equal length drive shafts

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by MUSHY 16V, Oct 26, 2008.

1. mickey marrows Forum Member

I have two passenger side shafts (solid type)..

I should point out the car is WIP and I can't gaurantee it will fit! but the shaft was very cheap from a breakers so it looked to be worth a look.. the layshaft I have is basically an extended output flange with a bearing carrier that bolts to the back of the block..

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

that is well interesting - have to be very careful with shaft lengths though especially in competition cars as if they are not spot on, lots of CV failures.....(as I have found with mix and match suspension parts from several vws)

with sharans etc, wonder what suspension they run? wishbones/subframes etc

3. brown bomber Forum Member

Was just thinking that if Sharans have this lay shaft and run an o2a box like I am, it might be interesting to find out what difference this would make before putting in an LSD. Fitting an LSD seems a lots of hassle compared to just bolting up a lay shaft to the back of the block and putting in a new drive shaft.

Mickey, do you have any pics of this shaft bolted up yet? Where abouts on the back of the block are you bolting this?

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Two different things mind, unless i am missing something?

ATB diff was the best purchace i ever made for my 2.1 mk1.

5. ryanp Forum Member

any progress on this??

6. thegave Forum Member

Did anyone ever get around to this?

Already have a Quaife in my Mk2 but it's still squirmy as a wormie so am considering going down this route...

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Have you had the camber & tracking checked / car 4-wheel alligned?

Road cambers also skew the impression that it's the car.

I don't know of any FWD VW trackday cars with equal length shafts, so that that basis, it's certainly an interesting thing for someone to do, but ?probably not the most urgent.

8. thegave Forum Member

Tracking was done a few months ago so it should be ok.

Need a pretty traumatic event to knock it out again?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It should be ok then.

Check the roads being driven on/where it does it. Crown of road, cambers etc. It'll get worse as the roads get wet/cold/grimey in the winter btw.

10. mk2sp Forum Member

Have to recover this topic as i am thinking in making my mk2 driveshafts equal. At the moment mk2 runs a 02S GLB gearbox and G60 driveshafts (same as Ibiza Cupra 20vt or mk3 Gti 16V).

Will the intermediate shaft from the Sharan/Galaxy fit with the 02s gearbox and G60 driveshafts? Will the bracket for the bearing bolt onto the 16V/G60/AEB block?
    Will the same combination out of a T-4 Transporter finally fit?
    Will an Opel Calibra turbo combination fit the VW transmission system?

11. KeithMac Forum Junkie

My Mitsubishi has the same setup (supported dummy shaft on lhs and equal driveshafts), it's awd as well. Must have been a reason for them to go to the trouble of fitting it?.

12. mk2sp Forum Member

Does nyone have any nore info/images on that?

Will a Sharan 02N gearbox dummy shaft fit a 02J/02S box?

13. idrivemyself New Member

I'm in for this as well. Equidistant drive shafts in my Mk I is something I've been planning for a while. My thoughts were of utilizing the 6x100mm output flange on the stock diff, making an insert cup with an extended drive shaft which then bolts to the stock output flange. That output drive shaft would then be supported by a block mounted sealed bearing of which another 6x100mm drive shaft cup would bolt to, and finally the axle itself would bolt to it.

Let me know if any of this makes sense. Otherwise I'll put a drawing together. Regardless of all of my idea, if a bolt-on OEM part can be sourced for a reasonable cost, then I'm all for that. :thumbup:

14. mk2sp Forum Member

These are the OEM solutions that we can follow and do not risk with DIY experiments. But which one will fit a 02J/02S gearbox?

15. mk2sp Forum Member

This fellow says he managed to do a ford galaxy layshaft (which is the same with the VW Sharan aka 02N gearbox) onto a 02J gearbox. It is the second option of the images above. Any info if its doable?? Has anyone managed it and can post some pictures?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  16. idrivemyself New Member

Exactly, we need proof of the concept without having to source a new transmission casing. Which seems more than likely it is going to be for not as it appears VW made the same transmission casing regardless of whether the model was Syncro/4wd or not. They just bolted the drive shaft extension housing to the existing casing so as to not have to create a new front housing and left drive shaft.

Part #3 on the 02S(?) box in the first photo you posted (copied from Andy947) looks promising as a bolt in option. Does anyone have access to that? I would do the leg work myself but doubt that the parts made it across the pond... :thumbd:

17. mickey marrows Forum Member

Its the second option that works (sort of). But you need an 02A gearbox that has the synchro type bellhousing The mounting of the 'torque tube' is the same as a synchro transfer box, which also means needing a synchro diff with the external spline for the muff (VW's name not mine!). 02J's (I believe) never came with this bellhousing. Funnily enough I just aquired an ABF with gearbox and that has the synchro type case. The first option above is readily available from Sharan breakers, however the spline on the end is not the same as the diff in a 02A/J for some reason.

Also to bear in mind that the engine doesn't sit in the same position (relative to the centreline) in mk1, mk2 and Sharan.. so effectively the Sharan intermediate shaft is too long...

18. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Interesting that the VWMS Gemini box I have has equal length shafts. The LSD and housing is bolted to the side on the off side of final drive housing and one CV joint in on the LSD housing and the other is in the std position, next to the final drive, on the near side. Clearly VWMS and Gemini thought it worth the effort.

My daily runabout has equal length shafts, it's not VW/Audi though, it's an MG ZTT diesel (Rover 75). The engine and box are the BMW 1.9/2.0 turbo diesel, same as a 320d - assume the shafts are BMW derived as well. What it has is a short shaft that goes to an outrigger bearing with CV joint bolted to the back of the block, making the long shaft the same size as the other one, again BMW considered it worth doing.

19. mickey marrows Forum Member

Is the MG ZTT rear wheel drive then?

20. idrivemyself New Member

Different spline count was another fear as well. Can you confirm what the number is for the Sharan?

Looks like it's back to the drawing board for another solution...