equal length drive shafts

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by MUSHY 16V, Oct 26, 2008.

1. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Nope FWD Mick. uses the M47? in the same orientation as the Freelander would.

Another one I have seen is the MK1 Focus with the IB5 box (ours is diesel), it has an intermediate bearing bolted to the block, but not separate shafts, the bearing is pressed onto the middle of the shaft.

2. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

No the 1.9's not, but the v8 is :thumbup:

It's a good point though, shows how much notice I take of it [:$]

Its a Getrag box, which I believe is linked with BMW, did BMW have a hand in the Freelander? Just sort of assumed it was all BMW derived.

Any way going off topic, sorry.

3. mk2sp Forum Member

What car is the first choice then? And what gearbox is that?

4. numbnuts Forum Member

5. numbnuts Forum Member

update coming.......

6. numbnuts Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    sparrow likes this.
  7. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`d really look at going over those welds with the welder on a higher power setting, or if it`s on MAX already, get someone with a better welder to go over it. Doesn`t look great penetration on those photos at all.:o

Interesting idea.

8. numbnuts Forum Member

Nothing wrong with my welds nige unless you have x-ray vision

9. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

That`s cool then :thumbup:

I can obviously only go from some photos and it appeared that you didn`t have great penetration and the weld was sitting on top of the steel. It`s thick metal and you need a good welder to get deep enough into that thickness. The one that I noticed first was the one nearest the gearbox, seen on the last pic the 2 welds fastening the black plate to the CV mount. They are vertical, there appears to be holes where the metal should melt.

If you`re happy with it, that`s fine. I was merely trying to help but with limited information I was always going on what I could see from a distance. ;)

This was some welding I did, from 4mm wall to 10mm on the main flange. I really had to turn up the amps to get a proper weld, so I was speaking from experience as I know it isn`t easy to get a good weld on thick plates if the welder isn`t up to it :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  10. numbnuts Forum Member

Thanks nige, yes yours looks nicer than mine, I did tack it into place first as I didn't want it to warp, not that it probably would. After I seam welded over other bits (not shown in those pics) and there was penetration on the rear of the plate so good enough for me. I used a Clarke turbo 510?

11. numbnuts Forum Member

Clarke 150te on its highest setting

12. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

helps if you grind where you're going to weld plate tends to have a scale on it
    that the weld sits on

with this type of mig welder you need to turn the feed up as well as the power
    as that turns the power up as well

a good test is to weld a two bit of plate like you did for you bracket and weld on one side
    take a big hammer and give it one big swing from the other side if it breaks you will see how much penetration you have

i would have ground vees on the edge of the plate if it had been me

other than the welds i like it

13. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Personally I'd go over a few of those weld too. I don't have x-ray vision (I have super human strength and a red cap though), but you only have to look at the top-left to see it's puddled on top of the surface and has zero penetration. Another tip I learnt from college, if you struggle with a shaky hand following the joint use some white chalk to draw a line next to it, you should see this reflect off the weld arc so you can follow :)

14. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Not too bothered about the welding, but I do like the idea.