaking down but no idea what, we have another fpr on its way (fingers crossed) as not able to check that easily ourselves. Getting expensive this lol, however when it runs nicely you know its worthwhile lol.

Also what HT leads do you guys recommend, we have put new ones on but wonder if there is a better make (can't remember now what we brought but they weren't the cheapest)

Thanks in advance. :)

5. rubjonny

bosch or beru for the ignition components, I buy stuff like that here:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk

have you done the TCI unit yet, the 7 pin thing near the ecu. make sure its somewhere cool they dont like gettign hot. the mk2 ones have a built in alloy heat sink base, mk1 units have a separate heatsink so if its one of those make sure the heatsink is there!

6. CharlieBus Forum Member

Thanks jonnysir - have we done what to the TCI Unit yet? And its a mk2 = somewhere cool lol

7. rubjonny

tried a replacement TCI yet sorry :lol:

8. Marty's Dub Forum Member

9. CharlieBus Forum Member

Not tried a replacement one yet no, do you think it would be advisable too then? Or have we missed that post completely. [:s]

10. rubjonny

its worth a try, as i say make sure it isnt sat somewhere too hot as they dont like it. all mk2s with electronic ignition have them so not hard to come by

11. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Something that can be overlooked sure! It is however an important/intergral part of the ignition system. Check/clean the contacts if needed as well as the contacts in the harness plug to it. Also for possible broken wiring around the plug area. (Boots/rubber covers can often conceal them) If it is possible, swop/replace it with one that you know works. If it still behaves the same way then you know the problem lies somewhere else. Process of elimination! Sometimes you can get a dud new part however if it were me I'd be ruling out anything that has been replaced.

12. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

[:^:]

13. CharlieBus Forum Member

Ok, we are working through the process of elimination lol, it just gets rather expensive, and more frustrating as you go along [:x]

14. CharlieBus Forum Member

Anyone got a working tci unit they don't want for a PB Engine lol or for that matter, every other bit we are going to need to rule out lol

15. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Heritage are out of stock at the mo. Here's another crowd http://www.germanautopartsdirect.co....duct_info.html they also have an FleaBay link.

I spotted this one too, The original part number cross reference is listed however when I check on the compatability list it says that its not but that's not to say it isn't. If you are not 100% sure contact them. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ignition-S...ec7ca#shpCntId

The same story here. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGE...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27dee57f44

Charlie if I was living nearer I'd gladly let you rob parts off my car to rule out any faulty ones on yours. I'm sure someone has a spare working one lying around collecting dust!

The Part No. 191 905 351 B

CharlieBus likes this.
  16. CharlieBus Forum Member

We have been head scratching today (luckily we didnt get splinters this time) lol

How much difference does back pressure make to these engines? by putting it in the bay we have only got half the length of exhaust at the most

17. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

My gut feeling says "no, that's not the problem". I could be wrong, I've been known to have dodgy guts sometimes.

I just bought a spare TCI unit that I'd be happy to forward onto you for testing purposes when it arrives, if you want? Guess I should pop it in my car first to make sure it works, but it is claimed to be new.

FWIW, the same gut suspects this will turn out to be a bad wire/connection. Has the hall sender connector at the dizzy been examined yet (sorry if this has been covered earlier)? I've seen corrosion on pins here before. Variability of symptoms might be explained by varying humidity, temperature, time of running?

18. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

The stock exhaust system is mostly straight through so I wouldn't of thought lack of back pressure would be an issue.

Keep posting symptoms and conditions. What is the idle like now? Do you have any history for the engine?

19. CharlieBus Forum Member

Cheers as always folks.

Quick update - Replaced the dizzy today and stuck the timing light back on it to ensure its all good, it is but guess what - no difference.

If it was the FPR (even we are using abbreviations and knowing what they mean now lol) wouldn't it do it all the time? Don't want to buy a replacement if its not likely. However, if you guys think different - where the eck do you find them - can't find one listed anywhere lol

Going to order a TCI Unit next I think :( Pretty sure its something electrical rather than mechanical as its not consistent enough if that makes sense.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  20. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

FPR is NLA from VAG sadly (can translate that if you like lol). I tend to agree that I'd expect it to give trouble all the time once the thing's busted (but have no personal experience to back that up).
    I found one on ebay from stateside recently using the Bosch number that cross-references to/from it: 0280160235. It was about 65 delivered I think though, so not a cheap test. I bought it to try to solve an idling problem that turned out to be a broken wire, discovered before I'd even fitted it [:$]. One day my FPR may fail and I'll be glad of having a spare to hand. :)

PM if you want to borrow the TCI I have coming, possibly tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014